Break in process with new top end...

5 replies to this topic
  • JEdwardsJr

Posted March 08, 2016 - 04:33 PM

Just rebuilt my top end on my 2004 yz450f. New high compression piston, stage 1 hot cams with all new gaskets and rings of course. Trying to find a break in process. Been thinking 4 hours easy riding, not to high RPMS or to low. Then change the oil. But that's only an idea. Anyone got anything else to help? Thanks for reading.

• norsepeak

Posted March 08, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Ride it like you stole it from the get go. Done that with every bike, sled and atv if ever had..and there have been a lot of them. They've all run fantastic the whole time I owned them.

• Monk

Posted March 08, 2016 - 08:25 PM

I would do about 5min of half throttle and ride it like you would everyday...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JEdwardsJr

Posted March 08, 2016 - 11:29 PM

Thank you guys. Just making sure I'm good to go. Still gonna change out the oil after the 1st ride.

• knuckleduster271

Posted March 09, 2016 - 07:16 PM

Ive always used motomans 25 mile procedure.
Never had an issue using this break in
http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm

I always cut the first filter open and see whats inside also.

Edited by knuckleduster271, March 09, 2016 - 07:18 PM.

• NW Briff

Posted March 09, 2016 - 08:04 PM

I would do the first oil change at an hour or two. You will find lots of metal in the break in oil.

Second is always let the engine warm up thoroughly. Especially with a forged piston. Different metals expand at different rates and you want everything to seat properly.

Dont let the bike overheat

Personally, i would also avoid overreving (ie downshifting by accident while at high rpm and the back tire doesnt skid) and rev limiter bounces if at all possible till your sure its broken in.

(from here is mostly opinion:)

Last is Avoid constant rpm for long periods of time.

Unless you race the bike and change the piston at the manufacturers recommendations it doesnt hurt to take a little precaution to make sure the engine lasts as long as possible

Edited by NW Briff, March 09, 2016 - 08:31 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.