Photo
- - - - -

What did you do to your YZ450FX today?

399 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,490 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 02:48 PM

Venturing off topic a bit, but what is everyone using for an oil change interval?  The recommendation in the manual seemed pretty short but they usually are, I've been using 10 hours as a benchmark since 2006.  Any compelling reason not to go 10 hours on the FX?

• blbills

TT Bronze Member

108 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 23, 2016 - 03:05 PM

I change mine every 10. Filter every other.

• RMK800

TT Silver Member

862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 23, 2016 - 03:32 PM

I change mine every 10. Filter every other.

Same

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 23, 2016 - 03:41 PM

Removed the rear shock in prep for sending off the suspension for revalving.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,490 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 06:18 PM

I'm more than just a little bit disgusted right now.  Admittedly last ride I was a bit hard on the old girl, tackled a pretty technical section of trail that has several rock face climbs and just difficult terrain.  Yes I did tip the bike over several times but never went down super hard at speed.  Both my right radiator and right GYTR radiator cage are bent so badly that I can't get the GYTR fan I just received to fit.  $160 for a new radiator for a bike with 7.2 hours on it stings pretty bad... and then I still need to figure out how to make the cage straight... ugh. 

• NW_drZ

TT Silver Member

844 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 08:29 PM

I'm more than just a little bit disgusted right now. Admittedly last ride I was a bit hard on the old girl, tackled a pretty technical section of trail that has several rock face climbs and just difficult terrain. Yes I did tip the bike over several times but never went down super hard at speed. Both my right radiator and right GYTR radiator cage are bent so badly that I can't get the GYTR fan I just received to fit. $160 for a new radiator for a bike with 7.2 hours on it stings pretty bad... and then I still need to figure out how to make the cage straight... ugh.

Landing on rocks (assuming you did based on your description) unfortunately can and will do that. I'm sure other brand cages would of bent in a similar fashion. Sorry to hear regardless. I have wrecked at least 100+ times on my gytr cages and they haven't budged a bit. Hopefully you can get them straight enough to accommodate the fan.

Edited by NW_drZ, June 23, 2016 - 08:30 PM.

• shrubitup

brap

25,495 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 23, 2016 - 09:32 PM

I'm more than just a little bit disgusted right now.  Admittedly last ride I was a bit hard on the old girl, tackled a pretty technical section of trail that has several rock face climbs and just difficult terrain.  Yes I did tip the bike over several times but never went down super hard at speed.  Both my right radiator and right GYTR radiator cage are bent so badly that I can't get the GYTR fan I just received to fit.  $160 for a new radiator for a bike with 7.2 hours on it stings pretty bad... and then I still need to figure out how to make the cage straight... ugh. 

These are supposed to be more stout but I've not tried them

http://www.bulletpro...g-14-std-4t.htm

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 24, 2016 - 05:01 AM

Mohard Racing makes the best radiator protection system.

The cages limit fatal damage, but do not prevent damage.

Ony the billet front gaurds like the Mohard mostly eliminate crushing.

• YHGEORGE

Get Help Now

13,360 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 02:23 PM

Removed the rear shock in prep for sending off the suspension for revalving.

Who?

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 24, 2016 - 03:45 PM

Who?

Did you mean to whom I doth send?

Enzo Racing

• crash220

TT Newbie

7 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 26, 2016 - 10:28 PM

Here is a few things I added to my 2016 450fx, FMF 4.1 exhaust only, GYTR Hand guards.Electric Fan, Radiator guards, ODI Emig lock on grips, Light Speed protective electrical fuse box cover, Nitho case saver and Decal Works graphics. After photo was taken suspension was done by Pro Action. just a spring change 4.9 front and 6.1 in rear just to get the correct  sag numbers.

How do you like those GYTR handguards? I'm thinking about getting some myself. 

• crash220

TT Newbie

7 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 26, 2016 - 10:38 PM

I just became the proud owner of a YZ450FX this weekend. I only have a few hours on the bike but its a world of difference coming off of a '06 YZ450F.

2016 YZ450FX.JPG

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,490 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 09:06 AM

Landing on rocks (assuming you did based on your description) unfortunately can and will do that. I'm sure other brand cages would of bent in a similar fashion. Sorry to hear regardless. I have wrecked at least 100+ times on my gytr cages and they haven't budged a bit. Hopefully you can get them straight enough to accommodate the fan.

Well in 16 years of riding water cooled Yamaha's I've never had a radiator get this fudged with protection installed.  It's not horribly bent, but bent just enough to prevent the fan from fitting.  I'll have to get it pulled off and see if I can straighten it.  And yes I did tip over and drop the bike on some rocks a time or two, but I was not expecting to get this much damage from a low speed oops.  I've gone down MUCH harder on past bikes and not bent anything.

These are supposed to be more stout but I've not tried them

http://www.bulletpro...g-14-std-4t.htm

Thanks, I'll look into those further!

Mohard Racing makes the best radiator protection system.

The cages limit fatal damage, but do not prevent damage.

Ony the billet front gaurds like the Mohard mostly eliminate crushing.

My rad isn't crushed, it appears to be pushed up and back.

• RMK800

TT Silver Member

862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 27, 2016 - 01:01 PM

I just became the proud owner of a YZ450FX this weekend. I only have a few hours on the bike but its a world of difference coming off of a '06 YZ450F.

Ah, you bought that one on KSL.  I saw that last week.  Pretty good deal with the Rekluse and Scott's.   Any temptation in owning a different color?  Boy there is a lot of orange in this state.

Edited by RMK800, June 27, 2016 - 01:05 PM.

• crash220

TT Newbie

7 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 27, 2016 - 01:17 PM

Ah, you bought that one on KSL.  I saw that last week.  Pretty good deal with the Rekluse and Scott's.   Any temptation in owning a different color?  Boy there is a lot of orange in this state.

Yeah that is the bike. It was a good deal, especially since I talked him down a little from what he was asking. No, no temptation. I live in Heber where the bike I bought was conveniently located and I'm pretty good friends with the local Yamaha dealer. I've had really good experiences with blue bikes so that's what I tend to gravitate towards. Took it for a ride up Cascade on Saturday and I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear the whole time. This bike is amazing. 

• vossman23

TT Bronze Member

227 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 28, 2016 - 10:38 AM

I got an Enduro Engineering skid plate from their scratch and dent bin, easy 50% coupon. Need to decide on radiator braces now. That'll be all for me me unless/until someone comes up with a cheaper cover for the electrical box.

• WingNutRacing

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 12:08 PM

Hey fellas, newbie here, but thought I'd ask, I need some stout radiator cages, don't want this to happen again....
I was actually a bit impressed it didn't start leaking.... 20160612_123945.jpg

Edit, I see the aforementioned options now, thanks..

Edited by WingNutRacing, June 28, 2016 - 12:19 PM.

• YHGEORGE

Get Help Now

13,360 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 04:18 PM

Did you mean to whom I doth send?

Enzo Racing

Yes, thanks. Did not know they were into offroad.

Edited by YHGEORGE, June 28, 2016 - 04:21 PM.

• Frank Swindell

TT Member

42 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 04:34 PM

Very nice easy install plus they look good.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,490 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 05:47 AM

The GYTR handguards are just prettied up Cycra's.  If you're not one who cares so much about looks you can get basically the same thing from Cycra and save a few bucks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.