Dyno'd My FI WR450F.....

20 replies to this topic
  • dirznut

Posted March 24, 2016 - 04:24 PM

nxvUVV9.jpg

2012, Full FMF exhaust, uncorked intake, comp ecu and throttle screw, twin-air filter. Sea level.

Running this map:
MEqy7QW.jpg

Disappointed! Only put down 43hp. I'll get the dyno by email shortly, but at 3/4 throttle to WOT, I was told there was room for improvement judging by the wavering line.

What are some good maps for the most hp? What else can you do to this bike aside from head work? YZ cams? I reckon this bike will put out 45hp without too much more effort.. But I really was expecting more. My old big bore drz put down similar rwhp if not more..

Thanks for any insight.

Edited by dirznut, March 24, 2016 - 05:03 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 24, 2016 - 05:49 PM

A couple magazines have dyno'd the YZ250FX at 35-36 HP.   Not sure this was corrected or not.   The KTM 2015 250 XCF makes 41 HP, but you have to wring it out to get there. Supposedly the the 2016 350 SXF is 52 ish HP, but you have to rev the heck out of it to get it. The Husky TE300s make 54 HP. 

People say how much power the FI WRs are, but I don't find them to be beasts.   Even on tight singletrack I find myself grabbing a lot of throttle when the going is good.    The WR power is really controllable too, which makes it seem like less.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:40 PM

A couple magazines have dyno'd the YZ250FX at 35-36 HP.   Not sure this was corrected or not.   The KTM 2015 250 XCF makes 41 HP, but you have to wring it out to get there. Supposedly the the 2016 350 SXF is 52 ish HP, but you have to rev the heck out of it to get it. The Husky TE300s make 54 HP. 

People say how much power the FI WRs are, but I don't find them to be beasts.   Even on tight singletrack I find myself grabbing a lot of throttle when the going is good.    The WR power is really controllable too, which makes it seem like less.

Those are all Red Sticker bikes and should not be compared to a WR.

The  FMF pipe is not going to give you peak power.... you need a Yoshimura for that......and a dyno is only going to compare tunings, not give you real life absolute power readings...

45hp really means somewhere between 38 and 51 hp, unless you have a reference to measure against before or after your measurement.

• woods-rider

Posted March 24, 2016 - 08:11 PM

And why not? Red sticker means absolutely nothing for the vast majority of people on TT.

I do agree that you can't compare your dyno numbers to other people's dyno numbers unless they were taken from the same dyno on the same day with the same tech.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 24, 2016 - 09:45 PM

For those of us that don't live or ride in CA, it doesn't matter if the bike is red, pink, white or purple stickered - they deserve to be compared.

As for the dynos, they measure torque and RPM.  If it is an acceleration (intertia) dyno, all it measures is RPM.   If the roller inertia on the 2 dynos is comparable and the operator knows how to get the most out the bike, the readings should be +/-5%, which is 2 HP on a 40HP bike. They have correction factors for temperature, air density and elevation.

I don't think the FI WRs make 50HP.  They have a great engine, but once you ride it for a bit, the power isn't monsterous.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, March 24, 2016 - 09:46 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 25, 2016 - 04:46 AM

And why not? Red sticker means absolutely nothing for the vast majority of people on TT.

I do agree that you can't compare your dyno numbers to other people's dyno numbers unless they were taken from the same dyno on the same day with the same tech.

I don't even know where to begin with such an ignorant statement.....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 25, 2016 - 04:49 AM

For those of us that don't live or ride in CA, it doesn't matter if the bike is red, pink, white or purple stickered - they deserve to be compared.

As for the dynos, they measure torque and RPM.  If it is an acceleration (intertia) dyno, all it measures is RPM.   If the roller inertia on the 2 dynos is comparable and the operator knows how to get the most out the bike, the readings should be +/-5%, which is 2 HP on a 40HP bike. They have correction factors for temperature, air density and elevation.

I don't think the FI WRs make 50HP.  They have a great engine, but once you ride it for a bit, the power isn't monsterous.

Then why aren't you including the DRZ400 and the XR650L? 

Comparing a track bike to an enduro makes no sense.

Bikes are made for categories/purpose, and comparing a 450SXF to a WR450F has no meaning.

Why not compare a YZ450F to a WR450F?  Because they don't compare. That's why they both exist.

• dirznut

Posted March 25, 2016 - 05:24 AM

For reference, within 10 minutes of each other, a 2007 450exc with 300hrs on the motor dyno'd 45hp and a 2011 crf450r dyno'd 49.7hp. Same operator, temp, equipment.

Edited by dirznut, March 25, 2016 - 05:26 AM.

• JDLowrance

Posted March 25, 2016 - 05:36 AM

nxvUVV9.jpg
2012, Full FMF exhaust, uncorked intake, comp ecu and throttle screw, twin-air filter. Sea level.
Running this map:MEqy7QW.jpg
Disappointed! Only put down 43hp. I'll get the dyno by email shortly, but at 3/4 throttle to WOT, I was told there was room for improvement judging by the wavering line.
What are some good maps for the most hp? What else can you do to this bike aside from head work? YZ cams? I reckon this bike will put out 45hp without too much more effort.. But I really was expecting more. My old big bore drz put down similar rwhp if not more..
Thanks for any insight.

