YZ450FX electric start on YZ450F

7 replies to this topic
  • RAR

Posted March 07, 2016 - 02:17 PM

Forgive me if this has been asked already... I did a search and did not find anything.

Does anyone know if this will be possible or sold as a kit from Yamaha to retrofit the 2016 motocrosser with an electric start?  I just bought a 2016 YZ450F and looking at the YZ450FX, the engine looks the same.

• CSAR FE

Posted March 07, 2016 - 02:27 PM

I think Yamaha redesigned the engine case on the fx to accept electric start, so if it is possible to retrofit an F model, it's probably very expensive.

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2016 - 03:00 PM

No kit.  If you wanted to use the FX starter, and IF the starter motor mounting bosses exist on the YZ450F crankcases, you would need at minimum, the FX crankshaft, the starter drive components, the FX/WR flywheel and stator, the left side crankcase cover, the motor, switches and battery.   Rough guess?  $1500. 

Of course, you might also need crankcases.

• RAR

Posted March 07, 2016 - 10:20 PM

Cool... thanks for the info.  I guess if it becomes a real problem I'll trade up to an electric start model if and when they come out.  I rode the 16 KTM 350 & 450 SX models and have to admit that the e-button is nice for an over 40, overweight rider. 

I got my 2016 YZ450F today and my KTM e-button friends are already giving me grief...  but I just mention the KYB SSS suspension vs their 4CS. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mobgma

Posted March 15, 2016 - 09:31 PM

Would have been cheaper to buy FX and redo the forks.

• Monk

Posted March 15, 2016 - 09:48 PM

No kit. If you wanted to use the FX starter, and IF the starter motor mounting bosses exist on the YZ450F crankcases, you would need at minimum, the FX crankshaft, the starter drive components, the FX/WR flywheel and stator, the left side crankcase cover, the motor, switches and battery. Rough guess? $1500.

Of course, you might also need crankcases.

Cases are the same, priced out so far, $2200...so many little parts...

I think Yamaha redesigned the engine case on the fx to accept electric start, so if it is possible to retrofit an F model, it's probably very expensive.

Main cases are the same...

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2016 - 05:31 AM

Cases are the same, priced out so far, $2200...so many little parts...

I guessed they would be, based on the Gen2 engines.  They also had starter bosses and the idler pin socket fully machined on the YZ450.  There's a lot of hardware involved in the starter system, though.

• zaffa86

Posted June 27, 2016 - 03:40 PM

Not that the new 4 strokes are hard to kick over by any means? Even for a 40 plus overweight you can the things like 2 strokes and they still start!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.