Hard to start in gear?

8 replies to this topic
  • dhend8

Posted March 27, 2016 - 05:32 PM

Hi, I have a 2006 yz450f and it won't start in gear very easily, I have to kick it like 5 times. But when I put it in neutral it starts first kick. I am doing a harescramble in May so I would like to be able to start off in gear. Any thoughts on why it doesnt.
Thanks

• BDubb106

Posted March 27, 2016 - 05:46 PM

None of the big thumpers are gonna be easy to start in gear. Watch the pro's, their bikes are tuned to perfection and they can't even start their bikes in gear. 

Your best bet would be to throw a Rekluse in it if you want it to start in gear.

• Flagstaff

Posted March 27, 2016 - 07:32 PM

Hi, I have a 2006 yz450f and it won't start in gear very easily, I have to kick it like 5 times. But when I put it in neutral it starts first kick. I am doing a harescramble in May so I would like to be able to start off in gear. Any thoughts on why it doesnt.
Thanks

Hot or Cold? I know you imply hot, but it was never an issue hot for me with any bike. Cold would be a different matter, but I don't know why any one would start a cold bike in gear.

• dhend8

Posted March 28, 2016 - 04:44 AM

When it's hot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hoosier-Daddy

Posted March 28, 2016 - 12:37 PM

My 09 is hard to start in gear. My friend has a z start rekluse on his 426 and it is difficult in gear too.

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2016 - 04:54 PM

All the big YZF's are.  If you assemble a perfect clutch in them and get it broke in, they'll start fairly well in gear for a while, but generally, there's too much clutch drag to allow it to work very well, Rekluse or not.

• mike_dean

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:45 AM

I'm probably wrong but I always assumed the neutral switch changed the timing to help starting, my bike starts very hard hot in gear.

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:28 AM

The neutral switch on some models does, but I'm not convinced that they all do, or that it works very well.  I rigged a push button up one time so I could ground the light blue lead going to the N switch manually to see if it made it easier to start in gear.  I noticed no improvement when I used it.

The neutral switch does lower the rev limit to 7000, though. 

• DGXR

Posted April 04, 2016 - 11:36 AM

All the big YZF's are.  If you assemble a perfect clutch in them and get it broke in, they'll start fairly well in gear for a while, but generally, there's too much clutch drag to allow it to work very well, Rekluse or not.

This is my general experience too.  You may be holding in the clutch all the way but there's still some drag between the discs.  Starting my bike cold in gear is simply not possible.  It's not too bad after it's warmed up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.