13 yz450 intake cam

11 replies to this topic
  • Dangerranger1973

Posted March 14, 2016 - 10:38 AM

I had an issue with the intake valve #2, closes to the chain back in October. The bucket stuck in the head and broke. I was able to take the head apart and fix it so the bucket would rotate freely and wasn't binding. I did notice that the intake cam was a little advanced compared to a 12 yz450.

So it ran great had a little rough idle but started and ran great. Went out Saturday and it slowly got harder to start and was kicking back on me quite a bit a couple times each time I would start it. The last time I went to start it it kicked back and then next kick locked up.

Got it back to camp and pulled the valve cover set the timing marks and now my intake cam is pointing straight up. It slipped on the gear about 45-60 degrees.

Any one see this issue

• 0bigsilver6

Posted March 14, 2016 - 11:03 AM

I had an issue with the intake valve #2, closes to the chain back in October. The bucket stuck in the head and broke. I was able to take the head apart and fix it so the bucket would rotate freely and wasn't binding. I did notice that the intake cam was a little advanced compared to a 12 yz450.

So it ran great had a little rough idle but started and ran great. Went out Saturday and it slowly got harder to start and was kicking back on me quite a bit a couple times each time I would start it. The last time I went to start it it kicked back and then next kick locked up.

Got it back to camp and pulled the valve cover set the timing marks and now my intake cam is pointing straight up. It slipped on the gear about 45-60 degrees.

Any one see this issue

Sounds like your intake cam sprocket spun on the shaft. So you will need a new intake cam.

• Dangerranger1973

Posted March 14, 2016 - 11:05 AM

Yea I'm going to put hot cams in but the thing I find odd is the cam is advanced not retarded like I would guess

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2016 - 11:52 AM

The timing marks were found in their proper orientation when you took it apart for inspection?  Only the orientation of the lobes was off?

• Dangerranger1973

Posted March 14, 2016 - 11:58 AM

Yes timing marks are still spot on the lobes are out of alignment by a lot I will pull it down tonight and take a picture.

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2016 - 12:24 PM

There's no mechanism I'm aware of by which the cam can slip ahead in the sprocket so that it becomes advanced.  What must have happened is that the cam sprocket spun most of a complete revolution over the camshaft, hard as that might be to believe.  Hard to believe no valves are bent, but maybe you got lucky. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dangerranger1973

Posted March 14, 2016 - 01:58 PM

I have to get the head off and get the bucket out of the head and then I can check the valve.

Is anyone running the stage 1 hot cams and how do you like them

• Dangerranger1973

Posted March 14, 2016 - 03:45 PM

So I got the valve cover off and I found that the timing marks are lined up. But here is were it gets weird. It has 2 dots on the cam gear and one was lined up so the cam has slipped in the gear or it jumped time and the cam shaft rotated in the advance direction 5 teeth and just happened to line up with the other timing mark. I have a brand new tensioner on it. I really dought it jumped timing and just happened to land on that spot.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Dangerranger1973

Posted March 14, 2016 - 04:02 PM

Got the head off and the valve just nearly touched piston just a light mark in the carbon on the piston just got to see tomorrow if the valve is bent and not seating. Looks like the bucket stuck in the head again only 1.5hrs after I got it back together. The cams are still getting replaced. Going to hone the intake side cause the #1 valve bucket will not rotate in the bore.

What is my clearance on the valve bucket to cylinder bucket bore in the head.

• Dangerranger1973

Posted March 15, 2016 - 05:36 PM

Ok got the head pulled apart and cleaned the bore with a cylinder hone. Got it all washed up and checked my bucket to cylinder clearance and the intake side is .002" on both and the exhaust side is .0005" on both.

What's the thoughts on the clearance should I be good or that's a little to much?

Valve is good also

• Dangerranger1973

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:08 AM

So I bolted the head down to check for warping and I noticed while checking the bucket if I put pressure on one way on the top of the bucket to simulate the cam pushing on one edge it will drag an edge up and down.

So my head is scrap unless anyone thinks and can be milled and then sleeved and bored to the bucket again.

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:21 AM

Contact Engine Dynamics and talk to them about it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.