PLEASE HELP!

• Please sign in to reply

17 replies to this topic
  • Turbolife

TT Newbie

24 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 09:47 AM

Hi guys,

I have a 2016 YZ450f 60th anniversary and i bought the tuner for it and my question i have is, will the maps for earlier year models work with my year of bike? For example, will the Jay Marmont map work for my bike even though it was made for an older bike??? The bike is pretty much in stock form still. I have twin air filter, FMF megabomb header, and FMF power core 4 hex GYTR slip on. Oh and the tuner.. I just put all these parts on yesterday and haven't ridden it yet because I couldn't figure out what map to use. I know that shopyamaha has their base line maps and has one for aftermarket exhaust that I'll use for now, but my main question still is if i could use maps that were intended for older models or can i only use maps that were specifically made for 2016??? Thanks for your time..

• Costa Rican YZ450F

TT Bronze Member

134 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 02:35 PM

I own a 2016 as well, from my understanding the ECU mapping in the 2016 is not the same as the 14' nor 15' that's way the maps are different. Here are the maps I've found for the '16 I'm using the aftermarket exhaust one, I have the full Dr.D, also an article posted my MXA states,"That said, the 2016 Yamaha YZ450F stands apart
from its two brethren in that the cam change and 3% leaner mapping fill in the bottom of the powerband where the previous YZ450Fs were weak."

Attached Thumbnails

• 1458513323263.jpg
  • 1458513338868.jpg
  • 1458513351455.jpg

• jimbopitts and Turbolife like this
  • Like This

• Monk
23,689 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 20, 2016 - 02:48 PM

Hi guys,
I have a 2016 YZ450f 60th anniversary and i bought the tuner for it and my question i have is, will the maps for earlier year models work with my year of bike? For example, will the Jay Marmont map work for my bike even though it was made for an older bike??? The bike is pretty much in stock form still. I have twin air filter, FMF megabomb header, and FMF power core 4 hex GYTR slip on. Oh and the tuner.. I just put all these parts on yesterday and haven't ridden it yet because I couldn't figure out what map to use. I know that shopyamaha has their base line maps and has one for aftermarket exhaust that I'll use for now, but my main question still is if i could use maps that were intended for older models or can i only use maps that were specifically made for 2016??? Thanks for your time..

You can use them, but they probably won't work was well as intended. As mentioned, the base map is different in the 16, as with the 15 and 14...

• Turbolife

TT Newbie

24 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 04:58 PM

Thanks costa rican for that info and the maps. I guess my next question now is, what maps are you guys out there using on the 2016 models  

• Costa Rican YZ450F

TT Bronze Member

134 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 05:30 PM

I've used several, right now I'm using the MXA aftermarket exhaust one, it was developed with DR.D owner Doug Dubach. I do get a few lean pops when I go off a jump and blip the throttle, but other then that it does make the bike more lively. Also we have a dry season here I've used the hard packed one too and it definitely mellows the bike on the initial throttle response but you don't lose power up top. One thing I definitely feel that's a must is a 49t rear, unless your a fast B or A rider it helps me pull 3rd and 4th much easier. Let me know what you use.

• Monk
23,689 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 20, 2016 - 05:37 PM

I've used several, right now I'm using the MXA aftermarket exhaust one, it was developed with DR.D owner Doug Dubach. I do get a few lean pops when I go off a jump and blip the throttle, but other then that it does make the bike more lively. Also we have a dry season here I've used the hard packed one too and it definitely mellows the bike on the initial throttle response but you don't lose power up top. One thing I definitely feel that's a must is a 49t rear, unless your a fast B or A rider it helps me pull 3rd and 4th much easier. Let me know what you use.

I dropped into a 50t and found its even better. I pulled 49 for a long time but 50t made lugging in 3rd so much better through corners...

• Turbolife

TT Newbie

24 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 05:55 PM

what does this changing of the sprocket do? make you not have to change gears as often??

• Monk
23,689 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 20, 2016 - 06:30 PM

what does this changing of the sprocket do? make you not have to change gears as often??

Yes, sorta. Having lowering gearing allows you to move the power down and makes it easier for you to ride...

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 21, 2016 - 06:46 AM

Lowering the gear ratio (using a larger rear or smaller front sprocket) makes the gearbox ratios feel closer together, so you do actually end up shifting more often unless you just don't downshift much.  On the other hand, the closer spacing means there's a "perfect" gear to use more often, until you run out of gear in 5th.  Raising the overall ratio has the opposite effect. 

Lowering the gearing will make it easier to ride slower in low gear with the clutch engaged, but also makes the bike jerkier on/off the throttle, so it's a mixed bag.

• Turbolife

TT Newbie

24 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 11:15 AM

I wish there was more maps available for the 2016!

• TN Dirt Rider

TT Silver Member

794 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 03:02 PM

I wish there was more maps available for the 2016!

Make your own! Take a map and tweak some things until you like it.

Edited by TN Dirt Rider, March 21, 2016 - 03:03 PM.

• Turbolife

TT Newbie

24 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:05 AM

I would but I'm scared I'm going to blow my engine up! Like lean it out too much or something.

• TN Dirt Rider

TT Silver Member

794 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:47 AM

I would but I'm scared I'm going to blow my engine up! Like lean it out too much or something.

I don't think the tuner gives you broad enough capabilities to blow anything up.....that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 23, 2016 - 02:47 PM

Four-strokes are tremendously tolerant of sub-optimal jetting, for one thing.  They will start to run badly enough that you'd do something about it long before they hurt themselves from being lean.  Remember, the amount of oil they get is NOT dependent on the amount of fuel they burn.  Running too rich is actually worse for them, as that will promote ring wear and contaminate your oil with fuel.

Timing too advanced would be more worrisome, but even then, the amount of total change you would be capable of with the tuner is in a fairly narrow range.  I wouldn't concern myself over it too much.

Study what's being done to achieve the different mappings and experiment.

• Turbolife

TT Newbie

24 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 11:08 AM

Ok I guess I'll just start with the exhaust tune and go from there. Thanks a lot guys!!

• Costa Rican YZ450F

TT Bronze Member

134 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 04:59 PM

I dropped into a 50t and found its even better. I pulled 49 for a long time but 50t made lugging in 3rd so much better through corners...

Thanks Monk, I had a 50t laying around and you convinced me to install it. Your right it's even better for pulling 3rd, I don't think I'll go back to the 49t again. Next Saturday I'll try it at a longer track that will be the true tester for me.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,032 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 04:35 AM

Anyone try the linear torque map for the 2016 yz450f?

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,032 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:28 AM

Four-strokes are tremendously tolerant of sub-optimal jetting, for one thing. They will start to run badly enough that you'd do something about it long before they hurt themselves from being lean. Remember, the amount of oil they get is NOT dependent on the amount of fuel they burn. Running too rich is actually worse for them, as that will promote ring wear and contaminate your oil with fuel.

Timing too advanced would be more worrisome, but even then, the amount of total change you would be capable of with the tuner is in a fairly narrow range. I wouldn't concern myself over it too much.

Study what's being done to achieve the different mappings and experiment.

What about the linear map? I tried it, feels awesome, like an xr650 with awesome handling and suspension. Made riding deep sand easy and much more tractable and confidence inspiring to keep momentum up.1474306073268.jpg

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.