Yamaha - Using Scotts Steering Damper Settings

10 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted March 16, 2016 - 01:13 PM

I have never used a steering damper before but just ordered me one from Scotts for my YZ450FX.  I have tried to do some research on this mod and what settings are useful.  If you have a Scotts damper could you please post your settings and some comments on how those settings are working for you and the terrain you ride.  I believe this would be helpful for those of us that have never used a steering damper before.   I realize this could be posted in the general discussion forum, but really would like Yamaha users.    Thanks.

• RMK800

Posted March 16, 2016 - 01:17 PM

As mentioned I have done some research on this within TT and with some magazines.  I found a magazine that did a review and settings for Scotts.  I found it interesting that they decreased the sweep and added .5 to the High speed.  I'm not sure if this is for MX or trail. 

I also found some good threads where a member was posting his thoughts and basically summed it up with the base valve, where you better off having it on the loose side then on the tight.  His thoughts were that if the base valve is to tight it can hinder riding ability and skill.  Since I have never even ridden with one, I'm not sure what to think about that.

• tmeyer37

Posted March 16, 2016 - 01:34 PM

As mentioned I have done some research on this within TT and with some magazines.  I found a magazine that did a review and settings for Scotts.  I found it interesting that they decreased the sweep and added .5 to the High speed.  I'm not sure if this is for MX or trail. 

I also found some good threads where a member was posting his thoughts and basically summed it up with the base valve, where you better off having it on the loose side then on the tight.  His thoughts were that if the base valve is to tight it can hinder riding ability and skill.  Since I have never even ridden with one, I'm not sure what to think about that.

You will probably just need to play with it to get the settings you want. I understand wanting feedback from other riders to get a baseline though. I use a Scotts dampener but the previous owner installed it, I rarely adjust it unless I know I am going down an extra rutted out trail where I want stiffer setting. Wish I could be more helpful. I generally tighten it till I can feel a difference in turning the bars and back it off a click or two from there. 

Edited by tmeyer37, March 16, 2016 - 01:35 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2016 - 01:50 PM

... a member was posting his thoughts and basically summed it up with the base valve, where you better off having it on the loose side then on the tight.  His thoughts were that if the base valve is to tight it can hinder riding ability and skill.  Since I have never even ridden with one, I'm not sure what to think about that.

I'm not either, having ridden with one for several years.  The complaint I hear most often is that you can't feel it do anything, to which I say, "If you don't think it's working, take it back off after 3 weeks and try it that way."  They always put it back immediately afterward. 

Scotts has a downloadable manual at their web site which gives basic setting parameters, as well as service instructions.  Mine is set to damp the full sweep on both sides and I run the low speed at about 1 1/4 turns out, normally.  The high speed circuit is set originally by the factory at one full turn out from full stiff. the high speed circuit can't be tested by anything you can normally do in the shop or at a standstill.  The HS is supposed to kick in extra resistance to an extreme front end deflection like when you catch that sneaky rock out crop you didn't see.  You kind of just have to try it out and see what you think.  Never back it out farther than 3 turns.  Mine is pretty close to the factory setting of one turn out.

• RMK800

Posted March 16, 2016 - 02:47 PM

Ya I figured it is a little trial and error. Interesting your using the full sweep, any negatives or positives to running the sweep full? The magazine article actually reduced the sweep from the default.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted March 16, 2016 - 06:01 PM

I run about 75% sweep. My bike is constantly turning and I prefer a slower steering bike and use more body input...

If you watch, very little bar movement and deflection...

Granted these are two different bikes, two different riders, the terrain is the same. Pittbull has a ton of bar movement vs me...

• RMK800

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:47 PM

Ya your front is very quite, I'm really looking forward to this mod. Where do you have your base valve and high speed set?

• Monk

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Ya your front is very quite, I'm really looking forward to this mod. Where do you have your base valve and high speed set?

Let you know in the morning...

• RMK800

Posted March 26, 2016 - 06:53 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459046904.537385.jpg

Got my Scotts mounted in position three on my FX. Took it around the yard with default settings. Feels barely noticeable. Quality is top notch. Also tried a few clicks less and that felt better. I'm going to Moab next week. I'm going to start with stock and see how I like it. Excited to try this mod. I do a mix of everything, be interesting to see how this reacts to slow single track and more open enduro.

Edited by RMK800, March 26, 2016 - 06:54 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2016 - 07:32 AM

Feels barely noticeable.

So much so that people often say that they don't think it does anything.  So I tell them to ride with it for 2-3 weeks and then take it back off.

No one leaves them off very long, though. :smirk:

• RMK800

Posted March 27, 2016 - 05:58 PM

So much so that people often say that they don't think it does anything. So I tell them to ride with it for 2-3 weeks and then take it back off.

No one leaves them off very long, though. :smirk:

Well I don't see me ever taking this off. Thanks for the input.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.