I've turned to the Dark Side

28 replies to this topic
  • Pete_Z

Posted May 11, 2001 - 07:16 AM

I can't believe that I'm writing this especially after all the "quiet bikes save trails" preaching that I've done lately.The sad truth is that I installed a White Brothers E-Series muffler on my bike last night and I LOVE IT and I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS ABOUT IT! :DI just can't go back to stock now.My apologies to mike68,it would appear that I have discovered the enemy and it is me! :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 11, 2001 - 07:44 AM

Don't appoligize to me you noisy bear hugging Canadian. :) Everyone has the right to choose, eh? Why didn't you check into other systems that offer HP benifits without the noise? I am waiting to buy a pipe. Things are gonna change in the next year or so. After market pipes are going to be refined to reap both benifits, power and peace.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 11, 2001 - 08:09 AM

Hello Mike, I believe that you are being a bit optimistic about the ability to have both, performance and quiet. Unless you are ready to carry around twenty pounds of muffler.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 11, 2001 - 08:51 AM

There are pipes at 92 to 94 db on the forign market. Stainless, aluminum and titanium. I don't know how to get them yet. My bike doesn't feel heavy stock and rips right along. I do want it quieter and I wil find a way.

• Pete_Z

Posted May 11, 2001 - 09:02 PM

Hi Mike.I bought the pipe on a whim because up until last night I hadn't even started my bike this spring and I needed to buy something for it so it wouldn't be mad at me. ;)Actually I got the E-Series because it was a pretty good deal.I tried it last night with 6 discs and IMO it's not that loud. It was the first time I've ever tried the bike uncorked because the CDN. pipe doesn't have a removable baffle.I was very surprised, there was a BIG improvment in throttle response.I can't wait to get it dialed in a little bit better.

• Sandracer_uk

Posted May 11, 2001 - 09:02 PM

CRD in europe do queite pipes

• Pete_Z

Posted May 11, 2001 - 09:10 PM

Hey Mike BTW- not only do Canadians hug bears we ride moose,have beer and back bacon for breakfast,live in igloos, drive dog sleds,and catch salmon with our bare hands :) :D

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 11, 2001 - 09:20 PM

Pete Z, You make me want to become a Canadian. It sounds like fun. I would be really interested in a moose ride. My Dad is from the great white north as were all my grandparents. I am one of those French Canadians that never lived in the great white
north. That shoud explain just about everything.

• revin_kevin

Posted May 11, 2001 - 10:14 AM

SNAP !!!!!!!!
Just fitted white bros e to mine,christ wot
a differance.
read lots on site about wr400's havin ripsnortin power,thought it was all hipe,even said as much on various replies to threads....SORRY SORRY SORRY.... my bike is
now the Diffinative RIPSNORTER..
P>S wheelies are now a welcome fact of life
bike on the dyno t/morrow....recon on 40/42bhp
PPs does the header pipe add any more!!!!!!!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 11, 2001 - 10:20 AM

I am sure you weren't even riding beyond the bikes potential before you put it on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted May 11, 2001 - 11:59 AM

Revin and Pete,

I have had the E-Series on my bike since shortly after I bought the bike. I use the tapered header and run 12 discs. I tried 8 but the power was way down and it fouled a plug almost immediately.

The tapered header will enhance the bottom end. Also clears the oil filter :)

I've ridden with mike68 and he said that the pipe wasn't as loud as he thought it would be.

I also have just recieved a stock YZ pipe. I'll be trying it for comparison of loudness and performance. Probably YZ time my bike and try a "E" series needle as well.

Mikes faster than I am, I'm not riding the bike to anywhere near it's potential but, it is fun to tinker. After all it is, a big boys toy :D

97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 11, 2001 - 12:24 PM

I am not riding it to its fullest potential either, but it is fun to give you noisy, 2hp seeking guys a hard time.

• ScottyR

Posted May 11, 2001 - 03:12 PM

Pete, I hope you aren't planning on riding it in any of the Kawi Trail Rides as they are doing sound tests before you can enter. They turned away everyone on WRs with aft. pipes at the Beagle Bash last weekend. At Calabogie in Sept, my 01 KTM400EXC just barely passed the sound test with the stock pipe! Good Luck!

Posted May 11, 2001 - 04:13 PM

Pete Z. Welcome aboard! Now you know why I get frustrated trying to make a great running bike quieter(all choked up). Thanks for coming out of the closet! :) Bill, you mean to tell me that after all that ranting and raving Mike68 didn't think it was all that bad? Man, is he crusty beyond his years or is he really that old? :D

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 12, 2001 - 09:34 PM

Pete Z , Glad to see you've decided to come to the dark side with Pmaust and myself, Dont feel bad that you have more fun on the bike from better throttle response and better pick up.. Now that you're in the club you can enjoy our secret meetings that include: Belly dancers, cuban cigars, Poker on Wednesday nights etc......

By the way, I don't think that an e-series pipe is all that much louder that other pipes out there, even the T4 that labeled me the bad apple isnt much louder if at all. Like I said before, If I had a US bike I probably would have kept the stocker pipe cause I think those are good pipes and look trick. Pete, I email you the secret password to get in the club...........

• Mojo

Posted May 12, 2001 - 08:18 PM

Man Dan. Beat that horse till it's dead. Belly dancers? If I get a loud pipe, can I still join???

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 14, 2001 - 06:28 AM

Mojo, Like Richard Dawson says....."Survey says"....................YES!!!!!

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 14, 2001 - 06:56 AM

Shouldn't your tell him about the initiation process?

• Pete_Z

Posted May 14, 2001 - 11:09 AM

I figured that I would get some mixed responses from this one,but I never would have guessed that I would be invited to join a club with secret meetings including cigars,poker and belly dancers!Should be great 'cause it kinda sounds like the strip club just outside of town,and I love that place. :)I don't have to shave my head,wear a blue robe and hand out pamphlets at the airport or anything like that,do I?I hear there's lots of that kind of stuff going on in SoCal,and while I could be talked into the shaved head and blue robe,I refuse to bother people at the airport.BTW- if the initiation involves smashing my stock muffler flat with a sledge count me in.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted May 14, 2001 - 11:42 AM

My clubs private lease is running head on into the noise issue. The major culprit is the uncorked YZ/WRs. WE have to police ourselves. The club will be implementing sound checks and enforcing the limit. We have to keep our lease.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.