AMA weight ruling

2 replies to this topic
  • DaveJ

Posted March 17, 2002 - 09:37 PM

TTr’s,

I wrote the AMA to get the update on the 4-stroke weight ruling. Thought you guys may like to see their reply.

Dave,

The Motocross/Supercross weight rule did not change. The weight rules for the 125 class is 194 lbs and the 250 weight is 216 lbs. The proposed rule in Motocross was not implemented. The reason for the proposal was to keep works bikes out of Motocross/Supercross. The current weight rule for both 125 and 250 is lower than the current 4-strokes can be made to weigh without spending a lot of money for ultralight weight parts. Also some of the ways to cut weight off from the current levels that we measure means that parts may need to be replaced much more often, also raising the cost.

Some people have stated that this rule was meant to keep out 4-strokes from our program. This in fact is not true. We have offered the factories a 4-stroke prototype homologation rule. This allowed them to build and race a 4-stroke which followed all the rules except for the standard production homologation rules. Several manufacturers have taken advantage of this rule, such as Yamaha and Honda. Because we did not change the rule there is nothing to write a press release about.

Thanks
Rob King
Technical Manager
AMA Pro Racing
13515 Yarmouth Dr.
Pickerington, OH 43147
614-856-1900 ext. 1230
614-856-1924 Fax
rking@amaproracing.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted March 19, 2002 - 04:53 AM

Its a conspiracy, I think the same people running the AMA ae connected to ENRON. Case in point

AMA GNC DIrt Track series, Boy have the run that in the dirt (Doh!) and also Why do we not have a World GP Here in AMERICA, Ask Kenny Roberts That one, This s why Lagunba is not on the bill any more. AMA is at best Not So good anymore.

They Screwed with and lost the Trans-AMA years ago bring people like Decoster, Mikola and the Bad Brad Lackeys together for some great programs.

I think they Shot JFK too

• Boit

Posted March 19, 2002 - 09:29 PM

I forget who said this about 30 years ago, but the guy was forward thinking. He said....(paraphrasing)..."The AMA is like cow manure....you know it's good for the roses but you don't wan't to touch it and get your hands dirty". Sums it up for me.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.