Dewiring a 2014

6 replies to this topic
  • avlisj

Posted March 10, 2016 - 09:47 PM

I've removed my odo and headlight. I want to clean up the wiring mess at the head tube. Has anybody opened up the wiring loom and thinned it out? Is it a PIA. Looks like it all runs through a rubber chase. Not just taped together.

Also has anybody relocated the on/off button and where and how. Would like to hide it somewhere off the bars, with no lights running it can stay on all day. Don't care much for looking at a low fuel light for half my ride.

• RacerManX13

Posted March 17, 2016 - 10:05 AM

@Avlisj,

Have you found any answer to this question?  Also, I am looking to pick up a YZF front plate and run it when not trail riding...any recommendations?  I keep seeing blips about an inline resistor, etc.

- Thanks!

• avlisj

Posted March 17, 2016 - 06:25 PM

@Avlisj,

Have you found any answer to this question? Also, I am looking to pick up a YZF front plate and run it when not trail riding...any recommendations? I keep seeing blips about an inline resistor, etc.

- Thanks!

No replies about thinning the wiring loom. Tells me I should just leave it be. If you unplug and remove the odo and bracket, remove mounting bracket and relocate the on off button elsewhere, the wiring can easily be zip tied tight and a yzf number plate fits flush with the forks. I took a strip of metal and attached between the two 8mm bolt holes on the front of the top triple clamp that the odo assembly used. I also zip tied the loose wiring to this strip so it's secure and moves with the front end. All nicely tucked behind the plate. Then put a hole and 8mm bolt in the middle that the number plate middle tab could be bolted to. Just relocate the hole on the plate back some.

Still would like to remove the excess wiring. Any help? Only want to keep the h4 headlight power and On /off low fuel plugs

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • avlisj

Posted March 17, 2016 - 06:31 PM

@Avlisj,

Have you found any answer to this question? Also, I am looking to pick up a YZF front plate and run it when not trail riding...any recommendations? I keep seeing blips about an inline resistor, etc.

- Thanks!

In line resistor is attached to the odo bracket. Is white, about 1 1/2 in long. 1/4 thin. If removed the low fuel stays on at all times. Doesn't affect running. So far left it all attached. Just have it zip tied in the bundle now the mounting bracket is gone.

Edited by avlisj, March 17, 2016 - 06:35 PM.

• RacerManX13

Posted March 17, 2016 - 06:49 PM

So, when you removed the light you installed an inline resister to take care of the load?  But, without the resistor the only impact is the low fuel level light being on?  And yes!...super helpful!

• avlisj

Posted March 17, 2016 - 07:22 PM

So, when you removed the light you installed an inline resister to take care of the load? But, without the resistor the only impact is the low fuel level light being on? And yes!...super helpful!

Didn't put any resistor in line. The one that's already there, I believe has to do with the fuel level circuitry. Only believe this from previous post that I've read. I have no personal proof. The headlight or H4 plug, I just leave unplugged and taped for water proofing. No more load on it since no light. The small running light also just unplugged and taped. Been riding over a year
Like this with no problems.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 19, 2016 - 01:15 PM

The resistor is for the day time running light or whatever the small bulb is called.   You don't need the resistor for anything.  The bike runs fine without it.

After I removed the odo and number plate (so I could install a good LED headlight) I got tired of having the big connector dangling in the triple clamp.   I finally cut it off.

Some of the wires in the harness are terminated together in the odo pod.   I think you have to tie all the power wires together (reds or browns, I can't remember)  as well as a few ground wires. (Black)

I'll solder the connector back on when I sell the bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.