Any Yz450FX engine failures?

Yamaha YZ450F Engine

33 replies to this topic
  • neilnice

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:18 AM

the new style yzf bikes with the front Intake are not good for snow bikes due where the air filter and intake is. Alot of snow collects in the shrouds and the air filter. When the snow the water drips right past the air filter and into the throttle body. Could start some serious issues

• drtrcr400

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:43 AM

the new style yzf bikes with the front Intake are not good for snow bikes due where the air filter and intake is. Alot of snow collects in the shrouds and the air filter. When the snow the water drips right past the air filter and into the throttle body. Could start some serious issues

An outer wear type material over the inlet ducts or the Flo Racing pre filters should solve this problem quite easily. That being said, I sure cringe when I think about the abuse even a 450 takes when set up as a snow bike. Now that CR500 snow bike on the other hand:D

• neilnice

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:45 AM

I agree.. I feel like the 2 stroke snowbike would work a lot better then the 4 strokes.. just like snowmobiles

• RockerYZWR

Posted March 09, 2016 - 07:01 AM

If these failures are legitimate, I think when people post that the YZ450FX engines have problems with their oil pumps and a number of engines have been failing, in the context of something like a snowbike - which is undisputedly cool, but not at all what the bike was designed for - it is misleading, creates undue bad press for the OEM, and will eventually serve the internet as a difficult-to-find source of bad rumors about the machine. It would be the same as people complaining about engine failures when Robbie Maddison or Myth Busters rides a dirt bike in a body of water and drowns it completely.

• Darvo

Posted March 09, 2016 - 07:39 AM

The owner of the bikes in question said that the oil filters were completely dry when he pulled them out, that's why he thinks it's a oil pump failure.

I have around 600 hours on 450mx bikes as snowbikes, not one failure.  Snowbiking is not as hard on a bike as you guys seem to think it is.  

• cowboyona426

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:05 AM

Curious how many of you guys in this thread that are saying how hard snow biking is on a bike, or how the YZ's don't make a good snowbike, or some of the other nonsense I've read in this thread have actually owned or ridden a snowbike?  Yes they take some time and money to set up right and keep the water out but there's a lot of misinformation slinging around in this thread.

• Darvo

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:24 AM

Curious how many of you guys in this thread that are saying how hard snow biking is on a bike, or how the YZ's don't make a good snowbike, or some of the other nonsense I've read in this thread have actually owned or ridden a snowbike?  Yes they take some time and money to set up right and keep the water out but there's a lot of misinformation slinging around in this thread.

Agreed!  

Those who know the least always seem to speak the loudest.   :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted March 09, 2016 - 12:02 PM

Funny last time I checked this used to be a motorcycle forum. I'm a little courios if anyone thinks dragging all the extra snow crap through heavy snow doesn't take a hp fight.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 09, 2016 - 01:01 PM

I've ridden snowmobiles.   I don't snow bike because of the avalanche risk.  

If you don't think a snowbike takes more power you are smoking something good.  Ever heard of motocrossers wanting to put a turbo on their 450F because it doesn't have enough power ?   Ever seen a CR500 held WOT for several minutes on dirt ?  Ever seen people lapping up used Husaberg 570s so they have "enough" power for their SBike ?   Welcome to snowbiking ! 

I ride with a guy who has been snowbiking since the earliest days of it.  He is constantly trying to get me to do it. Talks about it constantly.   Says the real hold up for awesome snowbikes is finding dirt bikes with enough power.  He rides a stock 300cc 2 stroke on dirt and doesn't complain about the power.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, March 09, 2016 - 01:13 PM.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 09, 2016 - 01:22 PM

I've ridden snowmobiles.   I don't snow bike because of the avalanche risk.  

If you don't think a snowbike takes more power you are smoking something good.  Ever heard of motocrossers wanting to put a turbo on their 450F because it doesn't have enough power ?   Ever seen a CR500 held WOT for several minutes on dirt ?  Ever seen people lapping up used Husaberg 570s so they have "enough" power for their SBike ?   Welcome to snowbiking ! 

