How to seal header/muffler joint?

6 replies to this topic
  • DangerRanger245

Posted March 20, 2016 - 06:30 PM

I installed an FMF exhaust on my WR. With a stock header and FMF exhaust, you typically use their little aluminum spacer/adapter sleeve thing. The sleeve has shifted around a little, and I'm seeing a small exhaust leak there.

1. Should I really care, as it's a flow through muffler?
2. Can I use some copper based hi temp sealant around the joint?

• speedtoad

Posted March 20, 2016 - 07:11 PM

I cut up a pop can and it worked.  A beer or energy drink can might work better.

• DangerRanger245

Posted March 20, 2016 - 08:31 PM

The sleeve is in place. There's just a small gap between the edge of the mid pipe and the lip of the sleeve. I'm wondering if a bead around that would help. It's a slight leak, and it's a son of a bitch to pull apart.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ozglenn

Posted March 21, 2016 - 02:07 AM

I used a fire rated silicone from a BBQ shop and it did the trick as I had a slight leak from the mid pipe to header pipe join

• SilvFx

Posted March 21, 2016 - 09:58 AM

You can use the permatex hi temp copper gasket for the exhaust.  I am also running the DRC pipe clamp in the 40-43mm size. 

DRC also makes exhaust gaskets.  I found that when i went to pull out the FMF alum spacer that even though i was getting the exhaust leakage I couldnt easily get it out.  Nearly had to beat it out of the slip on muffler portion and ended  up having to replace with a new FMF alum spacer at $20.

I see that DRC (Dirt Freak) also makes an exhaust joint gasket that is more like the OEM joint material and might work on the FMF pipe.

• DangerRanger245

Posted March 21, 2016 - 03:40 PM

Found some loctite red high temp rtv in the garage, pulled mid pipe off, put sealant inside midpipe and on the FMF spacer. Shoved together and here she is. Can't get rid of that gap, that adapter is seized onto the header and won't shift around. What do you guys think? You can see where I tried beating the bastard back

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458603651.253728.jpg

Edited by DangerRanger245, March 21, 2016 - 03:41 PM.

• Snowynonuts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 04:06 PM

Seems legit

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.