Radiator guards on 450FX

39 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:58 AM

So I ended up ordering the GYTR radiator cages, not sure I'm all that impressed with them.  For those of you who have also installed these, did you find that the shrouds didn't fit so nice after installing the cages?  I had a bit of trouble getting all the bolts to line up, and had to suck the shrouds in a bit on the triangle shaped part of the shroud.  Anyone else experience similar issues?  I'm wondering if part of my problem wasn't that both radiators were slightly tweaked due to low speed tip-overs when I rode the bike.

• RMK800

Posted May 22, 2016 - 03:30 PM

So I ended up ordering the GYTR radiator cages, not sure I'm all that impressed with them. For those of you who have also installed these, did you find that the shrouds didn't fit so nice after installing the cages? I had a bit of trouble getting all the bolts to line up, and had to suck the shrouds in a bit on the triangle shaped part of the shroud. Anyone else experience similar issues? I'm wondering if part of my problem wasn't that both radiators were slightly tweaked due to low speed tip-overs when I rode the bike.

I just put on Endo Engineering radiator guards. I've never used guards in my other bikes, so I don't have much experience. The guards seems to fit fine, but there was some gap between the guards and the radiators. Good quality as far as construction. I hated using the plastic spacers to make things work.

All I can tell you is they made the bike around 1/2 inch wider on both sides. The bikes already a little wide. I rode for a few weeks and couldn't stand it. I took them off and couldn't believe how narrow the bike was. I'll take my chances, I realize I'm one crash away, but good grief it made the front of the bike wide, I could even tell with my legs. I rode my WR for 4 years, we will see how long I go on the FX. No guards for me. If I was doing hare scrambles I would definitely use them.

Edited by RMK800, May 22, 2016 - 03:34 PM.

• washington_rider

Posted May 22, 2016 - 03:41 PM

I just put on Endo Engineering radiator guards. I've never used guards in my other bikes, so I don't have much experience. The guards seems to fit fine, but there was some gap between the guards and the radiators. Good quality as far as construction. I hated using the plastic spacers to make things work.

All I can tell you is they made the bike around 1/2 inch wider on both sides. The bikes already a little wide. I rode for a few weeks and couldn't stand it. I took them off and couldn't believe how narrow the bike was. I'll take my chances, I realize I'm one crash away, but good grief it made the front of the bike wide, I could even tell with my legs. I rode my WR for 4 years, we will see how long I go on the FX. No guards for me. If I was doing hare scrambles I would definitely use them.

Care to sell them?

• RMK800

Posted May 22, 2016 - 04:04 PM

Care to sell them?

Sure PM me.

• the go-devil

Posted May 22, 2016 - 05:44 PM

So I ended up ordering the GYTR radiator cages, not sure I'm all that impressed with them. For those of you who have also installed these, did you find that the shrouds didn't fit so nice after installing the cages? I had a bit of trouble getting all the bolts to line up, and had to suck the shrouds in a bit on the triangle shaped part of the shroud. Anyone else experience similar issues? I'm wondering if part of my problem wasn't that both radiators were slightly tweaked due to low speed tip-overs when I rode the bike.

I don't think the problem is with your bike.
I had to trim some material off the shrouds around the triangle and where they wrap under the radiator, as well as corresponding areas on the GYTR cages to make things fit the way I wanted. The shrouds fit well and assemble easily now.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 23, 2016 - 08:18 AM

I don't think the problem is with your bike.
I had to trim some material off the shrouds around the triangle and where they wrap under the radiator, as well as corresponding areas on the GYTR cages to make things fit the way I wanted. The shrouds fit well and assemble easily now.

I don't suppose you could get a few photos showing what you trimmed?

• gardwadt

Posted May 23, 2016 - 08:53 AM

Only on the right side and wasn't very noticeable.Pics would be nice thou!

• motocrotts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 08:59 AM

I mounted mine up without disassembling the bike, contrary to their instructions.  The left side fit was perfect.  The right side was good as well but needed a slight 1/8"thick  x  1-1/4" trim where the inside the triangle hits the rad.  I'll see if I can get a pic.  The guards are stout and fit perfectly.  Now that's out of the way I can concentrate on riding the bike.  As you can see in the pic, I just trimmed the one edge that was pressing against the guard and that worked for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0701.JPG

Edited by motocrotts, May 23, 2016 - 09:09 AM.

• NW_drZ

Posted May 25, 2016 - 10:05 PM

I installed my gytr braces with no disassembly as well. I had zero issues with alignment and I didn't have to trim one thing. Fit perfect and was an easy install. Didn't seem to widen the bike really either (slightly if any). The bike is a 250fx. Not sure if that has any effect on my experience being different. If anyone needs any pics let me know.

Edited by NW_drZ, May 25, 2016 - 10:06 PM.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 26, 2016 - 05:51 AM

I installed my gytr braces with no disassembly as well. I had zero issues with alignment and I didn't have to trim one thing. Fit perfect and was an easy install. Didn't seem to widen the bike really either (slightly if any). The bike is a 250fx. Not sure if that has any effect on my experience being different. If anyone needs any pics let me know.

Did you notice that the triangular piece of the shroud (see pic, the bolt in the black area of the graphics, almost center of the photo) was pushed out maybe 1/4" and you had to use the bolt to suck it in?

