DOT tire combo for '15 wr450f / New Member from Arkansas

9 replies to this topic
  • sdhollan

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:32 PM

Hi, I have been trying to find a good combination of tires for my bike for 80% dirt but I can't seem to find anything specific for 450s (most people on were saying they rode bigger adventure bikes). From what I can tell many people like a D606 rear and a MT21 front? What do you guys recommend? I live in Arkansas so the terrain can be muddy, slick, and full of roots. 

Oh and I am new to the forum! I have a 2015 wr450f that I am in the process of plating so I don't have to load up to hit nearby trails

• thomas liles

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:47 PM

Kenda has several dot tires. I've run the track master and it did pretty good You can google Dot dirtbike tires and you get a bunch of options. You could just get a set of knobbies and hope they don't check your tires. What part of Arkansas you live in? Me and a few buddies were planning a trip to mill creek or lake greeson within the next month or so

• Ronnie.sensiba

Posted March 16, 2016 - 10:08 PM

I have tried several dot tires and the kenda trakmasters are the best. Doesn't really matter which particular bike. There are others that work as well but they wear out faster. There are some more durable but they don't work as well. These are the best in the middle in my opinion. Work well in any terrain.

• sdhollan

Posted March 17, 2016 - 03:23 PM

What size front and rear do y'all recommend? I have a 80/100-21 front and a 120/90-18 rear but kenda doesn't make the rear in that size

• sdhollan

Posted March 17, 2016 - 03:24 PM

Kenda has several dot tires. I've run the track master and it did pretty good You can google Dot dirtbike tires and you get a bunch of options. You could just get a set of knobbies and hope they don't check your tires. What part of Arkansas you live in? Me and a few buddies were planning a trip to mill creek or lake greeson within the next month or so

I live in central Arkansas. I just got the bike so I may need some time to get used to the step up before I'm ready to keep up with the big boys!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thomas liles

Posted March 17, 2016 - 03:33 PM

I live in central Arkansas. I just got the bike so I may need some time to get used to the step up before I'm ready to keep up with the big boys!

i run a 130/80/18 irc m5b on the rear of my wr 450. You could run a 110/100. Or 120/100 or 4.50/18 If you choose a Michelin watch out for the size. They are different than normal sizing.

Edited by thomas liles, March 17, 2016 - 04:53 PM.

• steggat

Posted March 20, 2016 - 05:08 AM

Michelin enduro competition 4 in the front and Michelin ac10 in the back.
Cheap and good

• sdhollan

Posted March 20, 2016 - 07:45 AM

Thanks guys!

• LeanBurn

Posted March 20, 2016 - 11:48 AM

I like the Metzler 6 day extreme. Not the longest lasting tire, but it grips.

• Nuklhed

Posted March 20, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Michelin AC10's were terrible for me.  Lasted 250 miles before they stopped gripping.  Tread was about 60% at that point.  I don't ride hard.  They came off the bike and straight to the landfill.

Put a Pirelli scorpion up front in 80/100.  In the sand, it was a bit divey and gripped okay.  The rear, I put on a trials tire.  It gripped great in everything but downhills and silt.  It was weird trying to pitch the ass end sideways on gravel roads and it wouldn't do it.

After those wore out, I put on a Pirelli rally cross in the back. Not sure how much I like it.  It doesn't stand out, isn't horrible.  Went with a 90 mm wide pirelli mid-hard tire up front.  Made the front less divey in the sandy stuff.

All of these were DOT tires.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.