First off....you've got waaayyyy too much fuel to make good HP numbers. Load a zero map (across the board) and I think you'll see your rwhp number increase.

Secondly....as mentioned earlier, dynos read differently from one another so 43hp on one is 39hp on another. They are tools to be used for comparison purposes only, before mods/after mods or two bikes on same day, etc.

Load the zero map, I think you'll find the numbers go up and your seat of the pants will notice a difference.

• dirznut

Posted March 25, 2016 - 05:48 AM

First off....you've got waaayyyy too much fuel to make good HP numbers. Load a zero map (across the board) and I think you'll see your rwhp number increase.

Secondly....as mentioned earlier, dynos read differently from one another so 43hp on one is 39hp on another. They are tools to be used for comparison purposes only, before mods/after mods or two bikes on same day, etc.

Load the zero map, I think you'll find the numbers go up and your seat of the pants will notice a difference.

Thanks!! I'll give it a try. Zero out the timing as well?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • falconjet

Posted March 25, 2016 - 06:00 AM

Why get so wrapped around the axle about a number. :banghead:

Remember why you started riding in the first place...it's all about the smile. :thumbsup:

Allow your right wrist and the seat of your pants to determine your satisfaction with the machine.

Just saying.

• woods-rider

Posted March 25, 2016 - 07:25 AM

I don't even know where to begin with such an ignorant statement.....

And if you think most people care about red sticker then you are the ignorant one. In 49 of the 50 states this sticker means absolutely nothing.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 25, 2016 - 08:09 AM

You still don't get it
Closed course bikes make more HP
Comparing them to EPA resticted bikes for delivered HP makes no sense

....green sticker restrictions are active in 20 states... with some states being even more strict.....

Edited by KRANNIE, March 25, 2016 - 08:11 AM.

• knuckleduster271

Posted March 25, 2016 - 09:05 PM

You still don't get it
Closed course bikes make more HP
Comparing them to EPA resticted bikes for delivered HP makes no sense
....green sticker restrictions are active in 20 states... with some states being even more strict.....

all the bikes he stated have been converted and made into street duty machines all over the us- green sticker, red sticker whatever.
It doesnt take much to get a wr into the same power realm as the yz, rmz, crf, xcw kxf etc.- 99% of people that buy a wr do away with all the epa crap anyways.
Heres my dyno sheet on 07 wr450 with 06 yz cams, pro circuit slip on and free mods

0325162038_zpsswcraxsg.jpg

This was from today- after a rebuild with a hi comp piston, mixxer head, intake hotcam, bored carb and fmf megabomb header

0325161223_zpsq1qtkn5t.jpg

Edited by knuckleduster271, March 25, 2016 - 09:13 PM.

• knuckleduster271

Posted March 25, 2016 - 09:15 PM

nxvUVV9.jpg
Running this map:MEqy7QW.jpg
Thanks for any insight.

Were those numbers on STD or SAE dyno settings?

• stevethe

Posted March 27, 2016 - 02:22 PM

The numbers for the first fuel injected WR do not sound off especially considering the other bikes mentioned on the same dyno. Most of the horsepower quad guys had a very hard time producing any real numbers with the first fuel injected model. The carbed model made 48 with mostly free mods.
Mine dyno'd 55 hp on a dyno jet that's without the motosunari air boot. So it should be 56-57 now.

• knuckleduster271

Posted March 27, 2016 - 06:37 PM

The numbers for the first fuel injected WR do not sound off especially considering the other bikes mentioned on the same dyno. Most of the horsepower quad guys had a very hard time producing any real numbers with the first fuel injected model. The carbed model made 48 with mostly free mods.
Mine dyno'd 55 hp on a dyno jet that's without the motosunari air boot. So it should be 56-57 now.

What all is done to your bike? I had to do alot of work to get 54 hp on a dyno jet

• stevethe

Posted March 27, 2016 - 09:25 PM

What all is done to your bike? I had to do alot of work to get 54 hp on a dyno jet

It's built similar to your bike. But no exhaust pipe bombs. Mine also had worn out packing in the muffler at the time and that robs about .5 hp.

• knuckleduster271

Posted March 28, 2016 - 08:05 AM

It's built similar to your bike. But no exhaust pipe bombs. Mine also had worn out packing in the muffler at the time and that robs about .5 hp.

I have the moto t boot on mine as well.
When i dyno'd mine it was raining cats and dogs outside and the humidity was 90% inthe shop.
The tuner said he thought i would show a 1-2 hp increase if i dyno'd when the air was better.

• dirznut

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:41 PM

ea3jAtG.jpg

Here's the dyno chart.

I've since changed my map to the FMF map.. no complaints so far. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.