- - - - -

16 450F Triple Clamps

• Please sign in to reply

61 replies to this topic
  • Edge316

TT Silver Member

505 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 10:03 PM

All they did to the 16 frame was beef it up by 12mm back by the swingarm and the changed the upper motor mounts!

• RAR

TT Bronze Member

356 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 07:01 AM

Ok I finally tried the 22mm triple clamps on my 16 yz450f and it was a huge improvement. I was just hoping to see an improvement on flat corners/ sweepers and it improved the bike on all turning. Gone is the sensation of the front end feeling like it could wash out from under me. I also did not feel any negative changes with the 22mm clamps either. For me the 22mm is a no brainer. I know some guys are fine with the 25mm clamp but in my opinion the 22mm is what Yamaha should have stuck with. I won't be going back to the 25mm...at least not for motocross. I'll have to see how it works out in the desert.

Do you think the re-valve combined with the clamps is contributing to the cornering and handling of the bike?  What sag are you running now?  I have a stock 2016 YZ450 and weigh 275 without gear.  I've been primarily riding a tight mx/sx style track... no huge jumps.  I've never even bothered with sag since I know the springs are too light anyway.  What I notice more than anything is the bike responds to how I'm feeling that day.  If I'm not smooth entering a corner, it upsets the balance and the front end pushes.  Other times, I never even notice turning issues and I just ride... that's when I'm feeling good.   I did slide the forks up 5mm before I ever rode it.  I just stiffened the compression this past weekend all the way around and it feels better.  Forks 7 clicks out... shock same, I think.

Edited by RAR, June 01, 2016 - 07:10 AM.

• Edge316

TT Silver Member

505 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 10:29 AM

First off you definitely need to get the correct spring rate for your weight . Now to answer your question, I noticed a overall improvement after the revalve and after getting the bike dialed in BUT I never could totally eliminate the push in flat corners. Once I installed the 22mm the push and the sensation that it could washout was eliminated. My 16 yz450f is now handling great...I have no complaints!

• RAR

TT Bronze Member

356 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 08:41 AM

Haha... yeah, I know.  I have had some semi hard landings but still haven't bottomed forks.  This suspension is far superior to my past bikes, which were revalved and sprung for my weight.  Even had ohlins on my KTM SX250 2-T. 

I can only imagine what this bike sprung for my weight would perform like... I'm ordering springs soon.

• vossman23

TT Bronze Member

230 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 02, 2016 - 09:49 AM

Are you gonna change the springs and wait on a revalve? I ask cause I'm in the same situation as you. Please let us/me know how the new springs work.

• RAR

TT Bronze Member

356 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 11:19 AM

Just springs... no plans to revalve.  

• RAR

TT Bronze Member

356 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 07:26 AM

Just springs... no plans to revalve.  

Can anyone recommend a shop to buy springs from?  I wanted KYB OEM springs for piece of mind... there are inconsistencies in aftermarket spring rates, unless the they are measured, IMO. 

I emailed Enzo (Craig Decker) a couple of days ago and I haven't had a response. 

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 03, 2016 - 08:04 AM

Suspension Direct can supply genuine KYB.  They are in fact a higher quality, more consistent spring than any aftermarket.

Ant dealer should be able to provide whatever is in the catalog (on the "Alternate" parts page).  Bear in mind they are listed in Newtons and not kg/mm. 

• GHILL28

TT Addict

3,842 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 08:15 AM

Suspension Direct can supply genuine KYB.  They are in fact a higher quality, more consistent spring than any aftermarket.

Any data to support that?

My testing of rear shock springs across a few different generations has found the KYB's to be the MOST inconsistent (most progressive over the longest part of the stroke), and the LOWEST quality (inconsistent end-gaps - related to inconsistent rates).  Most of the aftermarket springs cure these issues (Eibach, DSP, Race Tech).  I know first-hand the DSP springs are nice and linear and are basically always bang-on their marked rate.

The frames already have a rate-modifying linkage.  I don't know why they think it's a benefit to have additional non-linearity from the coil.  Having the top of the stroke be really light like that just eats travel and requires a lot more coil preload.

I know nothing about the consistency of the KYB fork springs versus any others.

