Photo
- - - - -

What did you do to your YZ450FX today?

399 replies to this topic
  • Jeffrey Dyment

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 12:13 AM

Added some AXP Radiator braces.  Never realized how flimsy they were.  Took about 15 minutes to install without having to remove rads.

Very happy with the look and quality of them.

Edit:  Picture of guards...

Attached Thumbnails

• yamaha-yz450fx-blue-2016.jpg

Edited by Jeffrey Dyment, June 06, 2016 - 12:18 AM.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,107 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 02:34 AM

Is that 2 clicks out from the middle setting?

Is anyone that weighs around 255lbs able to get 100mm of race sag with a decent static sag number? I have a 6.8 shock spring and 5.4 fork springs. To get 100mm of race sag I'm at around 14mm of static sag which I feel is not enough. But I don't think there's a higher rate spring. I'm running around 110mm with 25mm or so of static sag. Bike pushes a bit which is why I'd like to be closer to 100mm.

Linkage was greased when I got the bike home and there's no binding...

2 clicks counter clockwise from the stock setting of 9 I believe....whatever it is stock turn left 2 clicks

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,491 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 10:38 AM

For suspension I ended up setting my sag at around 100-102 (was having a hard time getting a consistent reading) then I backed out the compression on the forks 4 clicks and the rebound 2 clicks.  It's much better now, but still not perfect.  It still seems to like to climb out of ruts or uphill in general and sometimes the front is very planted and predictable, other times it's a complete crap shoot.  I'm wondering if the AT81 isn't partially to blame.  FYI I'm 200 in street clothes.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,107 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 10:47 AM

For suspension I ended up setting my sag at around 100-102 (was having a hard time getting a consistent reading) then I backed out the compression on the forks 4 clicks and the rebound 2 clicks. It's much better now, but still not perfect. It still seems to like to climb out of ruts or uphill in general and sometimes the front is very planted and predictable, other times it's a complete crap shoot. I'm wondering if the AT81 isn't partially to blame. FYI I'm 200 in street clothes.

get those forks up 4mm and try that.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,491 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 12:17 PM

get those forks up 4mm and try that.

4mm above stock, or 4mm from flush with the fork caps?

Added some AXP Radiator braces.  Never realized how flimsy they were.  Took about 15 minutes to install without having to remove rads.

Very happy with the look and quality of them.

Edit:  Picture of guards...

When you say "how flimsy they were" are you referring to the radiators or the AXP braces?  Is that your photo or from the AXP site?  Just curious because that photo if you look close you can just barely see the radiator fan on there, I thought I had been told those braces wouldn't work with the fan.

Edited by cowboyona426, June 06, 2016 - 12:18 PM.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,107 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 12:43 PM

When you say "how flimsy they were" are you referring to the radiators or the AXP braces? Is that your photo or from the AXP site? Just curious because that photo if you look close you can just barely see the radiator fan on there, I thought I had been told those braces wouldn't work with the fan.

4mm more then stock which should be the cap being flush.

• Jeffrey Dyment

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 07:39 PM

When you say "how flimsy they were" are you referring to the radiators or the AXP braces?  Is that your photo or from the AXP site?  Just curious because that photo if you look close you can just barely see the radiator fan on there, I thought I had been told those braces wouldn't work with the fan.

The radiators themselves.  It wouldn't take much of a drop to be ponying up for a new rad.  The braces should definitely minimize that happening.  My only complaint was the duties/brokerage fees from France.  I paid almost $60 on top of the hundred for the braces & shipping.  I contacted them about ordering another part and asked them if they could declare a lesser value on the part because of the fees.  They seemed genuinely concerned about the fees for shipping into North America and said they would get back to me a.s.a.p.  after they contact the broker and/or find a different shipping alternative.

Edit:  That picture is from their site.  My bike is at my mechanics at the moment or I would have taken a picture. I was guaranteed the radiator fan would fit.  I ordered the fan from Yamaha but it's out of stock until July 7th.

Edited by Jeffrey Dyment, June 06, 2016 - 09:41 PM.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,491 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 08:48 AM

4mm more then stock which should be the cap being flush.

Not on my FX, the forks were raised about 5mm off the showroom floor.

The radiators themselves.  It wouldn't take much of a drop to be ponying up for a new rad.  The braces should definitely minimize that happening.  My only complaint was the duties/brokerage fees from France.  I paid almost $60 on top of the hundred for the braces & shipping.  I contacted them about ordering another part and asked them if they could declare a lesser value on the part because of the fees.  They seemed genuinely concerned about the fees for shipping into North America and said they would get back to me a.s.a.p.  after they contact the broker and/or find a different shipping alternative.

Edit:  That picture is from their site.  My bike is at my mechanics at the moment or I would have taken a picture. I was guaranteed the radiator fan would fit.  I ordered the fan from Yamaha but it's out of stock until July 7th.

The radiators are super flimsy on these bikes.  I went with the GYTR radiator cages but I'm not all that thrilled with the fit.  Curious to see if the AXP's push the shrouds out like the GYTR cages do.  I was going to go with Works Connection braces but they told me they won't fit with the fan.  I ordered my fan kit back in March and I still haven't received it, supposed to be available June 20th last I heard.

