Is a Snow Bike hard on the top end?

4 replies to this topic
  • Tillbuilt

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:52 AM

I am trying to compare a snow only bike to a dirt only bike. 

Can anyone post up a picture of a dirt only piston with 60 hours on it? I am not looking for one that failed. I am looking for a few pics of one that was changed due to maintenance.

I did my first top end on my 2015 Yamaha YZ450F and was truly surprised how well the piston looked at 60 hours.

• JonL515

Posted March 24, 2016 - 09:08 AM

I have a piston from my 14 that was changed at 40 hours I will snap a picture of tonight.  I may reuse it in the future, still looks great.  It was ridden by a 60yr on the track mostly before I bought it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • c0ncEpT

Posted March 25, 2016 - 07:06 AM

Looks great. Measure the piston and the bore. If it hasn't knocked the skirts in or wore the bore I'd put a ring set on it and run it for another 60 hours.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2016 - 08:20 AM

This piston is out of my '06 at just over 300 hours of desert racing, a bit of MX, and general rec riding. It really should have been replaced a little sooner, but there was no harm done, and the bore was in very good condition. 

The areas of concern to me here were the fact that the wear shows the piston tilting in the bore excessively as indicated by the bright stripe along the bottom of the rear skirt, and the drag marks on the ring lands on the front side (arrows).  The ring lands are never supposed to contact the bore walls at all, so it was past time to switch it out, actually.

An often overlooked area when considering the reuse of a piston is the ring grooves.  The grooves tend to wear a little wider at the outside than they do farther in, which lets the ring twist out of square with the bore, affecting wear at the ends of the ring sweep where the rings reverse direction, and sealing in general.  Measure the ring groove clearance carefully with this in mind.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1175.JPG
  • IMG_1176.JPG

• JonL515

Posted March 25, 2016 - 08:37 AM

Here it is.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG2208.jpg
  • IMAG2209.jpg
  • IMAG2210.jpg

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.