Another yz426 cold start thread

4 replies to this topic
  • 0bigsilver6

Posted March 05, 2016 - 07:31 PM

I have read numerous threads, but can't really find any info that may pertain to my specific scenario. I just replaced my piston/rings in my 02. I installed a hot cams auto decompression while I was at it. I also changed the valve shims while I was in there to get everything in spec. Before with the decomp lever I could start the bike on 1-3 kicks. Now, it takes about 5-6+ when cold. What else could be contributing to difficult cold starting? Could it be electronics? The spark plug was replaced about a month ago, but I'll probably change it out to a cr8ek or whatever it is just to see if that helps. The pilot jet in the carb is a 42, the needle is in the middle, and I don't recall the main jet and other jet, don't think they'd matter anyways. Anyone have any ideas?

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Even with an auto decompression cam, there is still a "drill" of sorts to starting the bike.  Much simpler, though; push the kick start down to where the engine runs up against compression (the "hard spot") and stop, bring the crank back up to the top and kick.  Don't overthink and try to work past TDC or anything, just kick right from the beginning of the compression stroke as you feel it.  

The other thing that you may need to start doing is priming the engine when cold starting by giving the throttle a couple of twists before you kick.  Cold only.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hakkalugi

Posted March 06, 2016 - 08:16 AM

I noticed with my bike when cold Ill give it a kick with a blip of throttle, then another without it'll usually start or at least pop. If it doesnt i give it another kick with a little blip, again itll pop or start. give that a try! 

• 0bigsilver6

Posted March 06, 2016 - 08:26 AM

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys! I didn't realize I still needed to sort of find TDC before kicking it. That is probably my issue. Will try that next time I start her up!

• NW Briff

Posted March 07, 2016 - 02:50 PM

I rode a 426 for awhile and it was very tempermental about starting technique. Try cycling the engine a few times with the kick starter. Get it on compression Then one good kick from the top. No throttle.

Had excellent results with this technique when the bike was hot as well. I didnt even use the decompression lever unless it didnt start on the 1st or second kick after being dumped.

Edited by NW Briff, March 07, 2016 - 02:56 PM.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.