Wheel, forks, triple clamps after wreck

6 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted March 06, 2016 - 03:31 PM

So I layed over my FX over the week to 3 broken ribs, which is a bummer, bike was feeling really good. When I got back home I noticed the wheel was not in the same direction as my fender and triple clamps. So I loosened the triple clamps and the axle pinch bolts. The wheel seems to go back in alignment for the most part. I still don't know if it's even and obviously I haven't been able to do any other testing. The wheel seems to spin straight. Could I have done something to the forks? That is the biggest question, is there any give that can happen? Hopefully I haven't messed anything up, just wondering if any of you have seen this happen.

• damnbiker94

Posted March 06, 2016 - 04:24 PM

Its common to tweak the front end out of alignment in a spill. Best thing to do is loosen the axle, axle pinch bolts, and the lower fork clamp pinch bolts. Then facing the front of the bike, place your knees on each side of the front tire, ans use the handlebars to straighten and center the front wheel. Then, while using the front brake, compress the front suspension several times to make sure everything is settled. Then torque the lower fork clamp pinch bolts, the axle, then the axle pinch bolts. Be sure to follow that order and use an accurate torque wrench.

• damnbiker94

Posted March 06, 2016 - 04:26 PM

Unless you feel binding in the forks while compressing the front end, your forks are most likely undamaged. The are incredibly durable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RockerYZWR

Posted March 06, 2016 - 04:58 PM

What damnbiker said. I whiskey throttled into a wall hard one time on my YZ and the front end was all kinds of out of alignment. Once I could use my right arm again, I loosened everything up and then put it all back together. No issues. Sorry to hear about the get-off. Hopefully no lasting injuries.

• bigvaportrail

Posted March 06, 2016 - 07:25 PM

to bad on a new bike and all hope your ok

Edited by bigvaportrail, March 07, 2016 - 03:34 PM.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 07, 2016 - 01:04 PM

You can also lift the bike up on a stand, spin the front wheel and lock up the front brake to help center/align the front wheel.

• NW Briff

Posted March 07, 2016 - 01:55 PM

I usually use cowboys method. My buddy was a bike tech at a shop for a few years and this is the method he was taught to use.

I have seen someone bend/grenade a fork before. Look them over closely and cycle them individually to make sure they are both working smoothly

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.