removed starter,now there's no spark.

6 replies to this topic
  • mrpip27

Posted March 07, 2004 - 01:39 PM

ok,i just got an 03 wr450 and removed the battery,starter and all the wires connecting them as it never seemed to work anyway.i also removed all the switches and wires at the front of the bike except for the kill switch.unfortunatly,the bike will no longer kickstart as there doesn't seem to be any spark.
what did i do wrong? i'm feeling that maybe something needs to be grounded but i'm really lost!
any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm supposed to be riding wednesday and really don't want to have to put everything back on (even if i could remeber how!!)
thanks in advance,pip.

• Junior_Vet

Posted March 07, 2004 - 01:42 PM

I think that you will still need the on/off switch to use the bike with the kickstarter. Or you will have to compensate for not having it by hooking it up straight.

Check the electronic diagram in the manual. It shows that the on/off switch is required. :)

• N7SLC

Posted March 07, 2004 - 02:39 PM

Aside from the fact that you probably need the on/off switch to get
the bike to run without the battery, you may also need to add a
capacitor of some sort across the battery leads to prevent damage to
the CDI unit.

There's been a few guys reporting that type of trouble when removing
the battery from their DRZs...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • timvv51

Posted March 07, 2004 - 03:15 PM

I left my little on off button intact. It still glows red as you are kicking thru. Due to the fact that my kill switch self destructed some time back I thought I would still need that on off button. It works perfectly that way. Tim

• The_Blue_One

Posted March 07, 2004 - 04:42 PM

ok,i just got an 03 wr450 and removed the battery,starter and all the wires connecting them as it never seemed to work anyway.i also removed all the switches and wires at the front of the bike except for the kill switch.unfortunatly,the bike will no longer kickstart as there doesn't seem to be any spark.
what did i do wrong? i'm feeling that maybe something needs to be grounded but i'm really lost!
any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm supposed to be riding wednesday and really don't want to have to put everything back on (even if i could remeber how!!)
thanks in advance,pip.

You need to tape the wires that hooked up to the on/off switch together or put it back on.You also need to hook the ground wire that hooked onto the starter back up.You can run it back down or make a shorter wire and hook it to one of the airbox screws.

I can tell you which wires from the switch to tape together if you'd like.Just let me know and I'll go and see which ones they are.

• mrpip27

Posted March 07, 2004 - 07:13 PM

oh dear.now i'm really confused!i have re-connected the on/off switch,turned to on and still nothing.as for the ground wire from the starter,if i remember,that went to the battery,so now with no battery and no starter what would this be grounding? and as far as running something between the battery cables,they are no longer on the bike.now i'm really worried.please help!! pip. :)

• mrpip27

Posted March 07, 2004 - 07:46 PM

ok guys,panics over! i went out to the garage again and realised what ground you meant.phew,life saver!thanks to all of you that responded.i would have slept terrible tonite!!blue one,if you could let me know which wires to connect for the on/off switch and weather i can connect them before the connector to create less mess behind the #plate,i would be eternally thankful.thanks again you guys.pip (aka relieved of murrieta) :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.