WR450 Electrical Issues After Baja Designs Enduro and Dead Battery

Brand Yamaha Yamaha WR450F 2004 Brand Baja Designs Electrical Electrical Components Baja Designs Internal Stators Electrical Electrical Components Baja Designs Regulator/Rectifier

3 replies to this topic
  • brandonlocko

Posted March 21, 2016 - 03:30 PM

New User but I have been reading anything I can find on TT and other forums.

2004 Yamaha WR450. Ran great without a single issue, wanted to drive it on the street so bought the Baja Designs Enduro kit (which side note, might have been a mistake).

Installed the Enduro kit with new Baja Designs Regulator/Rectifier - I modified the stator myself but tested the resistance and it is good at just about .5 ohms.

Post install, hopped on the bike and went on 5 or so rides (3-4 hours each) - Bike would start right up with the e-start during any part of the ride and after I got home. (I should have checked the charging voltage after the install but didn't)

Bike was then in the garage for only 2 weeks while I put new chain and sprockets on. I forgot to keep my battery tender connected while I was working on it. Tried to charge battery and it was toast. So buy a new battery.

I then went for a short ride about an hour and the bike dies. but dead dead dead. Get home after a good Samaritan gave me a ride and new battery is toast. So buy another new battery and start diagnosing. Bike starts and runs fine with my jump box or fully charged battery

the charging voltage at the battery posts jumps around between .9-5.5 but definitely not enough to charge.

Checked my work on the stator, workmanship still looks good and still .5 ohms resistance

Checked the charging voltage out of the regulator/rectifier and it is 13.8-14.2 - so good right.

Tried to check the resistance on the charging coil connection but could not get a reading

Checked the resistance on the AC Magneto and it was good.

What Am I Missing?

Let me know what you all think.....

Edited by brandonlocko, March 21, 2016 - 04:09 PM.

• JVP

Posted March 24, 2016 - 10:09 AM

You somehow messed up the stator when you tried to Float the Ground to convert it to a straight DC system.  I am guessing you are running straight AC into your battery.  You have three choices.  A. Purchase a Ricky Stator. B Try to fix what you have or C. Get another WR stator and start over.  BTW, I went with Choice A.  If you decide Choice C, I have a non-coverted WR stator available for a good price.  PM me if you are interested.

Attached Thumbnails

• WR Stator.JPG

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brandonlocko

Posted March 25, 2016 - 03:47 PM

You somehow messed up the stator when you tried to Float the Ground to convert it to a straight DC system.  I am guessing you are running straight AC into your battery.  You have three choices.  A. Purchase a Ricky Stator. B Try to fix what you have or C. Get another WR stator and start over.  BTW, I went with Choice A.  If you decide Choice C, I have a non-coverted WR stator available for a good price.  PM me if you are interested.

Thank you for the response and help...

Fact Check me on these statements then if you will please.

So even though the Ohms tested correctly from what Baja Designs said after the modification I am just testing the AC coil, and not the AC and DC Coil Resistance?

And although charging voltage out of the regulator rectifier showed correct I am only reading AC which will not charge the battery?

I think you are right. Do you recommend the Ricky Stator over the Trail Tech?

• JVP

Posted March 25, 2016 - 05:33 PM

Ricky Stator works for me.  I don't buy Trail Tech crap........

Related Content

Forums
Photo

If not a YZ, then what...? by rpt50

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

JGR Done! by Squid_Racer

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  507 replies
Forums
Photo

2017 Yamaha Team by mx agent

• Hot  360 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Stewarts on Yamahas? by Mongo134

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.