Photo
- - - - -

What did you do to your YZ450FX today?

399 replies to this topic
  • NW_drZ

TT Silver Member

844 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 12:09 PM

The batteries come with strips dense foam which is used to fill in the empty space. Pretty painless stuff. The CCA are 180 so the bike spins a bit faster but the MaH is a bit lower so she doesn't have quite the storage of a larger battery. I'll run a large MaH battery when I flip my lights on just for added insurance. I also have the IMS 2.5g Drybreak unit for the FX. if anyone wants a cheap 2.9g YZF tank w/drybreak I have one...

Im guessing you can use a battery tender the same way if needed?  Also i just noticed you live in B.C.  I live in Seattle but grew up in Sooke.  I use to surf out there a bunch.  Last time i was there (about a year ago) i noticed dirt biking had got huge out in that area and I saw a ton of bikes on my way to Jordan River.  Noticed a bunch of trucks parked on the side of the street and trails leading everywhere.    Not sure if you know the area or even live by there, but thought I would check.  If so, is the riding out past Sooke any good?  Id imagine its similar to the nasty single track we have here in Western WA.    

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 30, 2016 - 02:16 PM

Got tired of this...

Well you supposed to actually start it, not just get exercise !!   :rolleyes:

• cubera, shrubitup and Monk like this
  • Like This

• Andrew Puetz

TT Bronze Member

234 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 06:50 PM

500 hour CRF450X with the AS Racing motor and suspension = freight train with knobbies for wider faster trail riding. Take no prisoners.....or tight corners...

0 hour YZ450FX with Enzo suspension set up = Monster trail bike and hill climber with some precision handling qualities. Got roost?

46 hour 430RR-RE with the BETA Factory Racing suspension set up = epic single track 'tool' with the ability to go fast if needed, if not too rough or fast. Stealthy Hooligan-mobile.

Yes, I am spoiled. No kids. Great job. Only a few years of riding left so why not.

What did you do to your YZ/FX today?

Put together my budget milling set up so I can modify the peg brackets.

Started reading up on the FX maps and mapping tool.

Trying to figure out a way to modify the stock left peg bracket with the kick stand so I can weld the kickstand portion on to the YZ peg bracket. 

Will we ever see Krannie on a 2 Stroke in the future?

Edited by Andrew Puetz, June 30, 2016 - 06:51 PM.

• Jeffijers

TT Bronze Member

380 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 08:03 PM

Monk, being you have had both and F and now FX can you make any comments on the raised rear suspension on the fx?

Do you prefer one vs the other for your style or riding? Fx is a very tall bike, and the higher rear end would through off the trail (obviously).

• Monk
23,689 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 01, 2016 - 06:50 AM

Monk, being you have had both and F and now FX can you make any comments on the raised rear suspension on the fx?

Do you prefer one vs the other for your style or riding? Fx is a very tall bike, and the higher rear end would through off the trail (obviously).

Both the bike are tall so the transition wasn't bothersome. I think the YZ450F is a powerful bike and that it literally jumps off idle, the chassis balance is really hard to find. I literally finished a small tour on my buddies 450FX this morning testing his Rekluse. The bike is bone stock but feels so much better and easier to ride then a 450f. It don't have that off idle hit as much as the 450F.

Putting ones ego asideaside, one bike that I still think is a killer machine is the 2016/2017 KTM 350. Something about that bike that stands out as a really really good all around bike. Good motor, super balanced, light feeling and very manageable. It's durability is at question as I see a healthy amount of maintenance being preformed on a particular one where as my Yamahas don't even get a look over...

Another bike I was impressed by was the new Kawi 450. It felt super light and really well planted, the motor spun up fast but still didn't have that "out of the hole" pulling torque that YZF does...Suspension felt really good too!

• Jeffijers

TT Bronze Member

380 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 07:00 AM

Both the bike are tall so the transition wasn't bothersome. I think the YZ450F is a powerful bike and that it literally jumps off idle, the chassis balance is really hard to find. I literally finished a small tour on my buddies 450FX this morning testing his Rekluse. The bike is bone stock but feels so much better and easier to ride then a 450f. It don't have that off idle hit as much as the 450F.

Putting ones ego asideaside, one bike that I still think is a killer machine is the 2016/2017 KTM 350. Something about that bike that stands out as a really really good all around bike. Good motor, super balanced, light feeling and very manageable. It's durability is at question as I see a healthy amount of maintenance being preformed on a particular one where as my Yamahas don't even get a look over...

Another bike I was impressed by was the new Kawi 450. It felt super light and really well planted, the motor spun up fast but still didn't have that "out of the hole" pulling torque that YZF does...Suspension felt really good too!

Thanks as always for the info. Funny you mention the 16+ 350. That is the other bike I have in question. That 350 you are referring to, bottom end or top end issues? 

Just looking for a great, race/trail bike. A 250 would suite 70% of my riding here in the north east perfectly. However I will spend 5-6 week out west in baja come fall. Figured a yzf detuned with a rekluse would be my answer. I could even swap in WR gears.  

• Monk
23,689 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 01, 2016 - 07:09 AM

Thanks as always for the info. Funny you mention the 16+ 350. That is the other bike I have in question. That 350 you are referring to, bottom end or top end issues?

