Radiator guards on 450FX

39 replies to this topic
  • motocrotts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 12:12 PM

Hey guys need your help,  just picked up a 450FX and being a long time KTM rider I'm not too savvy on the Yamaha set up.  What radiator guards are you running?  I ride tight desert single track, so getting a stick through the rads is pretty rare.  Mostly looking for side impact protection.  On Ktm's I usually ran BPD guards or their factory hard parts guards.  I've tried EE and usually send them back.  They typically look like a Rhino guard on your pick up truck and I've always had fitment issues.  The BPD's make it easy to add a fan should you desire.  Been looking at the unibikers but they look really involved plus heavy.  Your opinions please.

• 15thumper

Posted March 27, 2016 - 12:39 PM

#devolracing

• washington_rider

Posted March 27, 2016 - 05:52 PM

I've always ran devol rad guards. Have them on my '13 wr 450, and will probably have them on my 450fx when I pick it up in a week. They always seem to fit great (unless you have already tweaked a radiator and you have to 'make things work' :D )

• motocrotts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 07:08 PM

Do you get the complete guards or just the braces?

• reedo05

Posted March 27, 2016 - 08:18 PM

I put the GYTR ones on mine that have the four rods.

They also allow the Yamaha fan to fit which ive also

fitted.

• stevethe

Posted March 27, 2016 - 09:10 PM

Enduro engineering work fine and fit the fan since I'm using them on a 16 WR450.

• NW_drZ

Posted March 27, 2016 - 09:58 PM

I put the GYTR ones on mine that have the four rods.
They also allow the Yamaha fan to fit which ive also
fitted.

This... In conjunction with the stock plastic front guards

• motocrotts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 05:11 PM

Just ordered the gtyr guards. They look like they'll do the job. Like that they'll accept the fan if I want it down the road.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 29, 2016 - 11:05 AM

Are you guys finding the guards/braces necessary?  I know when I bought my 06 YZ450 new there weren't any radiator guards readily available, so I took my first spin on the bike with naked radiators.  I had a low speed tip-over (not even a crash) in some mud and bent my left radiator... I was pretty disgusted to say the least.  Are the radiators on the FX fragile or could you run for a while without some protection?

• the go-devil

Posted March 29, 2016 - 11:41 AM

Just ordered the gtyr guards. They look like they'll do the job. Like that they'll accept the fan if I want it down the road.

I have the GYTR cages on my FX. They are well designed, robust, and fit pretty good. I did trim a bit of material on the shrouds and the outer guards to get things to fit better. It's not noticeable. You don't have to tear things apart like the instructions say for installation if you use a small telescopic magnet to get the inside bolts started along with a couple 6"x1/4" extensions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CSAR FE

Posted March 29, 2016 - 12:30 PM

I'm running the GYTR cages as well. They're pretty stout for sure.

• motocrotts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 10:03 AM

Are you guys finding the guards/braces necessary?  I know when I bought my 06 YZ450 new there weren't any radiator guards readily available, so I took my first spin on the bike with naked radiators.  I had a low speed tip-over (not even a crash) in some mud and bent my left radiator... I was pretty disgusted to say the least.  Are the radiators on the FX fragile or could you run for a while without some protection?

I have found all radiators to be fragile.  I had a hard get off last year in Colorado and was running BPD rad guards on my Husky.  Destroyed my shroud, bent the bolts that hold the rad to the frame and actually tweaked the rad a tad.  BPD guards were fine.  I think it would of ripped the rad off the bike had I not had the guards and ruined my trip.  I put them on everything, although I don't have them on my X as their tucked in very well.

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted April 02, 2016 - 09:48 AM

Enduro engineering work fine and fit the fan since I'm using them on a 16 WR450.

+1. EE guards and braces are very well made. The skid plate was bad ash. Good product.

• stevethe

Posted April 02, 2016 - 08:43 PM

+1. EE guards and braces are very well made. The skid plate was bad ash. Good product.

Yeah I kind of think the radiator guards are the same as GYTR.

I just got the E.E. skid plate and it looks good.

• JonL515

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:14 PM

I have unabiker guards on my 450. So far they are doing very well. Look good and they are a good price.

• Xav-2691

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:10 AM

Hey guys need your help,  just picked up a 450FX and being a long time KTM rider I'm not too savvy on the Yamaha set up.  What radiator guards are you running?  I ride tight desert single track, so getting a stick through the rads is pretty rare.  Mostly looking for side impact protection.  On Ktm's I usually ran BPD guards or their factory hard parts guards.  I've tried EE and usually send them back.  They typically look like a Rhino guard on your pick up truck and I've always had fitment issues.  The BPD's make it easy to add a fan should you desire.  Been looking at the unibikers but they look really involved plus heavy.  Your opinions please.

You can test AXP Racing rad guards, check it : http://axpracing.com...blue-2016.html 

yamaha-yz450fx-blue-2016.jpgyamaha-yz450fx-blue-2016.jpg

• cowboyona426

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:10 AM

I have unabiker guards on my 450. So far they are doing very well. Look good and they are a good price.

Do you know if they fit with the fan installed?

• JonL515

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:52 AM

http://www.unabiker....oducts/yyz250fx

I don't see the 450fx listed yet, but for the 250fx, they say to order their WR250 guards when you are running a fan.  Might be one of those times calling them directly and seeing what they have for the 450fx and if the wr 450 guards will work. 

• Xav-2691

Posted April 04, 2016 - 11:38 PM

yamaha-yz450fx-blue-2016.jpgThu

These are AXP Braces, looks to fit well with the fan

• cowboyona426

Posted April 26, 2016 - 12:59 PM

Has anyone tried the Works Connection radiator braces yet?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.