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 03, 2016 - 08:34 AM

Any data to support that?

The experience of 3 professional suspension builders.  Are you comparing steel to steel?

As far as forks go, KYB's are the only ones I've ever used that never make noise by rubbing the sides against things in the fork.

• GHILL28

TT Addict

3,842 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 08:45 AM

Steel to steel, yes.

Do they have data supporting that?

I've seen aftermarket ones rub and make noise.  But, they also stop pretty quickly and come out looking polished.  I think it's a given that with the length and flimsiness of fork springs, they're ALL going to rub.  It's just a matter of whether they make noise or not.  So it's likely a surface finish issue?  I know the '14+ fork springs bow like crazy because they're an inch longer than the older ones.  Even the stock ones will rub and make noise.  They bow enough to make the fork more progressive in rate too - solved by spacing the spring seat downwards and using an older style spring.

• RAR

TT Bronze Member

356 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 07:24 PM

So Enzo got back with and here are the recommendations.  Enzo is much heavier on the forks, and Race Tech suggests a heavier rear spring.

Enzo = .56 fork and 6.6 rear

Race Tech Spring Calucator = .50 fork and 7.0 rear

• GHILL28

TT Addict

3,842 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 07:34 PM

I would trust Enzo's advice over RaceTech's.  Looking at those numbers, the Enzo numbers look more reasonable and balanced anyways.

I'm 185# before gear, wear a vest with tools and 70oz water, and have a 3g tank.  I run .50kg front and 6.2kg rear, which by most standards is a tad on the stiff side, but the chassis feels perfectly balanced, and I can't overwhelm it.  Corners mighty nice too.  I can honestly say I haven't ever ridden anything that's so composed in braking and accel bumps.

My same fork springrate with a 15% higher rear springrate would be out of balance for any rider weight.

• RAR

TT Bronze Member

356 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 09:04 PM

I would trust Enzo's advice over RaceTech's.  Looking at those numbers, the Enzo numbers look more reasonable and balanced anyways.

I'm 185# before gear, wear a vest with tools and 70oz water, and have a 3g tank.  I run .50kg front and 6.2kg rear, which by most standards is a tad on the stiff side, but the chassis feels perfectly balanced, and I can't overwhelm it.  Corners mighty nice too.  I can honestly say I haven't ever ridden anything that's so composed in braking and accel bumps.

My same fork springrate with a 15% higher rear springrate would be out of balance for any rider weight.

Cool... Thank you!

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,108 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 03:48 AM

I like the procircuit link, it lowers rear 7mm but is more firm on initial compression. With 4mm up on forks it seems about perfect with 100mm sag

• jimbopitts

TT Bronze Member

169 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 04:22 AM

I haven't played with a different offset but i am using the longer pro ciruit link in the rear and slid the forks up 5 mm and pretty much achieved what you said you're looking for in this post

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,108 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 07:40 AM

I haven't played with a different offset but i am using the longer pro ciruit link in the rear and slid the forks up 5 mm and pretty much achieved what you said you're looking for in this post

I just put mine on and rode yesterday, 5mm on forks with how much preload? Feel just slightly too low at 103mm sag and 3.5mm forks up. Thinking 100mm sag and 5 mm forks?

• jimbopitts

TT Bronze Member

169 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 12:01 PM

I just put mine on and rode yesterday, 5mm on forks with how much preload? Feel just slightly too low at 103mm sag and 3.5mm forks up. Thinking 100mm sag and 5 mm forks?

100mm. So far so good

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,108 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 03:29 PM

100mm. So far so good

I put the forks up to 5mm from triple clamp to seam of cap/leg, got sag at 100mm with about 30mm free sag....I can stand flat footed on this bike. Can't wait to ride it, 1/4 inch lower feels huge

• jimbopitts

TT Bronze Member

169 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 08:16 AM

100mm. So far so good

Let me know how you like it set up that way. Im happy with it

I put the forks up to 5mm from triple clamp to seam of cap/leg, got sag at 100mm with about 30mm free sag....I can stand flat footed on this bike. Can't wait to ride it, 1/4 inch lower feels huge

Im happy with it

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.