Coolant driping from pump housing 98 400f

4 replies to this topic
  • Jimmy_K

Posted March 17, 2002 - 07:28 PM

I have a 98 yz400f that drips coolant from the under side of the water pump housing. It seems to do it most when the bike is first started up. I plan to take the sidecase off and see what is going on. Does anyone have any idea as far as what to look for? I had also heard that 99 pumps are better, is this true?? THANKS Jimmy K

• YAMA455

Posted March 18, 2002 - 06:45 AM

I had the same thing a year ago on my 98. Sounds like you need to replace the seals at the impeller. But be careful taking it apart, the impeller shaft has a square drive end that will break!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpsalad

Posted March 18, 2002 - 07:25 AM

I just had the same thing on my '99. When the first seal goes, you get coolant out of the little hole on the bottom of the housing. There are 2 seals on the impeller shaft. replace them both even if one still looks good. They are only a couple of bucks.

You will have to remove the entire crancase (drain the oil!) cover to get at these parts. Taking off the impeller housing only lets you see the impeller itself. I think I paid $3 and $4 for each seal.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 18, 2002 - 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Jimmy K:
I have a 98 yz400f that drips coolant from the under side of the water pump housing. It seems to do it most when the bike is first started up. I plan to take the sidecase off and see what is going on. Does anyone have any idea as far as what to look for? I had also heard that 99 pumps are better, is this true?? THANKS Jimmy K

• MANIAC998

Posted March 18, 2002 - 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Jimmy K:

Hey Jimmy K. I once had a 98 and the pump shaft went bad and caused the seal to start leaking like you described. It is mostly caused by the crank wobbling and slowly wearing the seal out. Maybe that is happening to yours. It is easy enough to put a new seal in. That would probably do the trick, at the very least, for awhile. Yes, the '99 had a better pump, but I believe it's just the shaft that is different. Good luck

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.