07 yz450f clutch issues

6 replies to this topic
  • Jgsav

Posted March 27, 2016 - 07:43 AM

Need help figuring out my problem with my clutch. First 30 min to an hour of riding the bike the clutch is perfect but after awhile u cant "slip" the clutch to take off its like it "jumps or jitters" if that makes sense? So say uve come to a stop and go to take off, i ease off the clutch and instead of slippin until fully engaged it just kinda has catches and jumps....theres no "slip" to it? If i let the bike sit for 20 or 30 min it still does it. You have to let it sit for a couple hours before it works properly again.Now let me also point out im no newbie or unfamilier with bikes, motors, or clutches. I have also installed new oem clutch plates and fiber plates but still does the same thing. The fiber pads on the clutch i took out measured in spec, but on the low end of in spec so i replaced them just to see if it would fix the issue and it didnt. I dont think its expantion of the plates bc my clutch handle play isnt changing like it does when they get hot and expand. If anyone can make any sense of what im trying to explain and could help id appreciate it alot. Thanks

Edited by Jgsav, March 27, 2016 - 07:46 AM.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted March 27, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Need help figuring out my problem with my clutch. First 30 min to an hour of riding the bike the clutch is perfect but after awhile u cant "slip" the clutch to take off its like it "jumps or jitters" if that makes sense? So say uve come to a stop and go to take off, i ease off the clutch and instead of slippin until fully engaged it just kinda has catches and jumps....theres no "slip" to it? If i let the bike sit for 20 or 30 min it still does it. You have to let it sit for a couple hours before it works properly again.Now let me also point out im no newbie or unfamilier with bikes, motors, or clutches. I have also installed new oem clutch plates and fiber plates but still does the same thing. The fiber pads on the clutch i took out measured in spec, but on the low end of in spec so i replaced them just to see if it would fix the issue and it didnt. I dont think its expantion of the plates bc my clutch handle play isnt changing like it does when they get hot and expand. If anyone can make any sense of what im trying to explain and could help id appreciate it alot. Thanks

Try a different oil. I had an 06 that had a similar problem. At the time I was running Rotella then switched to Yamalube. It made a big difference.

• Jgsav

Posted March 27, 2016 - 04:42 PM

Will give that a try. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nucular

Posted March 27, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Was the basket notched at all?

• Jgsav

Posted March 29, 2016 - 04:02 PM

Was the basket notched at all?

Wouldnt call them notches but yes they had small grooves in them but filed them down.

• Jgsav

Posted April 03, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Try a different oil. I had an 06 that had a similar problem. At the time I was running Rotella then switched to Yamalube. It made a big difference.

Rotella T is what i had been running. Done what you suggested and switched oils, to rotella T6 synthetic oil and went riding over the weekend. It still does it? Its not as bad as before but its still there. Any thing else i need to look at?

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:02 PM

One possibility is that the drive cushions in the primary driven gear are shot.  If you can rotate the basket relative to the gear any significant amount, they need to be replaced.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.