• Please sign in to reply

26 replies to this topic
  • bigvaportrail

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 06:33 PM

On My 2011
Do these work ?

Just disassembled my fuel pump and filter.

can go oem just don't want to spend that much money.

Oh and anyone that has disassembled one of these gets my respect and you deserve a merit badge, atta boy , brownie points and an ice cream because it sucked !
Thanks

• cpetz24

TT Bronze Member

427 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 05:38 AM

Funny you posted this.  I just did this last night on my 2011 450f.  I was able to get the pump apart without taking off the short 3" hose but it took some jimmy'ing.  I got the filter out and soaked it in simple green for about 15 min and while still soaking it massaged it and sloshed it around in the simple green to get the particulate out.  I was able to get a lot of crap out of the filter, mainly because I could see the simple green turning a dark black color.  I then ran water through the filter and sprayed it out the best I could.  Dried out the filter, and re-assembled the pump.  (went back together in a snap... pun intended)  

Put it on the bike and it fired right up.  Bike had a noticeable pep back to it and the bog/hesitation under heavy throttle was gone.  

Main reason I took it apart was because in my race this weekend, when I would hit the grass track and go to open the bike up, it would cough and sputter at about 3/4 throttle like it was starving for fuel.  At 0 - 1/2 throttle through the woods it never acted funny, just when you opened it up.  

It's up to you whether you use a new filter, but I was able to get mine to be almost completely white again.  

• bigvaportrail

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 09:58 AM

thank you for the reply...I do not know how you saved the stock fuel line wish i could have

my filter is dark black and I have soaked it overnight in simple green and masssaged it and its still black

so I ordered a hi-flow pump and kit this morning.... I figured if this filter is this dirty for this long the pump might be smoked as well 

Anyone use one and had good results to make me feel warm and fuzzy

• cpetz24

TT Bronze Member

427 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 10:44 AM

Yeah mine wasn't totally black, but it had some discoloration.  

As for taking it off without removing the line, I thought for sure I was going to have an issue with something breaking, but it came off with some persuasion.  I found that if you started with the clip in the back that is in between the filter and the pump housing and then worked on the front clips it allowed you to be able to rotate it enough to get it out.  

Maybe I just got lucky.  And I definitely don't want to do it again.  

• Monk
23,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 01, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Did you clean the injector?

• bigvaportrail

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 12:21 PM

Did you clean the injector?

I have not cleaned it yet.  

what is the best method to clean the injector ?

• Monk
23,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 01, 2016 - 12:37 PM

I have not cleaned it yet.

what is the best method to clean the injector ?

9v battery, compressed air and cleaner...plenty of YouTube videos showing how to do it...

• cpetz24

TT Bronze Member

427 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 12:49 PM

I didn't clean the injector.  My thought process was that if the filter was starting to clog then it must be doing its job and not allowing particulate past.  If the filter was completely clogged then I would be suspect of the injector.  

Again, I only noticed the cut out/hesitation under heavy throttle and when running at high RPM's.  To me, if a injector was clogged it wouldn't run correct at any RPM.  

• Monk
23,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 01, 2016 - 12:56 PM

I didn't clean the injector. My thought process was that if the filter was starting to clog then it must be doing its job and not allowing particulate past. If the filter was completely clogged then I would be suspect of the injector.

Again, I only noticed the cut out/hesitation under heavy throttle and when running at high RPM's. To me, if a injector was clogged it wouldn't run correct at any RPM.

Yup, deductive logic works best. But considering you have the tank off, for the extra 5min to clean the injector, you might as well do it...

• bigvaportrail

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 08:41 PM

It's way longer than 5 minutes to get the injector off ..ha

Checked valves ...all good
New plug
New filter and pump
Injector is going to be tested at the shop so we shall see

• bigvaportrail

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 08:54 PM

thanks again to all

Edited by bigvaportrail, March 02, 2016 - 08:56 PM.

• Monk
23,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 02, 2016 - 09:23 PM

It's way longer than 5 minutes to get the injector off ..ha

Checked valves ...all good
New plug
New filter and pump
Injector is going to be tested at the shop so we shall see

Well I did mine two weeks ago and it only took 5min...could be you lack the same mechanical ability as me...

• bigvaportrail

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 08:43 AM

In order to get to the injector on the throttle body you have to remove the entire upper air filter cage and intake, shrouds ect. 

no big deal

then use a no tamper torx bit to unscrew two little screws to get the injector off

that took less than 5 minutes so maybe Im not so bad after all however I know Im not fast for sure

Im sure your way better no question... Monk come down south so we can go ride and you can help me out :rolleyes:

I'll report back on my results when its all back together so it might help someone else out

thanks again

Edited by bigvaportrail, March 03, 2016 - 08:55 AM.

• WouldsAssassin

TT Bronze Member

450 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 10:44 AM

I used the hi-flo pump and filter I got from Ebay. I've only put a few hours on it so no real report.

I was going to use the OE filter but even after cleaning it white again I didn't feel comfortable putting it back in. The outside looked clean but my concern was what was on the inside that I couldn't back flush out of the filter element.

Again, the bike runs with the new pump but has another issue that wasn't resolved.

JB

• bigvaportrail

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 05:04 PM

So I have 1.5 hours on the hi flow filter. The pump was sent wrong so I put it all back together with the new filter and hose from hi flow not the pump

Couple notes: the supplied hose clamps are large however you can use them in the correct position and still sneak them into your tank. I was concerned about them being permanently submerged in fuel and hi flow said they have no problems so we shall see.

Fuel injector: had the local automotive technology instructor clean and flow test it and replaced the top screen
Cost me pizza for his students is all

Has run very very good so far
Thanks to all for the info

• Monk
23,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 06, 2016 - 06:11 PM

Pulled my fuel pump apart tonight... What a bitch!

• bigvaportrail

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Yes it was super hard for me
I needed 3 hands

Did u use the original fuel line in the fuel pump assembly?

• Monk
23,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 06, 2016 - 07:44 PM

Yes it was super hard for me
I needed 3 hands

Did u use the original fuel line in the fuel pump assembly?

No, had to cut it. At this point I'm up shit creek in terms of a fuel line. It's nylon and hopefully I can find some tomorrow...

• bigvaportrail

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 08:25 PM

I think hi flow sells just the filter assembly

I hope the clamps and hose they sent will work being submerged in fuel 24/7

• Monk
23,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 06, 2016 - 08:41 PM

I think hi flow sells just the filter assembly

I hope the clamps and hose they sent will work being submerged in fuel 24/7

I'll order one up tomorrow. What comes with the kit? Filter, pump, two hose clamps and the 3in fuel line?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.