16_YZ450FX_3Blue_slide-440x250.jpg

Edited by cowboyona426, May 26, 2016 - 05:52 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NW_drZ

Posted May 26, 2016 - 07:17 AM

Did you notice that the triangular piece of the shroud (see pic, the bolt in the black area of the graphics, almost center of the photo) was pushed out maybe 1/4" and you had to use the bolt to suck it in?
16_YZ450FX_3Blue_slide-440x250.jpg

When I originally wrote my post (shortened it) I actually included a part stating that I put a few washers on the inside of that bolt hole for that very reason you mentioned. It was not necessary as it still aligned perfectly, but there was a 1/8"- 1/4" gap or so. Having the washers put less stress on that part of the plastic. I'm not surprised this was the case seeing as the guards made the shroud curve out at a slightly different angle naturally. I still think the install was easy and smooth as everything lined up without any trimming. Especially after comparing the install to the unabikers I had on my previous WR. Sweet guards, but a pain to install.

I can snap a pic of you want.

Edited by NW_drZ, May 26, 2016 - 07:45 AM.

• NW_drZ

Posted May 26, 2016 - 07:40 AM

What the heck, might as well.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464277203.040188.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464277222.163880.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464277569.688663.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464277609.642879.jpg

Edited by NW_drZ, May 26, 2016 - 07:47 AM.

• vossman23

Posted May 26, 2016 - 01:04 PM

I like that skid plate NW_drZ, who makes it?

• cowboyona426

Posted May 26, 2016 - 02:10 PM

What the heck, might as well.

I can't help but wonder if either the cages or the shrouds can't be trimmed up some to allow the shrouds to sit closer to how they did stock.  I'm just afraid to experiment on my nearly perfect stock shrouds knowing how expensive an OEM replacement is.

• NW_drZ

Posted May 26, 2016 - 02:15 PM

I snagged a set of F shrouds for $40 bucks when I first got the bike. My FX shrouds sit in the shop. I ride the bike through tight woods and the infused graphics shrouds hold up much better than the shrouds with stickers. 80 hours on the bike and the F shrouds still look great.

I like that skid plate NW_drZ, who makes it?

That is the enduro engineering skid plate.

• NW_drZ

Posted May 26, 2016 - 02:26 PM

I can't help but wonder if either the cages or the shrouds can't be trimmed up some to allow the shrouds to sit closer to how they did stock. I'm just afraid to experiment on my nearly perfect stock shrouds knowing how expensive an OEM replacement is.

The place you mentioned is the only place they don't sit flush. Other than that they are spot on. And in my case the few washers on each side did the trick. Nothing to worry about

• cowboyona426

Posted May 26, 2016 - 03:01 PM

I snagged a set of F shrouds for $40 bucks when I first got the bike. My FX shrouds sit in the shop. I ride the bike through tight woods and the infused graphics shrouds hold up much better than the shrouds with stickers. 80 hours on the bike and the F shrouds still look great.

That is the enduro engineering skid plate.

The FX graphics are infused too...

The place you mentioned is the only place they don't sit flush. Other than that they are spot on. And in my case the few washers on each side did the trick. Nothing to worry about

If you look closely you can see the shrouds are pushed out just a bit.  There is one spot where there is a bumper that should ride against the frame that is now about 1/4" from the frame.  It's not huge, and I'm certainly not very worried about a 1/2" gain in overall width, but I'm anal retentive at times and I would like to see if I can get the shrouds to tuck back in like they were pre-cages.  Probably not possible but I might give it a whirl.

• NW_drZ

Posted May 26, 2016 - 03:24 PM

The FX graphics are infused too...

If you look closely you can see the shrouds are pushed out just a bit. There is one spot where there is a bumper that should ride against the frame that is now about 1/4" from the frame. It's not huge, and I'm certainly not very worried about a 1/2" gain in overall width, but I'm anal retentive at times and I would like to see if I can get the shrouds to tuck back in like they were pre-cages. Probably not possible but I might give it a whirl.

I was referring to previous generation shrouds and graphics. I know the FX are infused as I have them as well.

Also the part you are referring to that's pushed out is the part that I compensated with washers. It's hardly noticeable. Where the shrouds bends over the side of the cage you may be able to grind that down to get the bumper to sit more flush. Not sure if this would compromise the structural integrity though. Just stop over thinking it and install the damn cages!! :)

Edited by NW_drZ, May 26, 2016 - 03:28 PM.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 27, 2016 - 06:59 AM

Just stop over thinking it and install the damn cages!! :)

Probably the best suggestion yet :D

• NW_drZ

Posted May 27, 2016 - 08:00 AM

Probably the best suggestion yet :D

I can be guilty of a little OCD when it comes to my bike, I totally get it. Just ask my girlfriend:). I actually gave it a little look yesterday and you could grind about 1/4" out of the side panel of the cages (where the shroud bends over) to get the bumper to sit closer, if not flush. It would only be a tiny section so I don't think the structural integrity would be compromised.

Anyways, your post must of wore off on me! I was able to eliminate two of four washers on each side yesterday without stressing the plastic. Since there is room (screw openings) to move around each bolt on the shroud connect points, I just tightened the bumper bolt in its most comfortable spot and let the other shroud screws fall into place. Results, the bumper part of the shroud sticks out maybe 2mm over stock on each side :).

Edited by NW_drZ, May 27, 2016 - 08:02 AM.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.