Should i get a shift lever made out of a certain material?

5 replies to this topic
  • colerlone

Posted March 07, 2016 - 06:31 PM

I remember reading once to get a shift that will bend beforw it bends inside the transmission, should i get aluminum?

• stevethe

Posted March 07, 2016 - 06:58 PM

I remember reading once to get a shift that will bend beforw it bends inside the transmission, should i get aluminum?

Hum most all the stock and aftermarket are aluminum. Nothing wrong with stock.

• Islay426

Posted March 07, 2016 - 10:55 PM

Not often you get a steel one now, go for an aluminium or like said above just keep it standard. Aluminium also won't strip your shaft spline as easy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted March 08, 2016 - 02:09 AM

I ran a steel IMS shifter on my '08 for seven years without issue. Never had to change it after 400+ hours.

The stock shifter on my '13 had to be replaced at 100ish hours as the splines stripped out. I replaced it with an aftermarket aluminum shifter...will have to wait and see how it holds up.

• Islay426

Posted March 08, 2016 - 02:26 AM

Might need to try a steel one if you got that out it! Always scared that of I come off its going to catch something and strip the shaft spline! The ali ones do seem to go pretty quick though, special as i'm pretty hard on the gears, something I need to improve.

• Goforaride

Posted March 10, 2016 - 08:17 PM

Might need to try a steel one if you got that out it! Always scared that of I come off its going to catch something and strip the shaft spline! The ali ones do seem to go pretty quick though, special as i'm pretty hard on the gears, something I need to improve.

drinking some kool-aid?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.