SWM the new red varese (husky) machines

K 3 of us took out the RS300R and RS500R with my ex 08 TXC450 Husky (with CB shaft mod).. the SWMs are very nice looking/to me very Italian.
As for tech straight up they are for the 95% a 2010 TE310 (big block) and the latest of the TE510 series.
They both have very friendly KYB front and rear suspension , forks are same open chamber KYBs that were on my 2011 TE310 black head x-lite which after a full boat Race Tech massage were some of the best forks Ive ever used (for my riding type and skill level). They both have the EU FIM enduro tires Michelins. And by appearances have all the same controls or equal to those Red Huskys in MY10. My preference was the RS300R and I believe with some "cleaning" up she could really perk up, the same can be said about the RS500R which will and should be "cleaned" up to unleash the dogs.....however I should add that as is in full DS trim the RS300R had real sweet higher RPM torque spot that pulled my 215lb carcass up some long and fairly steep loose sandy power robbing hills.
for reference
we should see some photos and a write up on moto.it Pietro was with us and did some foto shoots for the site.
http://www.moto.it/

• Like 1

K 3 of us took out the RS300R and RS500R with my ex 08 TXC450 Husky (with CB shaft mod).. the SWMs are very nice looking/to me very Italian.

As for tech straight up they are for the 95% a 2010 TE310 (big block) and the latest of the TE510 series.

They both have very friendly KYB front and rear suspension , forks are same open chamber KYBs that were on my 2011 TE310 black head x-lite which after a full boat Race Tech massage were some of the best forks Ive ever used (for my riding type and skill level). They both have the EU FIM enduro tires Michelins. And by appearances have all the same controls or equal to those Red Huskys in MY10. My preference was the RS300R and I believe with some "cleaning" up she could really perk up, the same can be said about the RS500R which will and should be "cleaned" up to unleash the dogs.....however I should add that as is in full DS trim the RS300R had real sweet higher RPM torque spot that pulled my 215lb carcass up some long and fairly steep loose sandy power robbing hills.

for reference

we should see some photos and a write up on moto.it Pietro was with us and did some foto shoots for the site.

http://www.moto.it/

Robert, that's good the hear!  ?

More detailed pictures of the SWM RS 340 S :

http://www.motoblog.it/post/748327/swm-mc-250-s-e-rs-340-s-2016

The RS 340S is clearly not the same as the RS 300 R ...

http://www.motoblog.it/post/737657/swm-gamma-enduro-2015-il-nostro-test

At some point I guess it would make sense to standardize engine production, at least in this segment (250-450).

Ehila' Robertaccio, where are you based, US or IT ?

Edited by Herb H

Im thinking (I never seen one live)the 340 is the re-engineered x-lite power plant (I say that because it looks like they have internal oil passages) in what looks like a WP built chassis or very similar frame design(looks KTM/Husky type). Yes WP can/does contract out chassis building services. Word I got is no plan yet for them in the US, for now only RS500R and RS650R DS machines.

Im in San Diego and have no real affiliation with SWM USA other than that Motoman is friend and knows I have owned and raced Red huskys and wanted someone familiar with the ergos to ride the SWMs,,,,along with a former pro/trophy team rider, to break the bikes in before a magazine gets a hold of them.

PS they use the SM type subframe with the dual can set up and they for sure are using the CB shaft assy, due to how smooth they both were.

Edited by robertaccio

Im thinking (I never seen one live)the 340 is the re-engineered x-lite power plant (I say that because it looks like they have internal oil passages) in what looks like a WP built chassis or very similar frame design(looks KTM/Husky type). Yes WP can/does contract out chassis building services. Word I got is no plan yet for them in the US, for now only RS500R and RS650R DS machines.

Im in San Diego and have no real affiliation with SWM USA other than that Motoman is friend and knows I have owned and raced Red huskys and wanted someone familiar with the ergos to ride the SWMs,,,,along with a former pro/trophy team rider, to break the bikes in before a magazine gets a hold of them.

PS they use the SM type subframe with the dual can set up and they for sure are using the CB shaft assy, due to how smooth they both were.

Robert, Macchi and his team have taken the x-lite down to it's basic shell and rebuilt it from the ground up using only what was proven and worked.

The new 340 is everything the original motor was suppose to be before BMW F-d it up and then attempted to fix it with BMW bandaids.

This new 340 x-lite based motor should be bullet-proof as all other Macchi Cagiva/Husqvarna designs.  ?  

• Like 1

Was talking to George Erl of OC Husqvarna yesterday ... Very knowledgeable guy, said x-Lite motor was a BIG mistake ... to impress reviewers and magazines they lightened up the motor, which affected durability. Never should have touched what was known to work, and work well.  Another thing, don't get him started on those chinese (or indonesian) bearings.

I am guessing the RS 300 R will only be manufactured as long as they have 300cc engines leftover from the KTM agreement ?   I have been told SWM is leasing the Biandronno (Va) factory from KTM, the current owner.

Edited by Herb H

Was talking to George Erl of OC Husqvarna yesterday ... Very knowledgeable guy, said x-Lite motor was a BIG mistake ... to impress reviewers and magazines they lightened up the motor, which affected durability. Never should have touched what was known to work, and work well.  Another thing, don't get him started on those chinese (or indonesian) bearings.

I am guessing the RS 300 R will only be manufactured as long as they have 300cc engines leftover from the KTM agreement ?   I have been told SWM is leasing the Biandronno (Va) factory from KTM, the current owner.

No, SWM owns the factory, their business partners bought it.

This isn't the x-lite motor anymore, if you look at the 340 prototypes you'll clearly see that these are machined engines out of solid aluminum billet. The engine looks the same but has been totally re-engineered by the guy who designed the original big block 2004 thru 2010 Husqvarna TE/TC/TXC 250, 310, 450, 510 Big block motors that George Url likes.

I'm sure Macchi has figured out how to make these engines hold up like his original designs.

Edited by HuskyRips
  • Like 2

Rips, thanks for your comments. Ing.Macchi designs are historically bullet proof, glad he got back into this mix. BTW the US marketing plan is to focus strictly on DS models at a well placed  economic price point. (Again my disclaimer I am strictly a bystander/acquaintance/friend of Motoman the US importer distributor)

PS look for some sort of article on www.Moto.it. do a search on Pietro Ambrosioni   he is the journalist that rode with us on the "test" loop and took photos. Pietro writes an ongoing Ride USA column in Moto.it.

The other test rider was Luca Trussardi another well known long term moto/enduro/Trophy Team/Kaw and TM factory racer/ industry professional.

so 2 pros and an ammie....

• Like 1

Yes that is all very useful and interesting ... One of these days I will ask if Ing. Ampelio Macchi is related to the Macchi of Macchi & Castoldi :  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macchi_M.C.72

Herb (who used to ride SWM's with 2T Sachs 125cc engines).

PS. Sorry I have no idea who MotoMan is.

Edited by Herb H

No, SWM owns the factory, their business partners bought it.

This isn't the x-lite motor anymore, if you look at the 340 prototypes you'll clearly see that these are machined engines out of solid aluminum billet. The engine looks the same but has been totally re-engineered by the guy who designed the original big block 2004 thru 2010 Husqvarna TE/TC/TXC 250, 310, 450, 510 Big block motors that George Url likes.

I'm sure Macchi has figured out how to make these engines hold up like his original designs.

When might these be available in the US?