- - - - -

What did you do to your YZ450FX today?

399 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

TT Silver Member

862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 22, 2016 - 03:16 PM

I haven't had an vibration issues or clutch noise. Have over 60hrs, but I'll try to pay more attention on my next ride.

• mxrider4life847

TT Member

92 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 22, 2016 - 05:35 PM

The only strange noise I've heard was after a boil over, heard a loud ticking noise which sounded like a valve. It showed up very obvious after the bike warmed up... when I pulled my radiator off to straighten it, I noticed the coolant level was fairly low. Put rad back on and serviced, no more noise. And hasn't done it since.

Edited by mxrider4life847, September 22, 2016 - 05:36 PM.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 22, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Replaced the stock seals with SKV

Lowered the oild height from 315 to 305

Have not tried it out yet.

• RichDawson

TT Member

27 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 02:32 PM

Anybody got their eyeballs on a 2017 450FX yet? I'm (not very patiently), awaiting the arrival of one and am very stoked.i already have Rad Guards, rotor guards, skid plate, swingarm guard, bib mousse inserts, hand guards, tall seat, big tank, risers, new front tire, chainguid, frame guards, number plate backgrounds...just need a bike to put it all on.

• cubera
10,780 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 23, 2016 - 05:19 PM

50 mile solo ride. Motor is bone stock with linear mapping FMF Megabomb. It rips.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 23, 2016 - 05:58 PM

50 mile solo ride. Motor is bone stock with linear mapping FMF Megabomb. It rips.

Pretty amazing how these bikes are so neutral in handling and so smooth yet snappy in the power, huh....

I am still impressed.

Makes my fully built and set-up 450X feel like a muscle car with flat tires....

• cubera
10,780 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 23, 2016 - 06:39 PM

Bill, no doubt Yamaha got it right with the 450FX. :ride:  :thumbsup: 

• WiscoDisco

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 09:35 AM

supermoto kit.jpeg

I got things in the mail. Handlebars and grips went on for tomorrows hare scramble. Rest goes on tomorrow night! Pics to come...

• jwilson32

TT Bronze Member

103 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 01:28 PM

No noise in the clutch area on mine. I'm really digging this bike!

One issue is the brake pedal tip is a little week. I talked to Grant Baylor's mechanic Cory MacDonald a couple weeks ago at the enduro and they're having the same issue. Anyone found a good replacement tip? I ordered this one. It's a little longer although that may be a good thing as I have a size 13 boot and hit the shifter accidentally a lot. Ill have to bolt it on as the OEM is riveted on. I'll report back once I put some rides on it.

https://www.rockymou...acement-Toe-Tip

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 24, 2016 - 02:35 PM

No noise in the clutch area on mine. I'm really digging this bike!

One issue is the brake pedal tip is a little week. I talked to Grant Baylor's mechanic Cory MacDonald a couple weeks ago at the enduro and they're having the same issue. Anyone found a good replacement tip? I ordered this one. It's a little longer although that may be a good thing as I have a size 13 boot and hit the shifter accidentally a lot. Ill have to bolt it on as the OEM is riveted on. I'll report back once I put some rides on it.

https://www.rockymou...acement-Toe-Tip

I am making one out of thick sheet steel, to bolt to the side of the pedal, and the cleats will Fastway allen-spikes.

• NorCal

TT Addict

3,439 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 09:16 AM

Anybody got their eyeballs on a 2017 450FX yet? I'm (not very patiently), awaiting the arrival of one and am very stoked.i already have Rad Guards, rotor guards, skid plate, swingarm guard, bib mousse inserts, hand guards, tall seat, big tank, risers, new front tire, chainguid, frame guards, number plate backgrounds...just need a bike to put it all on.

What makes you so excited about the 2017? Isn't it just a 16 with black rims and the kickstarter removed?

• jwilson32

TT Bronze Member

103 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 09:26 PM

I just wanted to confirm that there's not a separate area for transmission fluid. I still can't believe this bike only takes .69 liters.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 28, 2016 - 07:33 AM

All the same oil volume.  The wet sump design just doesn't allow more oil storage than that.

• SurvivorMan

TT Bronze Member

276 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 11:06 AM

What are you guys running for a good head light setup?  Looking at stock WR, but I'm sure aftermarket has better options.

As for gearing, I found the bike to be geared too slow from the factory...too much engine breaking.  I sped things up to a 13/48 and really like that...so 14/51 once I need to order new sprockets.

• RMK800

TT Silver Member

862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 28, 2016 - 01:54 PM

Ya gearing is all personal preference. I ride very long downhill and tighter single track and like the lower gearing and engine breaking. I don't mind a little bit of top end loss.

• stevenfallover

TT Member

73 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 05:20 PM

What are you guys running for a good head light setup?  Looking at stock WR, but I'm sure aftermarket has better options.

As for gearing, I found the bike to be geared too slow from the factory...too much engine breaking.  I sped things up to a 13/48 and really like that...so 14/51 once I need to order new sprockets.

I put on the Baja Design XL Pro for a headlight, but we ride at night a lot. 

https://www.bajadesi...light-shell.asp

Edited by stevenfallover, September 28, 2016 - 05:32 PM.

• blbills

TT Bronze Member

108 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 28, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Decisions decisions...  I've got the leaky fork syndrome and I'm trying to debate what to do.  I've heard they made some improvements to the fork for 2017 so I compared the part fiches and it looks like they changed two things.  1) a revised oil seal, and 2) they added what they call a scraper between the oil seal and the dust seal.

Should I get these items and do a rebuild or transition to something aftermarket like the SKF's?  I don't understand what makes these so different from the 450F forks from a seal perspective?

• SurvivorMan

TT Bronze Member

276 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 11:21 AM

I put on the Baja Design XL Pro for a headlight, but we ride at night a lot. 

https://www.bajadesi...light-shell.asp

Looks like a great setup, but I'm sure I can find something that works great for around $100.  I have a Trail Tech HID helmet light that works amazing for aggressive night riding, the front headlight for me is only necessary to get me out of a late ride.

Did you wire it to the battery directly with a switch or into the wiring harness somewhere?

• stevenfallover

TT Member

73 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 11:24 AM

Looks like a great setup, but I'm sure I can find something that works great for around $100.  I have a Trail Tech HID helmet light that works amazing for aggressive night riding, the front headlight for me is only necessary to get me out of a late ride.

Did you wire it to the battery directly with a switch or into the wiring harness somewhere?

Directly to the battery. It draws 40 watts.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,490 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 01:53 PM

I'll be setting mine up with a 6" LED light bar and tying into factory wiring, with a switch to turn the light off and on as desired.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.