Bike trailer with A/C question

5 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted March 18, 2002 - 02:29 AM

I eventually want to get a bike trailer and with summer coming I'm thinking more about it. I'd like to get something about 14' long with a side door and A/C. My question is, how powerful are the A/C units that go in trailers? Also how expensive are they? I'm concerned that on a 90+ degree day that it may not make a significant difference with the back door open (maybe I could add one of those shredded plastic curtains?). Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

• txthumper

Posted March 18, 2002 - 03:17 AM

a friend of mine did the same thing, bought a 12 ft enclosed and then went to a RV shop and bought a 13,500 btu ac unit, he give 450.00 for the ac, it works nice

• Chaindrive

Posted March 19, 2002 - 02:57 PM

Good idea w/plastic walk-in cooler curtain! A slightly cheaper way would be a small window-type unit, not as nice though. Don't forget the biggest expense is a generator. You must get one with @twice the power the a/c unit requires to RUN in order to START it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted March 22, 2002 - 04:30 AM

Thanks yall. I've already got a 4kw generator (5kw surge). I thought about the wall unit route, but I don't trust that they can take the bouncing around that they will get in the trailer. Do you guys have any recommendations for trailer brands/models? I'm going to try to get a 14' trailer with a side door if possible.

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 22, 2002 - 08:59 AM

Dang When it is that hot I sit in the beer cooler drinking suds :)

• IBWFO

Posted March 24, 2002 - 08:03 PM

I bought a 16 ft Haulmark, rear ramp door with a side door. I liked it over the wells Cargo because of the better hinges, but liked the step at the side door on the wells cargo.
After checking into the cost of the roof AC and the generator, and the Lack of resale value after doing this mod, I have decided to just sell it and get a ToyBox for around 15K.
Good luck to ya. I just didn't want to be sitting in that little space with AC fighting what little room was there. Now that my son is into racing and he has passed up the "Old Man" out on the track, we (ME) could use the fridge/shower/AC!!

D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.