Shifting problem no neutral

11 replies to this topic
  • digemin

Posted March 26, 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hi guys I've recently bought a 2000 yz400 which is very hard to get Int neutral if you can get it there at all. If it does get in there as soon as you try to kick it over it jumps into gear any ideas?

• kjadair91

Posted March 26, 2016 - 03:53 PM

Does the bike creep forward in gear with the clutch pulled all the way in?

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2016 - 07:24 AM

The clutch is not releasing cleanly.  Probably due to warped plates, but you should check your cable adjustment.

• digemin

Posted March 27, 2016 - 01:07 PM

It does creep forward with the clutch all the way in. Would that cause it to have issues finding neutral even with the engine off and pop into gear when I try to start it?
I'll give it s go thanks I've never owned anything later than mid 90s 2 strokes before so I'm well over my head with this one

• kjadair91

Posted March 27, 2016 - 01:42 PM

It is hard to get into neutral with the engine off?

Have you pulled the clutch apart to inspect it?
Check the "fingers" in the basket to see if there are grooves from the fibers and all the boss to see if there are grooves from the metals.

• digemin

Posted March 27, 2016 - 01:54 PM

It's nearly impossible to find neutral with the engine on but when it's off I can get it after a bit of rocking I've adjusted the clutch up and it's still walking forward

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • digemin

Posted March 27, 2016 - 01:55 PM

Will have a go at pulling the clutch apart later today thanks for all your help

• digemin

Posted March 27, 2016 - 01:58 PM

Is there anything I should be worried about pulling the clutch apart? I've only worked on early model bikes before

• kjadair91

Posted March 27, 2016 - 04:10 PM

if you do it with the bike laying down, dont drop the dowel pin in the engine hahaha. ive had stock baskets get grooves in them and when in a pinch i just pull them out and LIGHTLY file it down till its smooth and it will work for a weekend or so. but that just if you need too. I would recommend and aftermarket one though. I'm not sure if gytr makes them for that year but they are the same as the hinson I've heard 

• digemin

Posted March 27, 2016 - 04:39 PM

So it would be smarter to drain the oil and leave the bike upright? Are the after market baskets better than factory? Although I'd love to take it for a rip I'd rather do the job properly and replace anything worn. What would be the best brand for after market?

• kjadair91

Posted March 27, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Yeah I would. Or just be very careful and pull the case off slowly. From what I remember the gytr is made by Hinson. But it's also cheaper and cheaper then oem.

• digemin

Posted March 27, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Great I'll give it a try thanks heaps for all your help

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.