2015 WR 450 Turd

23 replies to this topic
  • numan

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:52 AM

So i finally bucked up and went down to the dealer. Brand new WR450F with a plate from the local dealer. I was all excited to go home and rip around. First ride, not impressed. I know its a trail bike and all but i kind of feel like im riding a moped that will barely wheelie in first gear. Im hoping the mod to the air box, removing the pea shooter out of the exhaust, and changing out the throttle stop will really wake this thing up. Comp ECU ordered today, I get it in a few days... Im hoping this thing rips because right now im not sold on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3427.JPG

• Dualsportwr450

Posted March 23, 2016 - 12:01 PM

That should do it its fuel injected so all you need is the gytr performance upgrade and exhaust. I suggest FMF mega
bomb and rct slip on.

Edited by Dualsportwr450, March 23, 2016 - 12:01 PM.

• stevethe

Posted March 23, 2016 - 12:14 PM

Take it back and try another one??

• numan

Posted March 23, 2016 - 12:23 PM

Take it back and try another one??

From what im reading, they are all like this. Even the ones that have reveiws on them have the simple mods done. I dont think its defective, just not ready to ride strait out of the box.

• stevethe

Posted March 23, 2016 - 12:35 PM

From what im reading, they are all like this. Even the ones that have reveiws on them have the simple mods done. I dont think its defective, just not ready to ride strait out of the box.

Hum a guy answering his own questions correctly. I like that.

• jimmym

Posted March 23, 2016 - 12:39 PM

Have faith, my friend. Take the time to show her the love she needs and deserves. She will give you an adventure that will blow your mind for many years to come.

• Chaconne

Posted March 23, 2016 - 05:26 PM

The dealer didn't give you a head's up about this stuff? WTF. :thumbsdn:

First I worked out the price with dealer I bought my 2014 from, and before I had even gotten around to asking  them to  uncork it,  they offered to do it in for free as part of the setup. The dealer said he would be ashamed to let a bike like the WR450 in go out the door in corked condition unless the customer wanted it that way.

Edited by Chaconne, March 23, 2016 - 05:27 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 23, 2016 - 05:36 PM

First I worked out the price with dealer I bought my 2014 from, and before I had even gotten around to asking  them to  uncork it,  they offered to do it in for free as part of the setup. The dealer said he would be ashamed to let a bike like the WR450 in go out the door in corked condition unless the customer wanted it that way.

The dealer can't modify an EPA restriced bike in many of the states.

That's why they make the kit.

• numan

Posted March 23, 2016 - 05:39 PM

First I worked out the price with dealer I bought my 2014 from, and before I had even gotten around to asking them to uncork it, they offered to do it in for free as part of the setup. The dealer said he would be ashamed to let a bike like the WR450 in go out the door in corked condition unless the customer wanted it that way.

Dealer didn't say anything, I knew they were detuned but I didn't know how bad...

• Chaconne

Posted March 23, 2016 - 05:40 PM

The dealer can't modify an EPA restriced bike in many of the states.

That's why they make the kit.

Ahh. Got it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chaconne

Posted March 23, 2016 - 05:41 PM

Dealer didn't say anything, I knew they were detuned but I didn't know how bad...

Maybe its like Krannie says in your state. I bought mine in the Northeast they are strict about a lot of things but there was no problem with that here.

• wizbangdoodle

Posted March 23, 2016 - 05:43 PM

Yeah, once you get that throttle stop changed and the rest of the basic mods done, you'll wonder if it's a different bike. 

I thought the same thing when I went from my '07 to my '12. Rode the '12 around the parking lot and thought "what a pig". Took it home and modded it and, voila, new bike.

• numan

Posted March 23, 2016 - 07:51 PM

So I came home and took the exhaust apart, that's all good to go. I thought the 15 airbox was like the 16, it's not. So what can I do to mod the stock airbox or is it needed?

• SatansReverence

Posted March 24, 2016 - 12:24 AM

Just take the snorkel off that goes between the battery/fuel tank.

Throttle stop is probably a bigger thing to worry about then the airbox snorkel.

I do love how in Aus they come completely uncorked from the dealer with the comp ecus.

• 450crazy

Posted March 24, 2016 - 03:32 AM

I've done the throttle stop, removed the pea shooter, gtyr comp and mapping. Got great results and a lot more power. Let me know if you gain anything from the air box mod. I have been hesitant to do it for fear of water getting into the system. Thanks

• numan

Posted March 24, 2016 - 04:42 AM

Removing the snorkle from the air box doesnt seem like you would gain much, its still roughly the same size hole going into the air box after the snorkle is removed. Unless I'm missing something? I'm not sure I will do that yet. My Comp Ecu shipped yesterday and comes with the new throttle stop, scheduled delivery is tomorrow.

• numan

Posted March 25, 2016 - 06:42 PM

Pea shooter out, throttle stop replaced, GYTR ECU installed. I am MORE than pleased with this bike right now. 100% different bike. Hitting the trails tomorrow!

• wizbangdoodle

Posted March 25, 2016 - 07:46 PM

I knew you'd like it.

• numan

Posted March 26, 2016 - 10:22 AM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459016574.989448.jpg

• 450crazy

Posted March 26, 2016 - 12:22 PM

Been riding in KY. Great trails and people. Running a good gytr map and having a blast.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.