Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Yamaha WR450F 2016

• Please sign in to reply

34 replies to this topic
  • KazumaRyu

TT Silver Member

561 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 02:13 PM

Where did you buy your wheels? That's awesome, by the way.
I've been thinking of converting my '11 over to super moto when I get either a FX or the new WR and was looking at motoxindustries - they are Warp 9 wheels though. Tough to beat Excel.

Look at DNA racing. I got mine for $650. Don't mind the used tires I put on.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1458857593951.jpg

• KazumaRyu

TT Silver Member

561 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 02:15 PM

Figured I'd share my backwards motor supermoto love

Attached Thumbnails

• 1458857730654.jpg

• RockerYZWR
1,396 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 24, 2016 - 02:16 PM

Look at DNA racing. I got mine for $650. Don't mind the used tires I put on.

Sweet. So if you're not buying Excel, who's better, DNA or Warp 9?

• KazumaRyu

TT Silver Member

561 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 02:21 PM

DNA by a long shot. Warp nine stepped up their game in late 2014 and stopped buying cheap Chinese rims. But sometimes they still have fitment issues. Especially on new bikes or older stuff that isn't common. DNA quality is a little higher than warp nine but I know DNA that are trying to better the supermoto community. This is my third set of DNA and I've had two warp9 and one excel. The excel is by far the best of the three. But it's actually the heaviest as well

• RacerManX13

TT Newbie

7 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 05:13 PM

Righto so the much awaited new WR450f has arrived so show us what you got, the mods you have done, tips & tricks.

I got mine a few weeks back i plan on racing off-road with it but until the races come around I'm racing some MX on it and coming from a YZ450f its not that noticeable with the extra weight.

Mods i have done so far;

Remove the foam and kettle from the air box.

Full FMF/GYTR Ti muffler and SS header lets it breathe i didn't even bother to start it with that pee shooter on it.

Front and rear Excel wheels and hubs blue hubs and nipples black rims, I'm hard on wheels I don't even bother with stock wheels just throw them back on when i sell the bike and it looks good.

270mm GYTR/Braking front rotor its a really nice feel and the brakes are comparable to my 14 KTM450SXf

Kroozetune 30mm lowering link really smooth's out the rear end I'm still working on it tho but love it over the stocko.

GYTR high seat gives me better body position with the stock seat and the lowering link it felt really cramped.

GYTR sprockets 14/50 think I'll go a 15/50 so i can hold second longer doing MX 

Rear 112mm race sag and i cant remember clicker settings once it bedded in I'll send it off and get it tuned, its still not right now.

Obvioulsy removed all the speedo gear light etc. for doing MX.

Tip if you put a header on it you need to feed it in from the right side, have to take the guard off the starter motor so it fits then put hex head bolts back in to bolt it up as you can't get an allen key in there with the FMF header.

IMG_6254_zpsgegyuwvg.jpgIMG_6251_zpsfrqp0sdo.jpgIMG_6320_zpsu76xz6es.jpgIMG_6348_zps5lpt7qjq.jpgIMG_6347_zps2d7mtjfb.jpgIMG_6256_zpsceoxpyyt.jpg

ebeff9f3-897a-4a39-87d9-eea89911f03a_zps

What did you have to do to remove the headlight, speedo, etc. and how did you remount the on/off switch? 

• chelder

TT Member

77 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 05:15 PM

On off switch stays on the right side no problem there, then just unplug all the blinkers taco/speedo etc. zip ire it all up same at the back tie the harness behind the battery took all of about an hr and she is ready to race!

• starkall

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 07:48 PM

Just picked up a 16' WR450f. Does anyone have any tips on wiring up a rear brake switch to the factory tail light and if it even works? Got a plate already here in MN but need the brake light working. Thank you

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,231 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 08, 2016 - 04:31 AM

Just picked up a 16' WR450f. Does anyone have any tips on wiring up a rear brake switch to the factory tail light and if it even works? Got a plate already here in MN but need the brake light working. Thank you

Sure on US models the brake light wire is there. Simply get a Tusk or other hydraulic switch that screws into the rear brake. One wire goes to the tail light wire the other goes to the blanked wire on the light pig tail. I think it's yellow and black?

• starkall

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 05:06 AM

Sure on US models the brake light wire is there. Simply get a Tusk or other hydraulic switch that screws into the rear brake. One wire goes to the tail light wire the other goes to the blanked wire on the light pig tail. I think it's yellow and black?

Awesome! Thank you much. I have all the "free mods" done so far. I rode it stock right after I got it home and was thinking to myself WTF is this thing so slow! Then started Google searching and found this thread with the help of a friend.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,231 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 08, 2016 - 05:26 AM

Awesome! Thank you much. I have all the "free mods" done so far. I rode it stock right after I got it home and was thinking to myself WTF is this thing so slow! Then started Google searching and found this thread with the help of a friend.

Much more here as well http://www.thumperta...16-wr450f-mods/

Also as you can see Chelder's bike appears to have come equipped from the factory as a street legal version as he is in Australia.

• starkall

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Can't wait to get my brake switch so I can rip around town on it.

• Super_Davee

TT Member

72 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Heres my plated 16 with Excel's. It has a Motomaster front brake set up  on it now.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0372.jpg
  • IMG_0370.jpg

Edited by Super_Davee, July 08, 2016 - 08:59 AM.

• Bryan Rooke

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted November 03, 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hi I've just ordered a 2016 wr450f new arriving in 2weeks ...
I need a bigger tank a rear rack for Morocco trip in January ...
I've done it on twice on gs adventure and the best fun was on Honda Xr400
What was I thinking buying this bike! Just had to have a new 450 ... Any help please

• Super_Davee

TT Member

72 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 05:47 AM

Heres an update after Cycra YZ plastics, Sm fender, and graphics from SK Designs. 

This post has been promoted to a wiki

Attached Thumbnails

• FullSizeR.jpg

• stevethe and RockerYZWR like this
  • Like This

• Bryan Rooke

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 09:28 AM

[quote name="Bryan Rooke" post="13406601" timestamp="1478206746"]Hi I've just ordered a 2016 wr450f new arriving in 2weeks ...
I need a bigger tank a rear rack for Morocco trip in January ...
I've done it on twice on gs adventure and the best fun was on Honda Xr400
What was I thinking buying this bike! Just had to have a new 450 ... Any help please

Update ... Spoke to IMS today and the new 3 gallon tank is on its way ...
My local Motorsport fabricators are going to make me a rack...
We are taking a rv directly to marrakesh so it's only going to be day out in Hamada rides so looking good!

Related Content

Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2016 by 2Speed

Yamaha WR450F 2016
  • 7 reviews
  • Last review by TwentyFive20
  • On August 12, 2016

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.