How to "Uncork" the 2016 WR450F?

9 replies to this topic
  • 2016 WR-450 F

Posted March 03, 2016 - 09:52 PM

Yes, I am a newbie but I have read the previous posts on this topic.  I was uneducated on this subject before laying down big bucks on this new bike, didn't test drive it, just read the reviews and thought "this is the bike for me"  After 30 years of not riding I expected this thing to be a rocket but when I first hit the gas i thought, "that's it"?  heck, my Husky 250 from 1977 had more power than this, I was bummed.  Later that day I went over the handlebars and broke 3 ribs...still hurts.

Anyway, have done a lot of reading during my convalescence and learned about the issues holding this thing back. I decided to buy the GYTR competition kit and replace the ECU and throttle stop screw.  Problem is the part number is for 2015 and newer, nothing for the 2016.

Imagine how many ribs I can break with the increased power.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve

• stevethe

Posted March 04, 2016 - 05:27 AM

Yes, I am a newbie but I have read the previous posts on this topic. I was uneducated on this subject before laying down big bucks on this new bike, didn't test drive it, just read the reviews and thought "this is the bike for me" After 30 years of not riding I expected this thing to be a rocket but when I first hit the gas i thought, "that's it"? heck, my Husky 250 from 1977 had more power than this, I was bummed. Later that day I went over the handlebars and broke 3 ribs...still hurts.

Anyway, have done a lot of reading during my convalescence and learned about the issues holding this thing back. I decided to buy the GYTR competition kit and replace the ECU and throttle stop screw. Problem is the part number is for 2015 and newer, nothing for the 2016.

Imagine how many ribs I can break with the increased power.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve

Yeah giving a bike one third throttle doesn't quite show how much power she has.

Punch in 2016 and your ready to rock.
https://www.shopyama...Motorcycle&d=20

You might also look at this
http://www.thumperta...-throttle-stop/
Just don't be too throttle happy. The bike only has double the HP of your old Husky.

Edited by stevethe, March 04, 2016 - 05:40 AM.

• Motodisiac

Posted March 04, 2016 - 11:21 PM

Also pull the restrictor from exhaust tip and the airbox. You are in for big surprise, the bike's power will blow you away

• stevethe

Posted March 05, 2016 - 07:25 AM

What Motodisiac just said, at a minimum the tea kettle and exhaust tip must go.  Just follow the directions that come with the GYTR ECU.Air_zps8cttwvyz.jpg

• Motodisiac

Posted March 05, 2016 - 08:31 PM

BTW if you keep ECU stock, the bike will still be plenty fast. If you managed to hurt yourself with stock throttle screw, maybe it's not a bad idea . Do free things and see how you like it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gize

Posted March 05, 2016 - 09:54 PM

Just brought my 16 WR home from the dealer today, got a huge grin on my face all day. They said the competition ECU isn't in Stock for two more weeks. They did remove the throttle stop and put on the gytr slip-on for me. I'm having a hard time finding info on the 16 model as far as free mods go. Any advice guys? Air box restrictor? So bike doesn't have ECU nor has it been remapped, the bike seems fast but I was hoping for more. Will the ECU, mapping and some free mods make that big of a difference?

• chelder

Posted March 05, 2016 - 10:44 PM

In Aus we get the competition tuner CDI and no throttle screw so here is what else i did;

Full FMF GYTR Ti exhaust system, let it breath.

Gut the foam out of the inside of the intake shrouds.

Remove the kettle thing from the air box.

Tune it to that exhaust using the power tuner and make sure your life insurance is up to date!!

• gize

Posted March 06, 2016 - 09:12 AM

Thanks Chelder, I will look into that.  Doing my first oil change today, and then I plan on greasing up the axles etc.. Ill open up the air box too. Anyone else that bought a 16 WR and have any mods they have done and are happy with, I am all ears :)

• RockerYZWR

Posted March 08, 2016 - 04:35 AM

Take a gander at this thread here, lots of good info:
http://www.thumperta...port-&-Opinions

• Chaconne

Posted March 08, 2016 - 03:51 PM

I am surprised that your dealer didn't at least tell you about this stuff. Like gize said above the dealer did the throttle screw and the pea shooter on my 2014. I don't know, if you are an older rider and don't have full boat safety gear, you might want to think of picking up something up to protect yourself. Even something like an EVS ballistic and some good pads and stuff can help protect ribs and other easy to damage body parts. Even for local practice rides I suit up all the way now --can't afford to miss work and 1977 is long gone in many ways at this point... :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.