another cracked tank!

5 replies to this topic
  • DirtDgr

Posted March 16, 2002 - 03:55 PM

....on a friend of mines 2000 426. Sounds like this will plague 426 owners for years to come?!

• yamie_rider

Posted March 16, 2002 - 06:14 PM

Whats the deal with these cracked tanks, where do they usually crack and why.

• BK14MX

Posted March 18, 2002 - 03:34 AM

I wish I knew why, because I've cracked two of them. Mine cracked under the seat junction, on the bottom of the tank, both cracked virtually in the same place. One cracked because of a hard landing, I was OK with that, until the second one cracked under normal riding conditions. The second OEM tank was an 01', which I was later told that it was made thinner to conserve weight. I now have a CLARKE OEM tank, which was less than half the cost of an OEM one, and it has a one year warranty against breakage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • #1_Hit-man

Posted March 18, 2002 - 04:14 AM

BK14MX,

How do you like your Clarke tank, is it a 3.3? Any complaints about anything? I am getting one here soon, just thought I would ask.

I don't think I've anything bad about them, but you just never now.

THANX! for your input ~Hitman~

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: #1 Hit-man ]

• DirtDgr

Posted March 18, 2002 - 05:18 PM

This friend of mine is an OT novice (no big air)and weighs about 190. It cracked at the seat/tank right near the screw. Sucks!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 18, 2002 - 09:16 PM

We are not the only ones with tank problems.......
My friend has a 00' WR and just bought a brand new ..... :D MXC520 :D .....
We went out the the Dez on St Pat's day and gased it up for the first time. (he rode it for 1 block on saturday) It smelled like gas all the way out there but we were driving a PowerStoke so we thought someone had just overfilled their bike and it was coming out an overflow. We unloaded and the first thing we notices was the gas RUNNING out of the KTM! :) We thought at first it was just the petcock. After further examination and puuling the tank......it was coming out of a point in the center of the "saddle" where KTM fastens their tanks with a hole thru the back side of the tank(about 1"dia) There is a seam around it that had a .....pin hole...about the size of a pencil lead....OOZING petrol out like a siv! :D
Rather than going home after a 1 1/2hr drive or starting a fire! :D We broke out the JB weld!
drained out most of the fuel and patched it with JB and waited (not 4 hrs)10min. We figured the heat from the engine would bake the stuff on and he could rectify the trading tank thing with the dealer later!At least we would get to ride!
Worked like a charm. He did run out of gas once on a pretty long ride so we had to lay his bike down and run fuel from my petcock to drip into his tank!!! :D NO ONE REMEMBERED TO BRING A CONTAINER!!!DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!!
Talk about duct tape and barbed wire stories!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.