08 WR450 engine quits. NOOB needs help!

13 replies to this topic
  • pbcrazy9898

Posted March 13, 2016 - 01:00 PM

Hey Guys, This is a little embarrassing for my first post ever here.  

I just bought my first bike, its an 08 wr450.  When I test drove it, it ran great and there was no problems.  So I bought the bike. 

The next day I'm riding it around my neighborhood and the bike is running great but then the engine stopped. It didn't rev up, bog, or make any weird noises, it just stopped.   I can replicate it over and over again but I cant pinpoint it.  It doesn't seem to matter if it is idling or if Im riding it around it still seems to stop after 2-5 min of running. 

It takes me 2-3 min to start it up again but after i start it again the same thing will happen again 2-3 min later.  

I can see gas in the tank however its not full. The fuel is on, choke is off.  The battery is getting pretty low due to the excessive starting lately.  Could tis be a factor?

For what its worth it has a rekluse auto clutch. 

I am a super noob so Im hoping its something simple that I am overlooking.

Can you guys help me troubleshoot this?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 13, 2016 - 02:48 PM

Tank not venting (running out of fuel)

Stator is bad (no spark once hot)

Petcock filter in tank is filled with debris (running out of fuel)

• bobpara

Posted March 13, 2016 - 04:35 PM

Krannie is very good at this

following up on what he said, you may want to test for a spark once it dies

I know the spark plug is buried way up under the tank but if you can connect some sort of spark tester

When it dies, test for spark 

You will divide the problem in half right there

• AKmud

Posted March 15, 2016 - 07:50 AM

I'm with Krannie on this one. Make sure the tank is venting.

• JVP

Posted March 15, 2016 - 07:55 AM

If the bike restarts after a couple of minutes, then I am guessing the fuel vent hose or gas cap. 

• DrFeelGood

Posted March 18, 2016 - 06:45 AM

I'd recommend joining a forum, making one post.... Waste the time of people who you ask help of, then dont't reply to the help request.

Seems to work for most posters here.

• pbcrazy9898

Posted March 18, 2016 - 10:47 AM

DrKrabbyPants - Better wait for your first cup of coffee before you post next time.  None of these responses really require a reply and I'm not trying to cutter up this forum with a noob post like this one.

Turned out it needed more fuel.  I topped it off and I haven't really had time to test it but I let it idle for 15 min and it never shut off so
I think it was as simple as putting more fuel in it.  Yeah embarrassing right?

Edit: accidentally pressed "enter" before I was finished typing.

Edited by pbcrazy9898, March 18, 2016 - 10:50 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2016 - 11:29 AM

I'd recommend joining a forum, making one post.... Waste the time of people who you ask help of, then dont't reply to the help request.

Seems to work for most posters here.

...and you are not wasting our time ??

• pbcrazy9898

Posted March 19, 2016 - 07:30 AM

Im sorry if I wasted anyones time

• DrFeelGood

Posted March 19, 2016 - 09:26 AM

...and you are not wasting our time ??

Well, yes I am.

I just see it all too often where someone will join, make one post, and never update the post to help someone else with the same problem.

.....and by your own logic, aren't you wasting our time as well by replying to my time wasting post?

• DrFeelGood

Posted March 19, 2016 - 09:35 AM

DrKrabbyPants - Better wait for your first cup of coffee before you post next time.  None of these responses really require a reply and I'm not trying to cutter up this forum with a noob post like this one.

Turned out it needed more fuel.  I topped it off and I haven't really had time to test it but I let it idle for 15 min and it never shut off so
I think it was as simple as putting more fuel in it.  Yeah embarrassing right?

Edit: accidentally pressed "enter" before I was finished typing.

So, you don't do something as simple as check your fuel before posting up in a support forum and you call me a noob? I guess I'd be too embarrassed to post a reply as well.

DrCrabbyPants..... That's a good one.

• ftl900

Posted March 21, 2016 - 08:46 AM

If you could see fuel in the tank but the bike was dying due to fuel starvation, you may have a petcock issue.  On reserve, you should be able to use just about all the fuel in the tank. 

So if it's dying and you're on reserve, the petcock is clogged or something else is going wrong there.   You don't want to go riding and "run out of gas" with half a gallon left in the tank.

Or, maybe it just needed to be switched to reserve...?

Edited by ftl900, March 21, 2016 - 08:47 AM.

• pbcrazy9898

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:40 AM

If you could see fuel in the tank but the bike was dying due to fuel starvation, you may have a petcock issue.  On reserve, you should be able to use just about all the fuel in the tank. 

So if it's dying and you're on reserve, the petcock is clogged or something else is going wrong there.   You don't want to go riding and "run out of gas" with half a gallon left in the tank.

Or, maybe it just needed to be switched to reserve..

Yes I could see a little gas in the fuel tank and therefore I didn't think you could starve the engine.  I didn't switch it to 'reserve' because I literally thought there was a separate reserve fuel tank.  "Why would I change it to reserve if I can still see fuel in the main tank?" - this was my thought process.  

This is my very first bike ever so I'm still figuring all this common sense stuff out. 

All I had to do was fuel it up, it hasn't quit on me since.  

• ftl900

Posted March 21, 2016 - 11:26 AM

In the old days, many bikes had a separate valve for reserve that actually did run off a different part of the fuel tank, but no more. 

Here's the way it works.   Your petcock looks like this, more or less.

petcock_measure.jpg

With a full tank of gas, the tall straw draws fuel from the tank.The sides are mesh, so fuel doesn't go in the top like a soda straw, it flows in the sides.

Halfway down it isn't mesh anymore, so fuel can't get in.  You run out of gas.  

Switch it to reserve and then fuel can flow thru the mesh in the shorter straw.

This is more of a rough diagram, but still mostly relevant. You get the idea.

Motorcycle_PetcockReserve.png

Edited by ftl900, March 21, 2016 - 11:28 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.