- - - - -

What did you do to your YZ450FX today?

399 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface
36,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 29, 2016 - 06:27 AM

I live in Apple valley.

When you say the pulse frequency will go up, I don't understand this completely.

Are you saying the engine will be slightly less smooth?

No, it will be more smooth.

It's all very subtle, but when you are in a low traction situation the additional throttle response is very welcome.

It's not about more power, it's about better power.

As the exhaust pressure wave arrives at the end of the exhaust pipe, part of the wave is reflected back towards the cylinder as a negative pressure (or vacuum) wave.  This negative wave, if timed properly to arrive at the cylinder during the overlap period can help scavenge the residual exhaust gases in the cylinder and also can initiate the flow of intake charge into the cylinder.  Since the pressure waves travel at near the speed of sound, the timing of the negative wave can be controlled by the primary pipe length for a particular rpm.

• jwilson32

TT Bronze Member

102 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 01:49 PM

It looks pretty. Pipes don't generally change much in jetting and or timing. Play with the tuner on the timing the bike will be much more peppy with +'s on the timing or more tamed with 0's or -'s. The fuel is less noticeable. I can text you my map I'm running. I haven't found any rights or wrongs it's just what you like.

Hey Steve,

I'd be interested in trying what you are using. I'm running the FMF 4.1. I'm in MO which is only about 500-800' above sea level. I'd like it to be mild on the bottom and smooth through the top. Our hare scrambles are tight, rocky, rooty single track so a smoother bottom would be awesome!

You can PM me if that's cool. 

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 29, 2016 - 02:00 PM

Hey Steve,
I'd be interested in trying what you are using. I'm running the FMF 4.1. I'm in MO which is only about 500-800' above sea level. I'd like it to be mild on the bottom and smooth through the top. Our hare scrambles are tight, rocky, rooty single track so a smoother bottom would be awesome!

Sure you can try it but you might want to lesson the first part of ignition. My map is almost all +4's with some +3's in the beginning.

• Krannie McKranface
36,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 29, 2016 - 06:40 PM

Hey Steve,

If you have an FX, the WR map numbers will not be relative.

Both start at different base settings, but both read all zeros.

No one knows what the base map actually is for each bike, .....or how to quantize it in a way that makes any sense...

Here is what I am using on my FX.

Power is linear, limited chance of whiskey throttle, and if you turn the throttle far, it feels very robust.

I ride partial throttle mostly all day with 'whacks' of throttle as needed. 

I reduced the igniton timing to -2 on 1/8 throttle at low and mid rpms.

All other settings at 0.

I increased fuel to +3 on all settings accept 1/8 throttle, still at 0.

• The Anvil

Get Help Now

7,708 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 06:44 PM

Krannie, did the timing reduction at 1/8th throttle help with the low speed lugging?

• mxrider4life847

TT Member

92 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 29, 2016 - 06:50 PM

Here's a little action of me and my FX this past sat. Still getting used to the gearing and engine braking. Ended up busting out 3 solid 8 mile laps with consistent flow. Bark busters will go back on soon along with some radiator guards... Then I will be lining it up at the races, finally.

https://splice.gopro.../v?id=V1oM09x6L

Edited by mxrider4life847, August 29, 2016 - 07:12 PM.

• blbills

TT Bronze Member

108 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 04, 2016 - 08:38 PM

A few FX gripes:

1) Tubes suck.  I've ridden trails all my life and have never gotten a flat tire. Yes call me lucky.  However my luck ended with the FX when on two separate rides I got a flat front and then a flat rear.  I had to ride out 15 miles on the rear and ended up destroying the tire too :-(  Running 13 psi.  Going to replace the rear with a tubliss setup to give that a try.

2) Does anyone else have leaky fork seals?  I've ridden this bike pretty hard but can't say that I've done anything to warrant blown fork seals.  I thought that I saw the 2017 release notes included revised fork seals.  Is this true?  Warranty repair?

Don't get me wrong I love this bike and will be keeping it for a while.  Was keeping my ear to the ground on the new Honda RX release but think they missed the boat a bit.  Was hoping that that bike would be a lot lighter but it isn't and they didn't do anything special with the tranny like Yamaha did with the FX.

• Finchy637

TT Member

30 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 08:58 PM

A few FX gripes:

1) Tubes suck. I've ridden trails all my life and have never gotten a flat tire. Yes call me lucky. However my luck ended with the FX when on two separate rides I got a flat front and then a flat rear. I had to ride out 15 miles on the rear and ended up destroying the tire too :-( Running 13 psi. Going to replace the rear with a tubliss setup to give that a try.

2) Does anyone else have leaky fork seals? I've ridden this bike pretty hard but can't say that I've done anything to warrant blown fork seals. I thought that I saw the 2017 release notes included revised fork seals. Is this true? Warranty repair?

