2014-15" yz450 owners! Handling set ups!

11 replies to this topic
  • yzUSMCf

Posted March 29, 2016 - 11:46 AM

Share what you have found that works best for cornering on these bikes.

I seem to have an issue keeping the bike laied over in the ruts! The bike wants to stand up..Pissing me off. Might be me ..might be my settings im not sure.. stock suspension and forks slid up in the clamps about 3mm.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1459280757467.jpg

• 15thumper

Posted March 29, 2016 - 11:51 AM

Put a 18" rim on it

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2016 - 01:21 PM

An 18" rim does nothing to promote cornering....

• 15thumper

Posted March 29, 2016 - 01:31 PM

Really? Well I know from experience a 18" wheel stays in ruts alot better than the bigger 19"

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2016 - 09:16 PM

Well, see, here's the problem: Both tires are the same size.

A 110/90 x 19 is a 19" tire that measures a nominal 110 mm across the tire body, and is 90% as tall, measuring rim to tire body (not tread), so that's 110/25.4 = 4.33", to begin with.

Then, 4.33 x 0.9 = 3.90 for the tire height x 2 = 7.80 + the 19" rim is 26.80"

Whereas a 110/100 x 18 is an 18" tire that measures a nominal 110 mm across the tire body, and is 100% as tall, measuring rim to tire body.  Here, it's 4.33 for the height of the tire, x 2 = 8.66 + 18 = 26.66"

So, whatever it is that's different now that the bike stays in ruts, it's not the "smaller" 18" tire.  Could be tread design, or the cumulative effect of other changes.

• Drenmaster

Posted March 30, 2016 - 10:17 AM

Will stock suspenion work for your weight? If so is your sag set properly?

On my '14 i use applied racing 20mm tripple clamps, JGR lowering link and the '15 motor mounts. Between those the bike handles very good. Really happy with it. I tried running the forks flush with the clamps but i ended up raising them just a little. See pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Edge316

Posted March 30, 2016 - 10:34 AM

I agree with Drenmaster....Is suspension set up for your weight? If your using the correct spring rate then consider trying a lowering link or different triple clamp. On my 16 yz450f I had Enzo install a 2.5 mm spacer in the shock which is similar to running the longer linkage. It definitely improved the turning.

• yzUSMCf

Posted March 30, 2016 - 11:25 AM

Its stock im 205 which is close with the stock spring rates. I also have the 15' upper mounts . i think the bike wants to stand up because its tall i wanted to get the lowering link but ive read it didnt do much on the bike. What is the stock offset ?

• Phil Hannah

Posted March 30, 2016 - 01:53 PM

Its stock im 205 which is close with the stock spring rates. I also have the 15' upper mounts . i think the bike wants to stand up because its tall i wanted to get the lowering link but ive read it didnt do much on the bike. What is the stock offset ?

Liked the link on my 15. Made the bike better in accel chop and braking bumps and slightly better in lean in and I only dropped forks mm or two compared to stock link. If you don't already do it pushing outside knee against bike helps in turn initiation and staying leaned over.

• yzUSMCf

Posted March 30, 2016 - 02:06 PM

Liked the link on my 15. Made the bike better in accel chop and braking bumps and slightly better in lean in and I only dropped forks mm or two compared to stock link. If you don't already do it pushing outside knee against bike helps in turn initiation and staying leaned over.

my form may be to blame im no pro . anyone else feel that its hard to keep leaned over in tight rut corners?

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted March 30, 2016 - 03:42 PM

Share what you have found that works best for cornering on these bikes.

I seem to have an issue keeping the bike laied over in the ruts! The bike wants to stand up..Pissing me off. Might be me ..might be my settings im not sure.. stock suspension and forks slid up in the clamps about 3mm.

Love the graphics theme.  Thank you for your service. OoRah!!!

Edited by Dr.Crankenstien, March 30, 2016 - 03:50 PM.

• Stickerking

Posted April 01, 2016 - 03:58 PM

I have the same bike, I feel it too.
I can get on my 12 300 Xc and rail ruts no problem which makes me believe it's more the chassis design geometry differences between the bikes that no amount of sag and fork height adjustments will influence.
Of course you can change triples etc and maybe get a result but I won't be forking out for those in a hurry.
I run the MXA settings 105 sag and 4 mm up in the clamps which improved it dramatically from delivered however it just won't naturally hold a rut, wants to climb out.
The incredible throttle response seems to unsettle the chassis for me, give it a bit and I get too much, hardly helpful in a rut.
I love the bike though and will put up with it and try to adapt my riding style, it's awesome in any other part of the track.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.