I ride with a guy who has been snowbiking since the earliest days of it.  He is constantly trying to get me to do it. Talks about it constantly.   Says the real hold up for awesome snowbikes is finding dirt bikes with enough power.  He rides a stock 300cc 2 stroke on dirt and doesn't complain about the power.

I never said it doesn't take some to turn the track.  What I said was all these claims that snowbiking is "hard" on the bike are being thrown out by people with zero experience with snowbikes.  If it was so bad for the bike then there wouldn't be hundreds out there tearing up the slopes with very few failures that are directly related to being a snowbike (IE, not damage from hitting something or routine maintenance that would be needed anyway).

If you are using avalanches as your excuse not to snowbike then that shows just how little you know of the sport.  The risk of avalanche on a bike is no higher than it is on a sled or a set of skis if you use your head and educate yourself on what to watch for.

• RockerYZWR

Posted March 09, 2016 - 02:05 PM

The owner of the bikes in question said that the oil filters were completely dry when he pulled them out, that's why he thinks it's a oil pump failure.

So he pulled the used oil filters out of two different engines that had been run and they were both completely dry? That is highly unusual.
Highly unusual, indeed.

I'll admit, my snowbike experience is limited to watching youtube, but I feel like I'm able to understand some of the really basic concepts of what additional stresses this configuration puts on an engine. School us up if we get off track. Certainly nothing that would cause an oil pump to fail.

No matter what happened, there seems to be an issue with the engines these people are running. If they are all YZ450FX engines in snowbikes - same engines, same applications - maybe it's just a freakish coincidence. But dual, independent oil pump failures in two engines with no prior history of the problem just seems unlikely. So unlikely that it's driving some of the people in this thread to call b.s.

I suppose we'll just have to stand by for more details.

• Darvo

Posted March 09, 2016 - 03:59 PM

So he pulled the used oil filters out of two different engines that had been run and they were both completely dry? That is highly unusual.
Highly unusual, indeed.

That's what I read.  Seems like there is a problem, but I don't know.

I'll admit, my snowbike experience is limited to watching youtube, but I feel like I'm able to understand some of the really basic concepts of what additional stresses this configuration puts on an engine. School us up if we get off track. Certainly nothing that would cause an oil pump to fail.

No matter what happened, there seems to be an issue with the engines these people are running. If they are all YZ450FX engines in snowbikes - same engines, same applications - maybe it's just a freakish coincidence. But dual, independent oil pump failures in two engines with no prior history of the problem just seems unlikely. So unlikely that it's driving some of the people in this thread to call b.s.

I suppose we'll just have to stand by for more details.

It no doubt takes more power to turn the track and to push the bike through deep snow than it does to spin a wheel in the dirt.  Long periods of high RPM's are common on snowbikes.  I understand how people who have never tried them can come to the conclusion that they would be death to a motor.  

BUT I've been riding snowbike kits for a long time, I've put tons of hours on them, I beat the crap out of them and hold my bike pinned all day.  I've been through 4 different 450mx bikes that were mainly used for snow, all have had over 150 hours on stock motor parts only one has needed a valve adjustment.  I know the current owners of my past bikes too, and they're still running with no problems, a couple never even get the tires put back on.  My close snowbiking group of over 10 riders will all tell the same story!

My best guess is that the extra load that snowbiking puts on these motors is offset by the cool clean air that they're breathing during the winter.  But that's just a guess.  I do take precautions to keep my bikes at optimal operating temps at all times.

I currently do oil changes every 3 rides and often wonder why because the oil looks just as clean coming out as it does when I put it in.

• jrusher

Posted March 09, 2016 - 04:28 PM

The new Yzfs are about the best bike to use and easiest to set up as a snow bike then again that could change if more failures start to happen.. Air intake is nice and high on the yz block intake openings like my pic with prefilter material  or run a pod filter with pre filter done .. Never have had intake plugging isssues like other bikes

Attached Thumbnails

• air intake fx.JPG

• mobgma

Posted March 20, 2016 - 09:14 PM

subbed

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.