Don't get me wrong I love this bike and will be keeping it for a while. Was keeping my ear to the ground on the new Honda RX release but think they missed the boat a bit. Was hoping that that bike would be a lot lighter but it isn't and they didn't do anything special with the tranny like Yamaha did with the FX.

I've gotten flats in both my front and rear tires as well. I put an ultra heavy duty tube in them both and I've had no problems since.

I got into a big wreck in may which put my out for 10 weeks with a broken back and when I got back onto the bike I noticed one of my fork seals with leaking just a little bit. It was only leaving a very light oil ring but it went away after a wash bleeding and a few rides.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 01:22 PM

I took delivery of a used YZ450FX yesterday.  9.5 hours on it, the knobs on the back tire aren't even rounded.  One radiator has been deformed a bit, though.  Just like new otherwise.  I haven't ridden it yet.  It needs a bunch of set up before I'll be comfortable on it.

I've been riding a YZ250FX all summer.  I love it in tight woods and when it is slippery.  It is a bit under powered.  Going from 13/51 to 13/53 made a big difference just about everywhere - lifting the front wheel on the trail, restarting a climb from a near dead stop, and makes second and third gear way more usable.  I put a Shorai battery in it, removed the kick stand, removed the kick starter and installed aftermarket foot pegs.  It isn't a featherweight, but it is an awesome handling bike.  If only it had more power...

The 450FX has the exact same geometry as the 250FX.  If I can get the 450 to handle nearly as good as the 250, I'll love it too.

The 250FX is my favorite woods bike thus far.  A lot of people have said I should buy a YZ250X.  The problem is that I haven't ridden one that has impressed me yet.  I haven't ridden a 250X and all the YZ250s I've ridden have been poorly set up - suspension, powerband, jetting, etc.  I ride with a guy who rides a YZ250.  Great bike except his suspension is terrible and it is pipey.  When it is slippery, he gets sideways a lot and crashes every time we ride in slippery conditions.  He badly sprained his wrist on the first snow ride last fall.  I did the same ride on my WR and had no issues.

I've ridden several KTM 350s.  I see why people like them - nimble, light, etc.  But it seems everyone who rides them hard has engine issues.  My 250FX is way more stable than the 350s I've ridden.  300s for that matter too.

I'm not a racer so things like durability and cost mean a lot to me.  I bought both my 250FX and 450FX used.  Together I paid about 20% more than what a new KTM 350XCF would have cost.  By the time you figure in that the KTM needs more maintenance and more suspension work, not to mention an expensive linkage guard, I could have 2 FXs for the cost of a single 350. It is a no brainer for me, especially because the wheels interchange on them.

Steering push and heavy steering are symptoms of too much sag.  Forget about the tape measure, either decrease the sag or raise the forks in the clamps until it steers properly on the front wheel with no push.

• cubera and mxrider4life847 like this
  • Like This

• mxrider4life847

TT Member

92 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 05, 2016 - 03:47 PM

Let's see, I boiled mine over, crushed my radiator got it caught in a tree....

After having my 450FX for a couple months now and generating a little over 14 hrs on the bike so far, this weekend I rode with some buddies, and managed to get caught up in some slow traffic during some tight trail riding... This is when I began to smell my first boil over.

I had been doing good, keeping the lead, then when I stop to wait on others, I shut it down to limit idle run time. ( love that E start ). But ended up getting caught up in some hill climbs that were tough to keep up the momentum.

I do not like air in my engine cooling system, because detonation and other things that I can feel when it gets hot. So I will be making some changes myself.

I don't really have the cash to fork over for a new and improved water pump, yet. But, I will add the gytr fan kit, some Evans coolant, and mostly out of curiosity... I am going to get one of those tusk water temp gauge caps.

My left rad is crushed... Allowing my front fender and brake line loop hit the rad shroud. It's minimal, but annoying. I'm gonna get a set of braces, and put one on the right side with the fan. Then eventually get a new left side rad half. I was not a happy dude, because it was a silly, stopped on an up hill, lost balance drop. I knew it happened, because i heard it!

Moral of this story.... For anyone out there who has not done so....

PUT SOME RADIATOR BRACES ON.

• RMK800

TT Silver Member

862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 05, 2016 - 08:20 PM

^^^ get a radiator fan. Seems to work well no boil issues.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 08:40 AM

I was also thinking of going to a 52 in the rear. First is low but not low enough for really technical trails.

I am running 13/50 and it feels fine for everything but come-to-a-stop type trails.

The magazine reviews said that 1st was so low it was almost useless.  Ha ! 

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,490 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 11:55 AM

I rode mine this weekend, I think it was mad at me for having sat for so long because it was being a cranky ass in the rocks.  I need to send the radiators out to Myler's to get straightened so I can put my GYTR fan on it.