Just looking for a great, race/trail bike. A 250 would suite 70% of my riding here in the north east perfectly. However I will spend 5-6 week out west in baja come fall. Figured a yzf detuned with a rekluse would be my answer. I could even swap in WR gears.

With the FX models available now, I wouldn't buy a YZF for trial riding. The 140w stator alone is worth the extra weight. Add in a wide ratio trans and e-start and it's a complete package. The suspension is also way better for offroad then the YZF.

The issues with the 350 are kinda everything. They seem really brittle. The seal head in the shock went, multiple footpegs, shifters and a brake lever, wheels dented easy, the motor only made a 100hrs, etc etc. Hadn't touched my 450 for 230hrs and it ran perfect
  • shrubitup, tmeyer37 and dr11 like this
  • Like This

• YHGEORGE

Get Help Now

13,366 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 11:26 AM

Sorry Monk but I'm confused. In the video, which bike are you riding? If buying again for all-round use which size would you get. I still compete in HS but really just having fun. Have always thought big bores were the most fun but I haven't ridden a new one.

• Monk
23,689 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 01, 2016 - 12:00 PM

Sorry Monk but I'm confused. In the video, which bike are you riding? If buying again for all-round use which size would you get. I still compete in HS but really just having fun. Have always thought big bores were the most fun but I haven't ridden a new one.

In the video, I'm riding my YZ450F. For all around use, if the trails you ride are fairly open, a 450FX would be my choice. If the trails were tighter, a 250FX. If I had to choose for an overall bike, I think at this point I would choose a 250FX over the 450FX.

If it doesn't have to be blue, you're starting from scratch and money was of little concern, the KTM 350xcf would be my #1 choice.

• shrubitup

brap

25,506 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 01, 2016 - 12:06 PM

If it doesn't have to be blue, you're starting from scratch and money was of little concern, the KTM 350xcf would be my #1 choice.

but you said the KTM was brittle earlier? :confused:

• Monk
23,689 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 01, 2016 - 12:36 PM

"money was of little concern"... Lol

Edited by Monk, July 01, 2016 - 12:36 PM.

• Jeffijers

TT Bronze Member

380 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 12:38 PM

Not KTM bashing but there has been some problems such as the front SX spokes breaking the nipples, bar mounts breaking, foot peg springs again.. breaking. 250SXF was recalled to have the dealer install softer clutch springs in order to take some of the pressure off the transmission (which was blowing 2nd gear i believe?). 

Bike weight, egos e-start weight etc are great. 

• shrubitup

brap

25,506 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 01, 2016 - 12:50 PM

Not KTM bashing but there has been some problems such as the front SX spokes breaking the nipples, bar mounts breaking, foot peg springs again.. breaking. 250SXF was recalled to have the dealer install softer clutch springs in order to take some of the pressure off the transmission (which was blowing 2nd gear i believe?). 

I'm done with European bikes. Done. Had Scorpa, Ducati, Husqvarna, KTM, and a GasGas. I'll just be a Luddite riding outdated heavy low tech Japanese bikes. :banana:

• cubera, KAM1 and Andrew Puetz like this
  • Like This

• Jaslater

TT Bronze Member

179 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 04:44 PM

I broke the bar mount, two stock foot pegs, brake pedal, shifters, starter clutches, cam chain tensioner, shock seal, seat badly worn, piston didn't last very long, map switch wiring is fragile, estart wiring is fragile. Like Monk said, bike has a great motor, really light. Too small of a bike for me though, It didn't fit me right at 6'5.

I am pretty good at breaking stuff though, I bent a shifter and bent brake pedal on my 450fx as well.

Edited by Jaslater, July 01, 2016 - 04:48 PM.

• mxrider4life847

TT Member

92 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 03, 2016 - 07:18 AM

New 450FX followed me home Friday.... Still in the break-in phase. My first 4 stroke since 2002. I am liking the way this thing feels already though. Certainly going to be some growing pains, coming from my YZ250 2T.

Happy 4th of July !ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1467559081.004509.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1467558752.199580.jpg
  • shrubitup, RMK800 and MXRIDERRMZ like this
  • Like This

• dr11

TT Gold Member

1,393 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 02:30 PM

I checked the hours on a friends bike and was pretty surprised.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1467585025.237881.jpg
  • Krannie McKranface and hondaman331 like this
  • Like This

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,026 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 04:57 PM

I checked the hours on a friends bike and was pretty surprised.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1467585025.237881.jpg

when was it rebuilt? What kind of riding?

• dr11

TT Gold Member

1,393 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 05:42 PM

when was it rebuilt? What kind of riding?

He rides woods and has never touched the motor. The previous owner claimed he rebuilt it but I don't believe it because it was a low hour bike then. I doubt he'll ever rebuild it so we'll see how long it'll go until it blows.

• WingNutRacing

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 06:31 PM

Bar risers?

Anyone try the Fastway 2 inch risers on their YZ450FX yet, wondering if all the cables will be long enough?

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 04, 2016 - 07:15 AM

Will we ever see Krannie on a 2 Stroke in the future?

Now that they are starting to make dirtbikes with balanced two stoke engines, it is possible, but not likely.

The vibration messes with my vision, making riding one no fun for me. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.