What did you do to your YZ450FX today?

399 replies to this topic
  • TheKillaCam

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 12:57 PM

Add a gytr brake lever.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1462144286.381787.jpg

How do you like the lever? I'm considering buying both the clutch and brake levers just like yours.

• RMK800

TT Silver Member

862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 02, 2016 - 02:10 PM

How do you like the lever? I'm considering buying both the clutch and brake levers just like yours.

I haven't taken a ride with them yet.  The brake feels good.   I accidentally ordered the wrong clutch,  What I like about viewing the clutch is that you can set the width.  So I can move it back and forth. The stock clutch does not have that feature.  I assumed the YZ450 was the same and its not.  Is yours a yz or fx?  Because I would send you the clutch before sending it back as a return if yours is a YZ.

• TheKillaCam

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 02:23 PM

I haven't taken a ride with them yet.  The brake feels good.   I accidentally ordered the wrong clutch,  What I like about viewing the clutch is that you can set the width.  So I can move it back and forth. The stock clutch does not have that feature.  I assumed the YZ450 was the same and its not.  Is yours a yz or fx?  Because I would send you the clutch before sending it back as a return if yours is a YZ.

Mine is a 2016 yz. PM me.

• RMK800

TT Silver Member

862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 02, 2016 - 03:27 PM

The Windham bend is closer to 1 1/4" taller than stock, and are also bent so that the hand position is moved forward of stock by at least that amount when the bars are adjusted so that the tops are flat.  There's no problem with any of the cables.  The Windham bend is excellent for any YZ/FX/WR.

Hey GreyRacer, when I look at Protaper web site it lists the YZ High specs, is that the same specs as would be stock?  I have read conflicting info on this.  Do you know the exact specs on stock handle bars?  Thanks

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 03, 2016 - 05:37 AM

I don't know for certain.  I know the YZ High listing you mention, but I'm not sure those duplicate stock bars.

• RMK800

TT Silver Member

862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 03, 2016 - 06:54 AM

Mine is a 2016 yz. PM me.

PM sent

• keeseckb

TT Member

95 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 04, 2016 - 07:28 PM

So far I have replaced the stock air filter with a K&N with outerwear and replaced the tubes with heavy duty ones. Next couple of days I'll get my Cycra Series One handguards with mongo mount, FMF 4.1 aluminum, Renthal grips and Decal Works number plate backgrounds installed. I'll post some pics as I go and maybe a before and after video of the stock exhaust vs FMF. 

Love this bike!!

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,213 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 05, 2016 - 06:50 AM

So far I have replaced the stock air filter with a K&N with outerwear and replaced the tubes with heavy duty ones. Next couple of days I'll get my Cycra Series One handguards with mongo mount, FMF 4.1 aluminum, Renthal grips and Decal Works number plate backgrounds installed. I'll post some pics as I go and maybe a before and after video of the stock exhaust vs FMF. 

Love this bike!!

You won't likely find too many fans of using K & N filters as they let fine dirt into the motor if it's used as a dirt bike.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 05, 2016 - 07:02 AM

K&N gauze filters, when oiled correctly, filter better than foam and with less resistance to air flow, but only for a little while. 

Because of the lack of cross sectional depth in the filter media, the load up sooner than foam elements, and once loaded. they start passing dirt through.  They're fine on a street bike, or if you're always the guy in front, or if there just never is any real dust to deal with, but in most real world conditions, they won't last one whole ride day without needing to be cleaned. 

• keeseckb

TT Member

95 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 05, 2016 - 08:10 AM

Surprised to hear that about K&N filters. I figured since they are used in GNCC racing and Baja that they would be up to snuff.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 05, 2016 - 08:22 AM

Well, I can't say that I agree with the practice. 

Consider how both the foam and gauze elements actually work.  The media itself is too coarsely "woven" in either case to do much about filtering the finer grit they encounter, so a sticky oil is applied to it.  The idea is that there being no straight line path through the media, the dirt will run into some part of it as it attempts to pass through, and will get stuck in the oil.  The filter, then, can only function properly until the oil on the element gets saturated with dust, after which new pieces of dirt will fail to be captured, and pass through.  Because of the much thinner media cross section in gauze filters, they have a reduced capacity for collecting and holding dust, and that capacity can be exceeded more rapidly than foam at any degree of dust exposure.

By actual test, gauze filters fail to stop dust for as long as foam does, even though they work a bit better before they load up.

• keeseckb

TT Member

95 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 10, 2016 - 12:55 PM

Got my number plate backgrounds from Decal Works, FMF 4.1 slip on and cycra handguards installed. Getting close to being complete. Here is a crappy pic in the garage right after I got the exhaust and graphics on. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160506_210430_resized.jpg

• Frank Swindell

TT Member

42 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 04:21 PM

Here is a few things I added to my 2016 450fx, FMF 4.1 exhaust only, GYTR Hand guards.Electric Fan, Radiator guards, ODI Emig lock on grips, Light Speed protective electrical fuse box cover, Nitho case saver and Decal Works graphics. After photo was taken suspension was done by Pro Action. just a spring change 4.9 front and 6.1 in rear just to get the correct  sag numbers.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160324_124233.jpg

Edited by Frank Swindell, May 10, 2016 - 04:28 PM.

• vossman23

TT Bronze Member

228 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 12, 2016 - 05:58 AM

That red looks really good against the blue, well done.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,070 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 03:30 AM

I bought the Yamaha swingarm sticker that comes on the yellow but not blue....this bike I will race stock, no need for any mods whatsoever.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1463830218839.jpg

• Albu862

TT Newbie

24 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 07:28 AM

Started with a scrub down, mounted some fresh knobbies and parked it in the apartment until the wet weather passes. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463844463.654233.jpg

• TheKillaCam

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 07:30 AM

I bought the Yamaha swingarm sticker that comes on the yellow but not blue....this bike I will race stock, no need for any mods whatsoever.

Where did you buy the swing arm decal?

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,070 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Where did you buy the swing arm decal?

local shop, it's an oem part.

• TN Dirt Rider

TT Silver Member

796 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 02:35 PM

Revalved the forks, previous owner had them super stiff.  Going to try them out tomorrow in the woods.

Also, drilled out relief hole in the free pistons since they weren't cracked yet.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,490 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 09:00 AM

Installed GYTR radiator cages on the beast yesterday, was hoping for better fit and finish from a Yamaha supplied part but happy to have some protection for the delicate radiators.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.