• Jeffrey Dyment

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 08:59 AM

Not on my FX, the forks were raised about 5mm off the showroom floor.

The radiators are super flimsy on these bikes.  I went with the GYTR radiator cages but I'm not all that thrilled with the fit.  Curious to see if the AXP's push the shrouds out like the GYTR cages do.  I was going to go with Works Connection braces but they told me they won't fit with the fan.  I ordered my fan kit back in March and I still haven't received it, supposed to be available June 20th last I heard.

• Jeffrey Dyment

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:03 AM

There is no interference at all with the shrouds, they are very simplistic yet well designed. I will take some photos or a video for you when I get my bike back today or tomorrow.

• vossman23

TT Bronze Member

229 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 12, 2016 - 06:51 PM

Got my 450FX yesterday.

Edited by vossman23, June 12, 2016 - 06:56 PM.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,491 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 08:51 AM

There is no interference at all with the shrouds, they are very simplistic yet well designed. I will take some photos or a video for you when I get my bike back today or tomorrow.

Any luck with those photos?

• vossman23

TT Bronze Member

229 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 13, 2016 - 12:12 PM

I bought a PMB end cap to be USFS compliant but now I'm thinking it may be better to get a FMF slip-on. Will I feel or hear much difference with just the exhaust and not the whole pipe/header system?

• washington_rider

TT Bronze Member

343 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 03:16 PM

I bought a PMB end cap to be USFS compliant but now I'm thinking it may be better to get a FMF slip-on. Will I feel or hear much difference with just the exhaust and not the whole pipe/header system?

I put an FMF q4 on my bike. I like how it stayed quiet with the spark arrestor plug in for the trails. About same decibel level, just throatier. Didn't really get a chance to tell if there was a power difference between it and stock just because I put a tune on it at the same time. I also like having the removable spark arrestor for when I go to the track- it sounds great. My buddy has a FMF 4.1 on his '15 450f and has a similar sound... definitely louder than with the S.A. Could be just in my mind but feels a little peppier opened up.

Edited by washington_rider, June 13, 2016 - 03:17 PM.

• blbills

TT Bronze Member

108 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 14, 2016 - 11:18 AM

I'm in a bit of a bind and need some feedback.

I purchased a '16 yz450f set of graphics from Factory Effex for my '16 yz450fx.  I have known that the radiator shrouds are a bit different but only knew that they added additional area up front to improve cooling at low speeds.  When I went to match the graphics up it looks like they did much more than that to the shroud.  On the FX shroud they have also cut material away from the bottom portion behind the radiators.  Consequently the graphics don't fit.  Modifying the graphics is out of the questions as I would have to cut right through the middle of all the logos.

So no problem, right?  Just buy and "F" set of shrouds and be done with it.  Perhaps take a hit on low speed cooling.

I was wondering if I the '15 250FX shrouds are like the "F" or like the "FX?"  I was hoping to buy a whole new set of plastics at the same time. 

Thanks.

• XJHammer

TT Member

31 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 06:09 PM

Picked up a fx on friday then put the uinbiker rad gaurds, fmf ti pipe skid plate

Attached Thumbnails

• 1466042905314.jpg

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,491 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 05:22 PM

For those who have been asking about the Windham bars vs stock, I finally got some photos today comparing the 2 but they don't really do it any justice.  Despite what the photos show, the Windham bars feel much taller than the stockers.  Both are clamped to the little stick in as close to the "0" position as I could unscientifically get using my uncalibrated eyeballs and judgement clouded by having wisdom teeth yanked out yesterday.

IMG_20160616_174847264_zpsdzgqz4zy.jpg

IMG_20160616_174915398_zpsoo8jji5y.jpg

IMG_20160616_174931301_zpsfuw7lgy3.jpg

IMG_20160616_174953501_zpsw85bfihi.jpg

IMG_20160616_175003096_zps5q4lieze.jpg

They are enough taller in fact that on my last ride I noticed when I turn full lock to the left, it puts a fair bit of tension on the forward mounted cable and was pulling the rubber dust boot back.  I think modifying the routing to go down on the right hand side of the number plate mounting tang will solve the issue.

• cubera, RMK800 and Albu862 like this
  • Like This

• Krannie McKranface
36,181 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 16, 2016 - 09:12 PM

I tried to buy one today at three different dealers.

Two were sold out, and the other wanted me to pay retail.

I will keep looking.

• shrubitup

brap

25,536 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 17, 2016 - 07:53 AM

I will keep looking.

Wait for the 2017 KTM. It could make some 450FX owners eager to sell their outdated tech - that is if you would accept a used one.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,491 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 07:55 AM

I will keep looking.

I drove 3.5 hours for mine because none of the local dealers wanted to budge off retail.  One even went so far as to tell me that the one they had on the floor was sold and it was their last one.  Over a month later I went back in there and guess what... there sat a YZ 450FX in the exact same spot it was when I was trying to buy one.  Pretty sure that was the nail in the coffin for me, I don't think I'll go back there under any circumstances.

• Krannie McKranface and shrubitup like this
  • Like This

Related Content

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

x293x

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.