hesitating on 4th gear - YZ450F 2004

5 replies to this topic
  • Maks Tutan

Posted March 14, 2016 - 01:27 AM

dear guys,

I am rebuilding a YZ450F and everything is OK, but a transmission.

it felt perfect on 1, 2nd gears, but slight hesitation on 3rd and worst on 4th gear.

It feels like clutch keeps ON & OFF as frequency.

It accelerates and but still hesitating.

I tried to remove TPS, and gonna lower clutch disk numbers (I put as many as it can take).

I checked condition of transmission gears when it engine was open. But everything and every gears' condition was mint.

Please help.

What would be the cause???

What should I do?

WHat should I check next?

• 0bigsilver6

Posted March 14, 2016 - 05:52 AM

Clutch slipping?

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2016 - 06:39 AM

Worn gears.  How badly the jerking "hesitation" is depends on how much load you put on it, right?   The locking lugs on the sides of the gears have lost their proper squareness and become rounded over.  When that happens, the gears force away from each other instead of binding together.  When the condition gets bad enough, they bend the shift fork over far enough to skip out to the next slot, where the fork slams them back together, repeat.

If this is happening to both third and fourth, you will need both shift forks, and the third and fourth gears for the main shaft and output shaft.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Maks Tutan

Posted March 14, 2016 - 05:11 PM

Worn gears.  How badly the jerking "hesitation" is depends on how much load you put on it, right?   The locking lugs on the sides of the gears have lost their proper squareness and become rounded over.  When that happens, the gears force away from each other instead of binding together.  When the condition gets bad enough, they bend the shift fork over far enough to skip out to the next slot, where the fork slams them back together, repeat.

If this is happening to both third and fourth, you will need both shift forks, and the third and fourth gears for the main shaft and output shaft.

Thanks to you, being here, still helping, Grayracer.

I googled for the problem solution for hours. And everywhere the problem occurred, you were there.

I found out what is wrong with it while reading your replies.

I am gonna check the gears soon.

As I remember, Gears were in mint condition, but forks. I think the forks must be bent.

After the inspection, I would replace damaged parts.

Anyone tell me part numbers of 3rd and 4th pinions and relating fork???

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2016 - 06:40 AM

You're having this problem with 3rd also, right?  If so, you need the 3 & 4 on the output shaft as well, and the other fork.

• Maks Tutan

Posted March 15, 2016 - 05:14 PM

You're having this problem with 3rd also, right?  If so, you need the 3 & 4 on the output shaft as well, and the other fork.

I am gonna part apart my engine this weekend to see what was damaged.

before the taking it apart, I should check 3rd gear again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.