Yamaha WR450 high pitch whining noise

10 replies to this topic
  • Berrey775

Posted March 28, 2016 - 10:43 AM

Is there anyone out there that has run into this problem. 2009 WR450, after hard acceleration and coming to a stop, the bike makes this high pitch whining sound. Will go away when taking off hard, but will come back when the gas is let off. Yamaha dealer in Reno has no clue what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• DrFeelGood

Posted March 28, 2016 - 11:27 AM

Grease the seal area around the speed-o business on the front wheel's hub.   :thumbsup:

I had the same issue.  Drove me nuts.

• Berrey775

Posted March 28, 2016 - 01:14 PM

thank you. I'll try this.

• 450crazy

Posted April 05, 2016 - 04:58 AM

I have a 2015 wr450f and I am getting the same sound especially after riding for a bit and going down hill with the clutch pulled in or at low speed. Did the above suggestion work?

• Berrey775

Posted April 05, 2016 - 06:27 AM

It is a whistling noise. Used to be for only a few seconds on decal, but now sometimes it lasts for 30-45 seconds. When accelerating, noise seems to go away, then comes right back. Happening more and more, driving me crazy cant figure it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Berrey775

Posted April 05, 2016 - 06:29 AM

above suggestion did not work. Even the local Yamaha shop doesn't know what it is.

• 450crazy

Posted April 05, 2016 - 08:04 AM

sounds like what I got happening as well. Will update after new tires and ride.

• mizzle415

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:09 PM

Sub'd. I have this issue too.  Nothing helpful to add yet, but I'll be removing my speedo cable and riding this weekend.  Will report if anything changes.

• mizzle415

Posted April 06, 2016 - 09:34 AM

This other thread seems to confirm the speedo...http://www.thumperta...ched-whistling/

• The Salt

Posted April 08, 2016 - 09:25 AM

This other thread seems to confirm the speedo...http://www.thumperta...ched-whistling/

Ive got it too....  07 WR450. Just replaced the bearings because of it to no avail. :-(

• mizzle415

Posted April 25, 2016 - 03:40 PM

I removed the speedo and cable as I've fitted up a Vapor.  I replaced the cable spacer at the wheel with the flatland racing spedo delete spacer and after riding yesterday, no whining noise.  I know I changed too many variables to provide anything conclusive, but this is my data point.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.