JB Weld or Replace Crankcase Cover

11 replies to this topic
  • jimmym

Posted March 06, 2016 - 10:19 PM

I just noticed a very small oil leak coming from under the left side crankcase cover, maybe 1 drop every 3 or 4 minutes. Looking closer it looks like I hit something, or something very hard popped up and hit me. I jumped online and was prepared to order a new cover, but then wondered if such a small puncture could be welded or even JB welded?  

I have always replaced covers when cracked, but have heard such minor injuries can be easily repaired with JB weld or other such products. This bike has approx. 80 on hours on her, would it be a stupid risk to JB weld rather than replace the entire crankcase cover?

IMG_20160306_223559.jpg

IMG_20160306_223607.jpg

• wizbangdoodle

Posted March 06, 2016 - 11:02 PM

I've been on rides where a buddy cracked his side case. We used that steel putty stuff (JB Weld in stick form) and it worked great. That being said, do you really want to be worrying about it your whole ride?

• stevethe

Posted March 07, 2016 - 06:36 AM

Your case can be repaired with JB weld. However it is weak in that area. You might also check on EBay for a reasonable replacement.

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2016 - 11:52 AM

I rode with a much more badly damaged left side cover for most of a year until I found a reasonably priced replacement.  Prep the surface by cleaning the paint off, rough up the metal surface well, and clean it oil free, then JB or other good two part epoxy.

• jimmym

Posted March 08, 2016 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to replace the cover, which is obviously the better move. And the cost wasn't too bad @ $130, including gasket.

Anyway, I seem to remember crawling over some large rocks that may have inflicted this harm to my baby. The stock skid plate took most of the damage, but it's not wide enough to protect this section of the crankcase cover that hangs out. Any suggestions on a larger plate that will properly protect the entire case?

• wizbangdoodle

Posted March 08, 2016 - 10:51 PM

I use Devol's skid plate. Seems to do the job.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • geoffthechef

Posted June 04, 2016 - 02:54 PM

Has anybody found a skid plate that protects he side cover from being cracked by the shifter? It's happened a few times so unless I stop flipping the bike....

• AtomicGeo

Posted June 05, 2016 - 07:32 AM

Has anybody found a skid plate that protects he side cover from being cracked by the shifter? It's happened a few times so unless I stop flipping the bike....

Maybe just learn to fall to the right.  :excuseme:

• Pancho_Jsy

Posted June 07, 2016 - 01:42 AM

The gap between the gear lever and generator cover is usually too small to allow a cover or guard to fit between. The solution is a billet generator cover from someone like Hinson or GYTR http://www.ebay.co.u...EsAAOSwPhdVSd-D

• bigl

Posted June 08, 2016 - 02:55 AM

You should file off the sharp corner on the shift lever facing the motor.  Round edges shouldn't punch through that easily.

• patrick2wd

Posted June 09, 2016 - 05:10 AM

this might be a little wide...

reviews-3-0-69548800-1464298580_zpsqn8ow

:smirk:

• vossman23

Posted June 09, 2016 - 09:13 AM

That's protection right there.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.