Front brake sucks

10 replies to this topic
  • Snrub0800

Posted March 28, 2016 - 09:34 PM

I have an 09 WR450. My front brake sucks. New pads, new fluid, bled multiple times and it still sucks. I can touch the lever to the throttle grip with ease. It'll stop the bike but it needs to be better. I've been told that it could be my master cylinder which is stock. Any ideas?

Thanks

• stevethe

Posted March 29, 2016 - 06:54 AM

Rebuild the master cylinder with all new seals.

• 2009wr450

Posted March 29, 2016 - 07:06 AM

Its not just a level adjustment issue is it? My brakes suck too but the lever doesn’t go to the bars. 

• Pinepig

Posted March 29, 2016 - 07:53 AM

Ziptie the lever to the grip ( compress it ) and turn the handlebars to the left.     

Undo it in an hour or so and check it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 29, 2016 - 02:24 PM

Ziptie the lever to the grip ( compress it ) and turn the handlebars to the left.     

Undo it in 24-48 hours, after periodically tapping the caliper and brake line to break loose the air bubbles. Then check it.

Fixed...but you have to compress the caliper in ALL THE WAY with  wood and a c-clamp, and put plumbers tape on the bleeder valve befire you bleed it, and make sure all the parts are not worn out, and work, first.

Edited by KRANNIE, March 29, 2016 - 02:25 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pinepig

Posted March 29, 2016 - 02:50 PM

Try it the way I typed it out before trying all the voodoo bulshit first. :lol:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 30, 2016 - 05:28 AM

Try it the way I typed it out before trying all the voodoo bulshit first. :lol:

Yeah, proper mechanical technique is voodoo. 

• Pinepig

Posted March 30, 2016 - 09:53 AM

Yeah, proper mechanical technique is voodoo. 

Proof is in the pudding,  I've yet had to resort to a wood block,  C clamp and plumbers tape to get brakes bled yet.   Been wrenching/fabricating/fixing/rebuilding/restoring vehicles ( land, sea and air ) for better than 35 years.

You're assuming because I'm new here,  I'm new.  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 30, 2016 - 12:49 PM

Proof is in the pudding,  I've yet had to resort to a wood block,  C clamp and plumbers tape to get brakes bled yet.   Been wrenching/fabricating/fixing/rebuilding/restoring vehicles ( land, sea and air ) for better than 35 years.

You're assuming because I'm new here,  I'm new.  

I made no assumptions.

I instructed a poster a sure-fire way to solve his problem, assuming the master cylinder is not worn out or needs rebuilding.

Your 'non-voodo bs' response would do nothing if there is air trapped behind the pistons, which is the most common problem for people having trouble bleeding brakes.

When you do a few more bikes, you'll understand.

Edited by KRANNIE, March 30, 2016 - 12:52 PM.

• Pinepig

Posted March 30, 2016 - 03:21 PM

LOL

• rah7777777

Posted April 02, 2016 - 07:17 AM

http://www.thumperta...Brake-Very-Weak

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.