2004 YZ450F weird cold start

2 replies to this topic
  • diesel_dean1

Posted March 06, 2016 - 01:56 PM

Okay. So I have a 2004 YZ450F and its very weird with starting. Oil is immaculate as well as filter and air filter. I run 96 octane pump 93 mixed with 100LL avgas. And for some reason my bike likes to start with the hotstart when its cold. When its hot. It doesnt even need it. And sometimes to start it needs choke and sometimes it doesnt its weird. Its kept in a heated garage. Im not sure whats up but it has insane response. Its got plenty of power. And I got this not too long ago after moving off of a two stroke. I just didnt want to deal with pistons and what not. And I wanted to try out a fourstroke. So could I be flooding it? I've ridden my buddies yz400f and you have to snap the throttle to spit some fuel into the motor. and iM not surenif its the same

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • diesel_dean1

Posted March 06, 2016 - 08:16 PM

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2016 - 08:32 PM

Part of the problem could be fuel related.  Home brewed fuel based on AVgas will sometimes exhibit hard starting when cold, especially in the colder months of the year.  Whether the mix actually ends up being 96 octane, pump 93 is more than the stock bike needs.  The behavior you're describing sounds like an overall lean condition.  

You might try switching out the fuel with straight pump premium to see what effect that has on starting.  

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.