License plate bracket for late model wr's

13 replies to this topic
  • Not sponsored

Posted March 20, 2016 - 01:55 PM

So I've bought wr head/tail lights for my 2016 450fx with the intention of plating it for enduros, wondering what people with street legal wr's used for a license plate holder? I can't seem to find anything from Yamaha.

• tomerb

Posted March 20, 2016 - 05:58 PM

I sent you a PM about the license plate bracket........

• stevethe

Posted March 20, 2016 - 06:11 PM

One of the nicest is made by Ryco Motorsport.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted March 20, 2016 - 07:50 PM

I had to make one because I couldn't find anyone selling just the bracket...  always seems to be part

of the full dual sport kit.      Ryco seemed to be the same way.   

• XRBrady

Posted March 20, 2016 - 09:32 PM

I absolutely love my license plate bracket.

https://www.berad-pr...collections/all

• Pinepig

Posted March 20, 2016 - 10:30 PM

I whacked one out of a 6 dollar tub I found at Lowes in the sheetrock area.   I just pulled the lower piece off the tail light,  made it fit pretty close with two holes drilled in it for the capture.    

Then before I sandwiched it in between the tail light and the lower cover I heated the the area that would be squished up with a propane torch till it was very pliable then screwed it all together before it cooled.

Mount the plate and trimmed to size after that.

It's flexible,   I can push the plate to the fender or flatten it out and it just springs back into place.   I't held up to being kicked multiple times and about 800 miles so far.   

The bonus,  I have enough material to make three more,  LOL.

make3more_zpsuwaue3wp.jpg

ablinker_zpsixyhkumo.jpg

sacdirtbike_zpshir2kzxc.jpg

• Not sponsored

Posted March 21, 2016 - 03:01 AM

I whacked one out of a 6 dollar tub I found at Lowes in the sheetrock area.   I just pulled the lower piece off the tail light,  made it fit pretty close with two holes drilled in it for the capture.    

Then before I sandwiched it in between the tail light and the lower cover I heated the the area that would be squished up with a propane torch till it was very pliable then screwed it all together before it cooled.

Mount the plate and trimmed to size after that.

It's flexible,   I can push the plate to the fender or flatten it out and it just springs back into place.   I't held up to being kicked multiple times and about 800 miles so far.   

The bonus,  I have enough material to make three more,  LOL.

make3more_zpsuwaue3wp.jpg

ablinker_zpsixyhkumo.jpg

sacdirtbike_zpshir2kzxc.jpg

Great idea, I have one of those tubs under my deck, I was thinking some type of thick rubber but that looks like it would work fine. I've seen the ones that mount on the inside of the fender but I wanted one that could be removed easy as I use the bike for moto as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tomerb

Posted March 21, 2016 - 06:31 PM

One of the nicest is made by Ryco Motorsport.

I have a  Ryco Motorsport  plate mount for sale.

• Not sponsored

Posted March 22, 2016 - 03:08 AM

I have a  Ryco Motorsport  plate mount for sale.

Thanks but that Ryco looks more for street riding, the fx will be off-road only and only need a plate to connect trails. Crashes are inevitable so I think something more flexible like pinepig's setup will work better, thanks to all who responded.

• stevethe

Posted March 22, 2016 - 04:09 AM

I have a Ryco Motorsport plate mount for sale.

Please send me a p.m. or email ss486100@gmail.com

Your p.m. isn't working.

Edited by stevethe, March 22, 2016 - 04:15 AM.

• rcfallen

Posted March 22, 2016 - 07:15 AM

I absolutely love my license plate bracket.

https://www.berad-pr...collections/all

I was going to suggest the same thing! haha  :thumbsup:

• SilvFx

Posted March 22, 2016 - 09:46 AM

go to amazon.com.  Look at 3/16 or 1/4" UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic sheets in 12" x 12" or 12" x 24" and cut to the shape you want to hold the plate.  You can get in white, black or natural.  Use the screws that hold on the rear taillight to attach the UHMW plastic license plate holder to rear fender.  May need to get longer screws.

http://www.amazon.co...MW5K00PZ8RHZ2QB

The UHMW plastic is even tougher than the HDPE plastic they use for fuel tanks.  It will keep its shape better than some of the plastics suggested above, because what inevitably happens is the weight of the plate and the bouncing tend to make the plate fall and if it isnt sticking out the back will be grabbed by the rear tire and folded under.

Here is mine with the uhmw plastic:

http://www.thumperta...ha-wr450f-2007/

Go to the picture titled with WR License plate holder

• jcjr

Posted March 22, 2016 - 09:46 AM

The BeRad frame is slick for supermoto but not for trail use. A mud-caked plate will get you pulled over by DNR or five-O for sure.

Plus it's not illuminated, so don't get caught out after dark, eh?

• jcjr

Posted March 30, 2016 - 11:13 AM

Does anyone know how to get one of the license plate brackets that are on the Aussie 450F's?

That'd be perfect.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.