what weight oil/ what kind

3 replies to this topic
  • yz400fmaniac

Posted March 21, 2016 - 04:09 PM

I have a yz400f 1998, I bought 4 quarts of motorcycle oil, 15w 50 because i found it on sale and i was planning on using it until somebody told me it needs to be like 90 degrees f to use or its to thick so i am wondering if i should use it or not it is around 50 degrees in wi right now i am currently running 5w 30 last summer i ran 10w 40 so what should i be using and what is the weather i should be using these in 

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted March 21, 2016 - 04:13 PM

Depends on the bike, but I pretty much use 20W50 year round.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Attached is a typical oil range chart from the manual.  Note that 20w-(X) is good for temperatures down to as low as 50 ℉.  10w-(X) covers temps as low as 10 ℉.  On the up side, (X)w-40 is usable in weather up to 110 ℉, so there is rarely a reason to run 50 weight oils at all, although I personally use a 20w-50 during the hottest 3 months of the year in SoCal (July-Sep) when temperatures are at or above 90 ℉ most of the time.

50 weights are unnecessary in cooler weather, and I almost always run 40's because the lighter oil circulates faster, and the volume of oil delivered to the lube points is more important than how thick it is. 

Use a premium oil, preferably a true full synthetic blended for use in motorcycle engines that share engine oil with the clutch and transmission.  Change or service the filter every time you change the oil.

Attached Thumbnails

• chart.png

• yz400fmaniac

Posted March 22, 2016 - 07:42 AM

ok thanks it rarely gets 90 in wisconsin so I will stick rotella t6 10w-40 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.