New project, new eyes needed

9 replies to this topic
  • mrjata

Posted March 03, 2016 - 11:59 PM

Just home with my next project.  My first 4 stoke bike after riding 2 strokers for decades, I though why not?  I have started on the regular stuff for maintenance, SERVICE MANUAL!!, chain, sprockets, brakes, fuel screw, fork seals.

I noticed the throttle is the push/pull.  Do I really need the push cable?  They both seem quite stiff to.  Prob could need a good soaking.

Packing the muffler this weekend.  The test ride had a lot of popping on deceleration.  I have done a search on this on the forums, no good answers.  It sounded like a tuning issue to me.

Needs a rear tire soon, shopping price now.  Might have to wait and recover from this latest shopping spree.

Any help on what I should be doing or looking at, I am all ears (said Spock).  Checking bearing soon too.......

thanks having the absolute best board for bikes on the net!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 00r0r_jfZOha4vDkj_600x450.jpg
  • 01616_lMRdw4FTsTo_600x450.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2016 - 07:59 AM

I noticed the throttle is the push/pull.  Do I really need the push cable?

Yes, for two reasons.  It's not a push cable, it's a pull closed cable, there as a fail safe in the event that the very high vacuum the engine is capable of generating should 'trap" the slide in a partly open position.  The second reason is that without it, you won't have a stop in the twist grip when the throttle closes.  The grip stops against the closing cable.  You're best off replacing both of them as a set if they are even just a little flaky.

Packing the muffler this weekend.  The test ride had a lot of popping on deceleration.  I have done a search on this on the forums, no good answers.  It sounded like a tuning issue to me.

Did you look in Common Threads?: http://www.thumperta...t/#entry2983539

• mrjata

Posted March 04, 2016 - 08:47 AM

Ahh, I see. Good idea, we will see how the cables loosen up if they do.  Have to take carb out and document what jets, needle pos., and install fuel needle in the idle too while I am there.  Got to know a baseline for records.  I will search the old files for ideas on jetting.  It is such a P.I.T.A. but necessary evil.  Been there, done that for decades.

Rather not do the o ring trick, would rather tune it right or put on a stiffer spring.  On Holleys I just put in a stiffer spring.

All ideas are welcome, here, sound off!  Thanks all...

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2016 - 09:12 AM

And there are stiffer AP drive springs avaialble, too.

'That an '09?

• mrjata

Posted March 04, 2016 - 09:33 AM

yup

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2016 - 09:36 AM

Nice.  While looking through the carb, be certain that the pilot jet orifice is completely clear.  They can appear to be open so that air and carb cleaner flow through and the whole thing, but just a dried film of fuel varnish can reduce the effective jet size to something much smaller than the marked size. 

http://www.thumperta...o/#entry6879695

• mrjata

Posted March 06, 2016 - 12:59 PM

Carb off, to get a baseline today, searching jetting ideas today, thanks all

• vossman23

Posted March 07, 2016 - 12:57 PM

You're gonna love the bike.

• mrjata

Posted March 07, 2016 - 10:52 PM

Going through it now.  Found out why no one likes the OEM silencer.  Wow, what restrictions.  Gone now and repacked TIGHT.  Did the BRAP test, yelling through it.  Oh  you know you have done it too.

Jetting correctly too.  Fuel screw here tomorrow.  O ring mod done.  Leak jet 55 put in.  Thinking about just plugging it to get total squirt.  New gears here tomorrow too.  found a steel rear gear that I really like, Wears great is very light and even looks chromed.  Shopping for a chain on ebay still.  Found a DID gold o ring for $50.  Think that is the best I can do on a gold chain.

Bike has been rode and not maintained, so here I come.  Going to run the valves soon too.  Need to see where I am on the clearances.  

For seals to go in too.  Am I the only one who puts in fork seals?  Last 4 bikes I went through needed fork seals.  Now I need the big fork cap wrench for these KYB cartridge forks.  Need to make something.  Hate to spend $15-20 for one job.  Might have some hacks I can do.

Brake pads too.  Cables free-ed up, Need to do an oil change as soon as I start it again.  Will need a rear tire soon, guess I am back to ebay again.

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2016 - 07:30 AM

Leak jet 55 put in.  Thinking about just plugging it to get total squirt.  

Don't

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.