• Krannie McKranface
36,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 06, 2016 - 12:07 PM

A few FX gripes:

1) Tubes suck.  I've ridden trails all my life and have never gotten a flat tire. Yes call me lucky.  However my luck ended with the FX when on two separate rides I got a flat front and then a flat rear.  I had to ride out 15 miles on the rear and ended up destroying the tire too :-(  Running 13 psi.  Going to replace the rear with a tubliss setup to give that a try.

2) Does anyone else have leaky fork seals?  I've ridden this bike pretty hard but can't say that I've done anything to warrant blown fork seals.  I thought that I saw the 2017 release notes included revised fork seals.  Is this true?  Warranty repair?

Don't get me wrong I love this bike and will be keeping it for a while.  Was keeping my ear to the ground on the new Honda RX release but think they missed the boat a bit.  Was hoping that that bike would be a lot lighter but it isn't and they didn't do anything special with the tranny like Yamaha did with the FX.

My left stock seal went in 10 hours.

Replaced them with SKF seals (and lowered my oil height 10cc)

No warranty on these bikes.

• mxrider4life847

TT Member

92 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 06, 2016 - 06:20 PM

I rode mine this weekend, I think it was mad at me for having sat for so long because it was being a cranky ass in the rocks. I need to send the radiators out to Myler's to get straightened so I can put my GYTR fan on it.

Are you going to run braces, or cages? I could have sworn I had seen some GYTR braces, but now all I see are the cages that go around the outboard edges.

Obviously I want something that will work with the fan kit... I was wanting the works connection braces but they won't work with the fan installed.

• cowboyona426

Get Help Now

5,490 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 07:13 AM

Are you going to run braces, or cages? I could have sworn I had seen some GYTR braces, but now all I see are the cages that go around the outboard edges.

Obviously I want something that will work with the fan kit... I was wanting the works connection braces but they won't work with the fan installed.

I have the GYTR cages.  Not overly thrilled with them, they bent on the first ride on a low speed gentle tip-over.  I bought these because I knew they'd be compatible with the fan.  If I were to do it over again, I'd go with the Bullet Proof guards.

• Krannie McKranface
36,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 07, 2016 - 07:15 AM

Krannie, did the timing reduction at 1/8th throttle help with the low speed lugging?

Yes.

Helped with the on/off throttle lurching.

It was not bad stock, not like a YZ, but I just wanted to try it.

• jwilson32

TT Bronze Member

102 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 10:52 AM

If you have an FX, the WR map numbers will not be relative.

Both start at different base settings, but both read all zeros.

No one knows what the base map actually is for each bike, .....or how to quantize it in a way that makes any sense...

Here is what I am using on my FX.

Power is linear, limited chance of whiskey throttle, and if you turn the throttle far, it feels very robust.

I ride partial throttle mostly all day with 'whacks' of throttle as needed. 

I reduced the igniton timing to -2 on 1/8 throttle at low and mid rpms.

All other settings at 0.

I increased fuel to +3 on all settings accept 1/8 throttle, still at 0.

Thanks for the heads up Krannie!! I'm still trying to figure the mapping out and will definitely try your suggestions. Just out of curiosity, what does increasing the fuel do? Does that make it run a little richer on bottom and smooth it out? And when you say you increased the FI +3 except for 1/8 throttle, is that o at 1/8 on all rpm's or just the lowest rpm? 

Lastly, my bike doesn't boiler over but it seems to run really hot. I was riding some trails around the house with just running shoes on and it was really hot on my left leg. I know the header wraps around the motor there but is that normal? Just as soon as I brought it in, I hooked up the tuner and it was at 214* I believe. That sound about right? I mean I wasnt putting around in 1st gear. I was probably running a fast 2nd or slow 3rd gear pace. 

Thanks again brother!

• Krannie McKranface
36,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 07, 2016 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up Krannie!! I'm still trying to figure the mapping out and will definitely try your suggestions. Just out of curiosity, what does increasing the fuel do? Does that make it run a little richer on bottom and smooth it out? And when you say you increased the FI +3 except for 1/8 throttle, is that o at 1/8 on all rpm's or just the lowest rpm? 

Lastly, my bike doesn't boiler over but it seems to run really hot. I was riding some trails around the house with just running shoes on and it was really hot on my left leg. I know the header wraps around the motor there but is that normal? Just as soon as I brought it in, I hooked up the tuner and it was at 214* I believe. That sound about right? I mean I wasnt putting around in 1st gear. I was probably running a fast 2nd or slow 3rd gear pace. 

Thanks again brother!

Again, the wrap around exhaust is while it feels hot.

You should NEVER EVER ride this bike without full riding gear.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 02:29 PM

Which skidplate is better, Enduro Engineering or GYTR

The GYTR skid plate appears to have no holes at all in it.  And the "wings" are welded longer and wrap around more.  Any downsides to that ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 07, 2016 - 02:37 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.