Rear brake problem

15 replies to this topic
  • james25

Posted March 27, 2016 - 04:05 PM

Hi boys, need help. My rear brake keeps sticking. Cleaned the return port, new brake line, new caliper internals. Bike will even sieze itself if left on stand. Wtf
HELP HELP!!!

• Jimmy boy

Posted March 27, 2016 - 05:10 PM

Hi boys, need help. My rear brake keeps sticking. Cleaned the return port, new brake line, new caliper internals. Bike will even sieze itself if left on stand. Wtf
HELP HELP!!!

rebuild the caliper .
Check that the fluid is returning back to the master cylinder .

• james25

Posted March 27, 2016 - 05:17 PM

Done all that
Only had this problem since replacing the pads. Now pads are absolutely rooted

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 27, 2016 - 05:33 PM

One of the pins is probably bent or corroded.

Replace them.

• james25

Posted March 27, 2016 - 09:01 PM

But that doesn't explain why is just does it on its own without even using the bike at all

• Markin

Posted March 28, 2016 - 02:07 AM

May be fluid level is too high and you have pressure in system even with brake pedal not pushed. This situation occurs when brake level was set before before replacing old thin pads by new (thicker).

• Jimmy boy

Posted March 28, 2016 - 05:46 AM

But that doesn't explain why is just does it on its own without even using the bike at all

Could be the new pads aren't fitting correctly and causing bind. Stick the old pads back in and see if problem is still there.

• james25

Posted March 28, 2016 - 11:15 AM

I took it all apart today and cleaned and greased it all, I did happen to notice a notch in the pin.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 28, 2016 - 01:19 PM

I took it all apart today and cleaned and greased it all, I did happen to notice a notch in the pin.

If the hydralic system is overfilled, the brake pads will eventually make firm contact with the rotor, and if hot enough, it can lock up.

• james25

Posted March 28, 2016 - 05:35 PM

Happened few times while riding, the wheel completely locks up. Rotor glowing. Might try new pin take some fluid out and set of new pads. Thanks for your help

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 28, 2016 - 06:45 PM

Happened few times while riding, the wheel completely locks up. Rotor glowing. Might try new pin take some fluid out and set of new pads. Thanks for your help

Just open the top, spill out a little, and close it back up and try it.

• james25

Posted March 29, 2016 - 02:28 PM

Put new pads in yesterday and couldn't even push the piston back in. Also put new pads in the front. Pistons went in easy. Think it's time for another MC

• Jimmy boy

Posted March 29, 2016 - 04:02 PM

Put new pads in yesterday and couldn't even push the piston back in. Also put new pads in the front. Pistons went in easy. Think it's time for another MC

crack the bleeder and try pushing it in . The piston may be sticking.

• james25

Posted March 29, 2016 - 04:25 PM

Yes that did work

• Jimmy boy

Posted March 29, 2016 - 04:32 PM

The return fluid port sounds plugged. Take the master cyl top off and put fluid through the caliper bleeder. It will put fluid in master, so take some fluid out.

• james25

Posted April 09, 2016 - 08:02 PM

Put another mc in, big difference. Really easy to prime. Havnt riden it yet though. Hopefully that has fixed the problem

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.