- - - - -

What did you do to your YZ450FX today?

399 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 07, 2016 - 02:46 PM

Which skidplate is better, Enduro Engineering or GYTR

The GYTR skid plate appears to have no holes at all in it.  And the "wings" are welded longer and wrap around more.  Any downsides to that ?

Hyde racing or EE are the most coverage

• gardwadt

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 06:51 PM

Has anyone tried the Devol rear shock adjustable linkage? And if so is it worth it.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 07, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Has anyone tried the Devol rear shock adjustable linkage? And if so is it worth it.

Lot's of things you should do before buying that trinket

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,212 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 08, 2016 - 04:14 AM

Which skidplate is better, Enduro Engineering or GYTR

The GYTR skid plate appears to have no holes at all in it.  And the "wings" are welded longer and wrap around more.  Any downsides to that ?

AXP makes a nice plastic one. http://www.thumperta...ket-skid-plate/

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 08:36 AM

FYI, Yamaha makes a kickstand removal kit for the YZ450FX and YZ250FX.  Part number B91-F73A0-V0-00. 

https://www.shopyama...mount?b=Helmets

The part number for the left footpeg mount itself is 17D-21447-00.  The kit appears to include a shorter bolt to replace the bolt that goes through the chain roller and a new cotter key.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 01:54 PM

AXP makes a nice plastic one. http://www.thumperta...ket-skid-plate/

I don't trust plastic skid plates.  The plastic wings deflect too much.  I missed taking out the water pump on my YZ250FX by an inch last weekend riding downhills between rocks. 

• jwilson32

TT Bronze Member

103 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 02:07 PM

I have a few quarts of Motul Synthetic 10w-60 oil left over from my KTM. Can I get away with running that or should I stick with the 15W-50?

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,212 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 08, 2016 - 02:19 PM

I don't trust plastic skid plates.  The plastic wings deflect too much.  I missed taking out the water pump on my YZ250FX by an inch last weekend riding downhills between rocks.

Hum if you look at the AXP it has the most water pump protection for the fx and WR. We used them on the 07-11 WR's and one out of three had a plastic seam crack.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 03:00 PM

If I don't like the protection on an aluminum skid plate, I'll TIG weld a piece onto it to provide more protection.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 09, 2016 - 11:20 AM

I have a few quarts of Motul Synthetic 10w-60 oil left over from my KTM. Can I get away with running that or should I stick with the 15W-50?

I wouldn't use a 60 wt in a YZF under any circumstance.  Too heavy.  Most people don't even need a 50 except in the hottest months of the year.

• RMK800

TT Silver Member

862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 11, 2016 - 01:12 PM

IMG_1473627828.854326.jpg

The GoldenTyre fatty. I have been trying this front tire for the last month with recommendation from Krannie. The tire is definitely wider then a stock 90. With this and a 120 rear, feels like a lot of rubber, which to me is a good thing. This tire is very good in about everything, but it's awesome in rocks, Little rocks, lots of rocks, big rocks you name it, it is very stable. If your looking for a new front, you should try this, it also holds itself up without washing out.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 11, 2016 - 01:18 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_1473627828.854326.jpg

The GoldenTyre fatty. I have been trying this front tire for the last month with recommendation from Krannie. The tire is definitely wider then a stock 90. With this and a 120 rear, feels like a lot of rubber, which to me is a good thing. This tire is very good in about everything, but it's awesome in rocks, Little rocks, lots of rocks, big rocks you name it, it is very stable. If your looking for a new front, you should try this, it also holds itself up without washing out.

Rode with it on my Beta today.

Took about 20 min to get used to it.

Zero understeer issues all day and rode over tons of rocks.

Pulled the forks to have the seals replaced; SKF will go in there. Stock ones appear to be crap.

Left one puked out most of it's oil and contaminated the pads, so they will have to be replaced. 

• mxrider4life847

TT Member

92 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 11, 2016 - 02:57 PM

Straightened my right radiator Friday... crushed my lefty today after cross rutting a stupid 20 ft double jump. Track was nasty.

Ordered a set of unibiker guards/cages, along with a fan for it on Wednesday... Thinking I'd be okay. So frustrating.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 07:05 PM

FYI, lost the back bolt on my plastic TMD skid plate on my YZ250FX during a really technical ride yesterday.  God knows how many rocks that plate slid over during the ride.  The bolt was tight 2 weeks ago when I changed oil.  Half way through the ride another rider tells me my skid plate is flapping around.  Sure enough, it is.   That will be the last plastic skid plate I run, although the factory plate on my 2012 WR450F seemed to survive OK.

I have GYTR skids plates ordered for the 250FX and the 450FX.  I wanted EEs but the price was right on the GYTRs.  I also dislike the vent holes on the EEs.  I think they would promote mud build up between the plate and the frame.  The GYTR plates are ugly.  My friend has one.  It is pretty bent up, but it is doing the job.

• jwilson32

TT Bronze Member

103 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 01:27 PM

You should NEVER EVER ride this bike without full riding gear.

What?? I have way more important things to spend my money on than some dang gear.... I've already put on a pipe, header, motor work, you name it. Still plenty of more stuff to throw at this beast! I want to be able to breathe on the throttle and the front wheel is up and dropping panties! Gear? I don't need no stinking gear!

• jwilson32

TT Bronze Member

103 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Guess I was the only one that thought my last post was funny! haha.... BTW, I was kidding. Of course I wear gear and no I didn't mod the motor. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• LDF-2016 (2).jpg

Edited by jwilson32, September 13, 2016 - 06:52 PM.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,490 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 06:30 AM

Guess I was the only one that thought my last post was funny! haha.... BTW, I was kidding. Of course I wear gear and no I didn't mod the motor. :)

Don't be a sissy.  I go full Ronnie Mac when I ride, zero you-know-what's given. 'Cuz when I die, I wanna look dead!

• RMK800

TT Silver Member

862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 17, 2016 - 05:16 PM

IMG_1474161267.091501.jpg

I had a few bills in credit at RockyMTN so I added some bling.... I know I know they will scratch, I don't care, I can put the stock back on. By the way they are slightly lighter then stock.

Edited by RMK800, September 17, 2016 - 05:21 PM.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,490 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 03:44 PM

Is anybody else noticing a lot of noise from the clutch when riding and/or a fair amount of vibrations?  I'm at just over 20 hours on the meter and around 9 on this oil, the clutch noise is very obvious when riding and the bike seems to vibrate a lot more than I think it should.  Maybe I'm just getting more sensitive in my old age...

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,490 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 03:11 PM

Is anybody else noticing a lot of noise from the clutch when riding and/or a fair amount of vibrations?  I'm at just over 20 hours on the meter and around 9 on this oil, the clutch noise is very obvious when riding and the bike seems to vibrate a lot more than I think it should.  Maybe I'm just getting more sensitive in my old age...

Nothing, is nobody else riding right now?!  To add clarification, the noise seems to be worse in slow, technical single track... IE, when the rest of the engine is relatively quiet.  Seems to get worse when you let off the throttle and let the engine braking do it's thing.

Side note, but I had an odd failure today.  I tipped over in a steep, rocky section of trail and when I picked my bike up, I went to squeeze the front brake and it went straight to the bars.  Somehow in the tip-over a rock grabbed the banjo fitting at the caliper and yanked it left, loosening the banjo bolt.  I snugged the banjo bolt back down and everything is fine luckily.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.